Update 10-11-07 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Update 10-11-07

Eric
10-11-2007, 15:07
Hi folks. A lot has been happening lately. Here is a quick update:

I have secured webhosting in a new location in Phoenix. I will be going down tomorrow to set up the new equipment I purchased there. I will then come back here and transfer everything to the new servers. Then, it is back to Texas, to retrieve the old equipment. I will be refurbishing four of the newest servers there and deploying them at the new site as well.

There will be some downtime this weekend, while I effect the change. The downtime will be limited to the amount of time it takes me to transfer the GT database to the new location and set it up. To facilitate this change, I am going to prune back posts quite a bit, prune all file attachments older than two weeks, delete the search index table and I am asking that everyone voluntarily go in and prune old Private Messages. The smaller the database is, the fast I can transfer it and bring the site back up.

Then DNS information for the site will change, when we transfer. It is possible that if you have visited the site recently before the transfer, your computer, or your ISP's servers, may have an old lookup for the site once things change. If this occurs, you will not be able to see the site until that cached information is cleared. If the lookup is cached on your system, simply rebooting your computer will clear it out. If your ISP is caching it, try visiting the site at an alternate URL. http://aritah.com/ also points to GT. If you normally use the regular GT address to visit the site and it isn't functioning for you after 6pm on Saturday, try the Aritah URL. If you normally use the Aritah URL, try the GT address. I will have a 'We Moved' message up on the old servers once I have made the transfer, so it will be pretty obvious if you are showing up at the old location. No matter what, all DNS caching and propagation issues should resolve themselves by the end of the weekend.

Once I get things up and stable at the new location, I have to drive back to retrieve the old equipment. It will take me about a week to get there and back, although I will be working on the site during the day, while I am there. I will probably upgrade the site software while I am there, so that should happen by the middle of next week. We are getting close, folks.

The site changeover should go smoothly, but there may be some disruption in email notification services for a day or two. Bear with me.

So we will have some downtime this weekend, which should be limited to four hours or less. We will also have some downtime next week, probably Weds, which shouldn't last much longer. This should be the last of the downtime related to the changeover and upgrade. My new ISP has a 100% uptime guarantee, so once we get past this point, we should have some smooth sailing ahead of us. I will post more info soon. Thanks again for everyone's support. Eric

HerrGlock
10-11-2007, 15:20
If you don't mind too much, what are the old IPs and the new IPs for those of us who run DNS servers and have GT set up with "other than GT" names :supergrin:

PeterJasonMN
10-11-2007, 15:36
Never question Sharon's ability to crash GT.

AZBob
10-11-2007, 16:13
Eric,

Just set the TTL of your DNS server entries to a low value so you don't need to worry about propagation time.

I'm curious. What kind of bandwidth does GT use up on a monthly basis, what's the total user account count, and how big's the database?

geekboy
10-11-2007, 16:40
Originally posted by AZBob
Eric,

Just set the TTL of your DNS server entries to a low value so you don't need to worry about propagation time.Exactly what I do. I have my maximum TTL set to 60 (seconds) right now. You may want to use a value of 600 starting today, so that when you make the change later... it will only take the current master servers (and other caching DNS servers) only 10 minutes to "see" the change (purge the cache). You need to do this sooner rather than later so that within the next 24-48 hours, all DNS servers which have cached the values will now re-check every 10 minutes!

Reyn
10-11-2007, 17:08
Good grief im computer illiterate. Yall might as well have been speaking in Spanish.

Bogey
10-11-2007, 17:19
Originally posted by Reyn
Good grief im computer illiterate. Yall might as well have been speaking in Spanish.

They weren't???

geekboy
10-11-2007, 17:19
Good grief im computer illiterate. Yall might as well have been speaking in Spanish. Hola, yo no hablo INGLES! :)

Eric
10-11-2007, 17:53
Eric,

Just set the TTL of your DNS server entries to a low value so you don't need to worry about propagation time.

I'm curious. What kind of bandwidth does GT use up on a monthly basis, what's the total user account count, and how big's the database?

The TTL's are set low, but there will always be a bit of propagation lag. The bigger issue is people with cached lookups though. Some people's local computers or ISP DNS caches don't clear as often as they should. For most people, this will be a smooth transition, but as always, I will have some orphaned puppies to round up.:supergrin:

I don't know what the new IP numbers will be yet. I've been assigned my subnets, but there is some confusion concerning them. I will know for sure tomorrow.

Right now, GT is using about 1.5TB of bandwidth a month, with throughput that averages in the neighborhood of 9mbs outbound and 2.5mbs or so inbound. The GT database is currently around 7.5GB, but I am hoping to prune it down to around 3GB for the move. Even so, that amount of data will take a bit of time to bring across. Eric

MrCowboy99
10-11-2007, 17:59
Originally posted by geekboy
... maximum TTL ....

TTL = Time To Live :banana: Shouldn't that be in the Caliber section?

How appropriate for a conversation on GT. :rofl:

js_gresham
10-11-2007, 18:40
not that i need 'em but i'll take one for the team and have a couplea margaritas here in cabo for you. . . then i'll duunrkn text mrs. vr for you, too.

:thumbsup:

keep up the good work, Eric.

js

10-11-2007, 19:20
Oh crap, get ready for some GT withdrawal symptoms.:supergrin:

Branspop
10-11-2007, 20:28
Originally posted by Bogey
They weren't???

I'm callin' Greek...

freepatriot
10-11-2007, 20:38
Delete your PM's, doods

Use the pulldown to change "Past 30 days" to "The beginning"

Clear out Inbox, Sent Items and Message Tracking

...every little bit helps, yeah?

geekboy
10-11-2007, 21:03
Good idea to clean up to help Eric with the move.

Eric, is that 9M Bytes/sec or 9M bits/sec? Also, I know what you mean... Microsoft Operating Systems love to cache! Drove me crazy when I changed my IPs about 2 months ago. My stupid desktops had cached the addresses! I had to remember to use the old "ipconfig /flushdns" command!

I also use a local DNS server on my home network which caches... so I have to remember that one too. :)

My CISCO 3620 router has been up for 1 year 51 weeks!

RIPPED
10-11-2007, 22:35
thanks for the heads up Eric

Sidhe
10-11-2007, 22:37
Originally posted by Branspop
I'm callin' Greek...

Wasn't Greek either, something else perhaps?? LOL

Mushin
10-11-2007, 23:00
so just tell me,,is the Internet address going to be the same, and if not when I go to the old one will it tell me where to go? Besides ...well you know

Reyn
10-11-2007, 23:43
Hola, yo no hablo INGLES! :)

Me neither when it comes to computer jargon. I can prune my messages though. :thumbsup:

HerrGlock
10-12-2007, 04:32
Originally posted by Medusa
so just tell me,,is the Internet address going to be the same, and if not when I go to the old one will it tell me where to go? Besides ...well you know

He more or less answered that question in the first post :animlol:

I'm wondering if an index.html redirect page to the new IP would work. That one is a good idea.

gwalchmai
10-12-2007, 05:39
Originally posted by freepatriot
Delete your PM's, doods
...every little bit helps, yeah? I just removed 90% of mine. Eric probably gained enough space from that to not even need to move the servers. ;)

inkslut
10-12-2007, 06:27
Eric,

Yes, what he said. We do this for all our hosting customers that come to us from other hosting providers.

craig_o
10-12-2007, 07:17
GT withdraw is characterized by sweats, chills, extreme depression and the purchasing of large-caliber "security blanket" firearms.

CBennett
10-12-2007, 07:21

he said GT will be down a bit this weekend or until he gets the files switched over to the new server :)

freakshow10mm
10-12-2007, 09:52
Finally getting cable internet installed this Saturday at the new house after months and months of renovations and now GT might be down for a while?? Where the hell else am I supposed to go??:supergrin:

geekboy
10-12-2007, 10:28
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
Finally getting cable internet installed this Saturday at the new house after months and months of renovations and now GT might be down for a while?? Where the hell else am I supposed to go??:supergrin: There's always Disneyworld.COM!

Dandapani
10-12-2007, 11:01
Originally posted by MrCowboy99
TTL = Time To Live :banana: Shouldn't that be in the Caliber section?

How appropriate for a conversation on GT. :rofl:

Caliber war in three.... two.... one.... :banana:

vote Republican
10-12-2007, 12:27
Originally posted by Eric

There will be some downtime this weekend

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(breathe)

....oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

-Sharon

:supergrin:

WIG19
10-12-2007, 12:41
Originally posted by HerrGlock
If you don't mind too much, what are the old IPs and the new IPs for those of us who run DNS servers and have GT set up with "other than GT" names :supergrin: PLEASE! PLEASE!
Going direct via IP in the URL is sometimes the only way to get around libtard-based engines whose default software schema try to block as evil things remotely related to guns, much less evil black polymer. IP's please!!! Use my direct email if you don't want to repost them. Pleeeeeeezzzzzz.........................

:rant:

Now, feel better. In the spirit of supporting Eric I post internet RFC-1925, The 12 Networking Truths. So everyone give him a break (but give me my new destination IP's first):

(1) It Has To Work.
(2) No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't increase the speed of light.
(2a) (corollary). No matter how hard you try, you can't make a baby in much less than 9 months. Trying to speed this up *might* make it slower, but it won't make it happen any quicker.
(3) With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.
(4) Some things in life can never be fully appreciated nor understood unless experienced firsthand. Some things in networking can never be fully understood by someone who neither builds commercial networking equipment nor runs an operational network.
(5) It is always possible to aglutenate multiple separate problems into a single complex interdependent solution. In most cases this is a bad idea.
(6) It is easier to move a problem around (for example, by moving the problem to a different part of the overall network architecture) than it is to solve it.
(6a) (corollary). It is always possible to add another level of indirection.
(7) It is always something
(7a) (corollary). Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).
(8) It is more complicated than you think.
(9) For all resources, whatever it is, you need more.
(9a) (corollary) Every networking problem always takes longer to solve than it seems like it should.
(10) One size never fits all.
(11) Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and a different presentation, regardless of whether it works.
(11a) (corollary). See rule 6a.
(12) In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there
is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

GOOD LUCK ERIC! :thumbsup:

:patriot:
(hopping over to clean some PM's)

zeke501
10-12-2007, 14:24
Try out the" democrat underground"...let us know how it goes for ya...should be real entertaining for ya..!!!:animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol:

just kiddin...lol

CBDAVIS
10-12-2007, 15:08
Once about 4:30 p.m. on a Friday I told a client that it will be ready in about 15 minutes. I was still working on it at 8:00 a.m. Monday. I sure hope the new setup isn't going to be a 15 minute job.

I don't know how to delete anything. I'll probably need something more than I've seen posted.

HerrGlock
10-12-2007, 15:51
Originally posted by CBDAVIS
Once about 4:30 p.m. on a Friday I told a client that it will be ready in about 15 minutes. I was still working on it at 8:00 a.m. Monday. I sure hope the new setup isn't going to be a 15 minute job.

I don't know how to delete anything. I'll probably need something more than I've seen posted.

Hit the GlockTalk graphic at the top left of any forum page.
Right below the GlockTalk graphic in the page that comes up, there is a "Private Messages" link. Click it.
You'll be in your inobx. See if you have anything you can delete.

On the right hand side of your inbox, there's a drop box that has inbox, sent, and message tracking choices. Check each of those out to see if there's anything you can delete.

itisbruno
10-12-2007, 16:09
Did my part and cleand out most of my PM's (I never get many anyway).

Good luck with the move, Eric. I get to do the same thing in a few months, our organization is moving to a new building, not looking forward to it.

Have fun :)

digitspaw
10-12-2007, 16:34
Good idea to clean up to help Eric with the move.

Eric, is that 9M Bytes/sec or 9M bits/sec? Also, I know what you mean... Microsoft Operating Systems love to cache! Drove me crazy when I changed my IPs about 2 months ago. My stupid desktops had cached the addresses! I had to remember to use the old "ipconfig /flushdns" command!

I also use a local DNS server on my home network which caches... so I have to remember that one too. :)

My CISCO 3620 router has been up for 1 year 51 weeks!

You're using a 3620 for a HOME network? If so, was it free or something? kinda expensive for a home network since it's a branch office solution.
What do have in your WIC slots for connectivity to your ISP?

Not bustin chops, man. I was just curious.:)

Egyas
10-12-2007, 16:37
Eric,

You said you were going to refurb 4 of the newer servers and reuse them. What are you planning on doing with the others?

geekboy
10-12-2007, 16:52
Originally posted by digitspaw
You're using a 3620 for a HOME network? If so, was it free or something? kinda expensive for a home network since it's a branch office solution.
What do have in your WIC slots for connectivity to your ISP?

Not bustin chops, man. I was just curious.:) Yes, it's for home and it wasn't free. I have two 20Mbps/5Mbps lines (FiOS) that come into my house. There are two NM-1FE1CT1 interfaces in it. I originally had a 2620 and the 3620, but sold the 2620. I like CISCO alot now! For my backbone, I have a 24 port GIGAFAST (Gigabit) switch (with a couple of VLANs defined). In my wire closet I have a 16-port DLink (cheap) 100Mbps switch.

My house has a lot of on-demand media and it's hosted by two servers with 1TB of disk pace each that run DVArchive which is a ReplayTV clone. I have 5 ReplayTV (DVRs) in the house.

So, it's not your average home network... I have two CAT5e runs to every room in the house and the apartment/garage. I do not use wireless at home!

Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Channelized T1/PRI port(s)

digitspaw
10-12-2007, 17:04
Yes, it's for home and it wasn't free. I have two 20Mbps/5Mbps lines (FiOS) that come into my house. There are two NM-1FE1CT1 interfaces in it. I originally had a 2620 and the 3620, but sold the 2620. I like CISCO alot now! For my backbone, I have a 24 port GIGAFAST (Gigabit) switch (with a couple of VLANs defined). In my wire closet I have a 16-port DLink (cheap) 100Mbps switch.

My house has a lot of on-demand media and it's hosted by two servers with 1TB of disk pace each that run DVArchive which is a ReplayTV clone. I have 5 ReplayTV (DVRs) in the house.

So, it's not your average home network... I have two CAT5e runs to every room in the house and the apartment/garage. I do not use wireless at home!

i was just wondering because I sell the stuff. If you ever want anything like IOS upgrades, VWIC cards, FXO, VSEC bundles, etc, just PM me and I can help you.

Paw :wavey:

Dean
10-12-2007, 18:37
Roger. Wilco. Over.

Skydivn Shooter
10-12-2007, 19:21
Glock Talk is moving to Arizona????????? Oh man, I can't believe this. I was just getting to know some folks on here and now you are moving:sad:

Dang it, this happens to me all the time. Ever time I meet up with a bunch of cool folks, they always end up moving. Jimmy when I was 10, Pam, the first girl I ever kissed when I was 12 and.....

Oh man, I'm gonna miss you guys:shocked:

TexasRanger
10-12-2007, 19:32
Originally posted by Sidhepro
Wasn't Greek either, something else perhaps?? LOL

No, not Greek... Geek! I speak it well :)

JellyBelly
10-12-2007, 20:11
Well, at least we know NYC Drew won't miss us when he's locked up. (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=769311) :rofl:

VN350X10
10-12-2007, 23:35
I didn't understand a damn thing that was posted.

Except the part about emptying the PM box.

That I can do.

uncle albert

Mushin
10-12-2007, 23:55
as I understand it it will still be glocktalk.com but you might have to reboot your computer turn (off and on)or go to that other address he put... in the first post... or there will be a forwarding message or link! I think!

gwalchmai
10-13-2007, 05:29
... and it'll format your hard drive.

vote Republican
10-13-2007, 08:18
Yes, it's for home and it wasn't free. I have two 20Mbps/5Mbps lines (FiOS) that come into my house. There are two NM-1FE1CT1 interfaces in it. I originally had a 2620 and the 3620, but sold the 2620. I like CISCO alot now! For my backbone, I have a 24 port GIGAFAST (Gigabit) switch (with a couple of VLANs defined). In my wire closet I have a 16-port DLink (cheap) 100Mbps switch.

You win the internet.

feetpiece
10-13-2007, 10:04
Originally posted by freepatriot
Delete your PM's, doods

Done - got'em down from 126 to 46.

Whats up with the name change Scott? I've been moonlighting at another forum for a while and have missed a lot of changes....

geekboy
10-13-2007, 11:05
Originally posted by vote Republican
You win the internet. (Spoken in a voice like Bob Barker...) Tell him what he's won Jim!

freepatriot
10-13-2007, 12:16
Originally posted by freakshow10mm
Finally getting cable internet installed this Saturday at the new house after months and months of renovations and now GT might be down for a while?? Where the hell else am I supposed to go??:supergrin:

The Humanity! :supergrin:

freepatriot
10-13-2007, 12:18
Originally posted by feetpiece
Whats up with the name change Scott? I've been moonlighting at another forum for a while and have missed a lot of changes....

Hi pally :wavey:

I changed it because Sharon was stalking me. It didn't work

:supergrin:

Bevo1
10-14-2007, 21:29
What's the best defensive round? 9, 40 or 45?

Sorry, just had to:banana:

But I did clear out my pm's:thumbsup:

mrwilmoth
10-15-2007, 05:14
awsome news. all my pms deleted. hope all goes well!

have a good morning!

Rubirosa
10-15-2007, 19:02
Originally posted by mrwilmoth
awsome news. all my pms deleted. hope all goes well!

have a good morning!

Lotta posts here. Please PM me how it's done.

engineer151515
10-16-2007, 05:53
Originally posted by Eric

I don't know what the new IP numbers will be yet. I've been assigned my subnets, but there is some confusion concerning them. I will know for sure tomorrow.

Now, about those new IP numbers, or any other method to get around the dreaded Panera Forbidden Firearms Related block.

:supergrin: :thumbsup:

Blitzer
10-16-2007, 07:14
1st rule of computer user-dome: "Never let your PC see you sweat!"

:rofl: :supergrin:

mustang26
10-16-2007, 13:26
Hopefully I won't have any withdrawal symptoms from a shortage of GT over the weekend!!!

GPalmer
10-17-2007, 08:26
Originally posted by TexasRanger
No, not Greek... Geek! I speak it well :)
I don't know, seemed rather straightforwaard to me... :tongueout:

Eric
10-17-2007, 19:05
Well, we are back up, but the place is a mess. Obviously, there is a lot more work to do. I had better get busy. Eric

freepatriot
10-17-2007, 20:21
Lookin' good. You should change the url for the red text at the top of the page to use the new "php?t=" format

geekboy
10-17-2007, 20:38
I love the new look. I always liked this version of the vBulletin software. :)

Good job Eric.

Skydivn Shooter
10-18-2007, 20:26
Excellent work Eric - thanks. At least the logins, avatars and advertisements are working! Heck, that's all we need!

Redondo
10-19-2007, 15:42
Ya right!!