ATTN: VETS!!! (Scam Alert!) admin please sticky! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: VETS!!! (Scam Alert!) admin please sticky!

justinhcannon
10-11-2007, 08:48
As you probably remember, some people exist simply to screw the joes. For example, the loan sharks right outside the main gate. Remember those guys?
Well, today is no different. The only thing that has changes is the format and technology of the scams. The internet can be a wonderful when used properly. However, it can be easily abused. There are web companies that want your money, and have no plans to give you anything in return. And even if they do, it won't be worth it.
I may have fallen victim today...
There is a website called VetFriends.Com out there. It looks like a great place, and sounds very inviting. It is basically a meeting place for vets, even though I don't recall a verification process (unless it deals with your credit card!). Anyways, let me explain my beef with these guys.
I found this place (through an unsolicited email...1st clue) a few years back and checked it out. You couldn't really see much unless you were a paying member (2nd clue..they get your money first). However, you were allowed to register a name and password, as well as list any units you had been in before (which made it seem somewhat legitimate). However, you actually TYPED IN the name of your unit. That's right, if you typo then that's just how it gets spelled (clue 3).
I've kept getting emails about once a week stating that someone joined that had been in a previous unit. Finally (today) I decided to make my membership "official". I sent my money through MasterCard less than 30 minutes ago, and already regret it.
I signed on as a life member (figured since it was such a nice place, I'd stick around for awhile...pays for itself in three years) at a cost of $97. Then I decided to start searching. Well, here's the amazing part. I put in my individual battalion... and there were dozens of matches- all spelled differently. When you add in the Company, Regiment, or even platoon for some, the list is...well...I don't know how big. They refuse to give all the results...stops right at 100, as that is their stated maximum.
Once I saw this, I got really upset. I saw that there was a verification email in my inbox, and it was a receipt... with an "All Sales Final" remark added in there. Great, too bad you didn't really advertise that fact before I paid.
The website as a whole is entirely unprofessional, and is a grave disapointment. The fact that someone has the gall to charge that much and give so little is gut-wrenching- especially when you consider the market he or she is aiming at. I'm giving them less than 36 hours to refund my money... or the gloves come off.

I think as brethren we should let each other know about possible scams and ripoffs aimed at our people. I am requesting that this thread be stickied so that others can see, and add in their own experiences. Be careful out there. I obviously didn't see the signs. Don't make my mistake.

deadday
10-13-2007, 18:15
Thanks for the heads up brother, I'll pass this around as well.

drew

Blitzer
10-16-2007, 01:51
Originally posted by justinhcannon
As you probably remember, some people exist simply to screw the joes. For example, the loan sharks right outside the main gate. Remember those guys?
Well, today is no different. The only thing that has changes is the format and technology of the scams. The internet can be a wonderful when used properly. However, it can be easily abused. There are web companies that want your money, and have no plans to give you anything in return. And even if they do, it won't be worth it.
I may have fallen victim today...
There is a website called VetFriends.Com out there. It looks like a great place, and sounds very inviting. It is basically a meeting place for vets, even though I don't recall a verification process (unless it deals with your credit card!). Anyways, let me explain my beef with these guys.
I found this place (through an unsolicited email...1st clue) a few years back and checked it out. You couldn't really see much unless you were a paying member (2nd clue..they get your money first). However, you were allowed to register a name and password, as well as list any units you had been in before (which made it seem somewhat legitimate). However, you actually TYPED IN the name of your unit. That's right, if you typo then that's just how it gets spelled (clue 3).
I've kept getting emails about once a week stating that someone joined that had been in a previous unit. Finally (today) I decided to make my membership "official". I sent my money through MasterCard less than 30 minutes ago, and already regret it.
I signed on as a life member (figured since it was such a nice place, I'd stick around for awhile...pays for itself in three years) at a cost of $97. Then I decided to start searching. Well, here's the amazing part. I put in my individual battalion... and there were dozens of matches- all spelled differently. When you add in the Company, Regiment, or even platoon for some, the list is...well...I don't know how big. They refuse to give all the results...stops right at 100, as that is their stated maximum.
Once I saw this, I got really upset. I saw that there was a verification email in my inbox, and it was a receipt... with an "All Sales Final" remark added in there. Great, too bad you didn't really advertise that fact before I paid.
The website as a whole is entirely unprofessional, and is a grave disapointment. The fact that someone has the gall to charge that much and give so little is gut-wrenching- especially when you consider the market he or she is aiming at. I'm giving them less than 36 hours to refund my money... or the gloves come off.

I think as brethren we should let each other know about possible scams and ripoffs aimed at our people. I am requesting that this thread be stickied so that others can see, and add in their own experiences. Be careful out there. I obviously didn't see the signs. Don't make my mistake.

Call your Credit card company and get the charges reversed and report them as a scam to the AG's office.