Navy SEAL to be awarded Medal of Honor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Navy SEAL to be awarded Medal of Honor

WIG19
10-12-2007, 11:34
Basic story here. (http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=32528)

MOH-specific site, including Summary of Action, here. (http://www.navy.mil/moh/mpmurphy/index.html)

The survivor from the original team, PO Luttrell, wrote about the events in Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10. (http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-Eyewitness-Account-Operation/dp/0316067598)

This is very compelling stuff and exemplifies all the finest attributes of military service & loyalty to ones brothers-in-arms.

While another theater may be getting nearly all the play on the news, we continue to aggressively hunt some very specific HVT's in this area and it is unbelievably arduous and dangerous work.

To all you Makos & Tigers out there; go get 'em and God's speed.

:patriot:

fwiw: just my $.02. Intel value later is sometimes a roll of the dice; sometimes there's still value in simply attritting the enemy. Put one in their ear, exploit the site and come home; then move on to the next stench-laden POS.

GSXRanger
10-12-2007, 11:35
In the company of heroes I have walked...
In the shadows of greatness, I have observed...
In the presence of professionals I have learned...
In the time of legends, I have served.

Rest Peacefully my Brother. You are in the halls of true nobility... save room for those that still carry the torch.

WIG19
10-12-2007, 11:44
Originally posted by GSXRanger
In the company of heroes I have walked...
In the shadows of greatness, I have observed...
In the presence of professionals I have learned...
In the time of legends, I have served.

Rest Peacefully my Brother. You are in the halls of true nobility... save room for those that still carry the torch. Thank you. I sat, fingers paused over keyboard, and pondered again... as others have asked, since wars long past, "From where do we get such fine men?"

God, thank you for blessing us with the presence of your finest, however brief, and comfort them now that they've returned to You.

:patriot:

WIG19
11-05-2007, 10:21
Felt the following letter to the editor of the WSJ was noteworthy:
----------------
Wall Street Journal
November 5, 2007
Pg. 17

If Lt. Murphy Had Been A Cold-Blooded Killer

As a former Army officer from Long Island, I was moved by Mark Lasswell's account of how Lt. Michael Murphy won the Medal of Honor and the story of the one Navy SEAL who made it back to tell the story ("Lone Survivor," Oct. 27, editorial page).

What struck me was that Lt. Murphy's unit was discovered by three goat herders. If the SEALs executed those herders, Lt. Murphy and his men might have survived. But we train officers in morality in the U.S. military. By doing the right thing, Lt. Murphy and 18 other Americans perished. Why didn't the media pick up on this part of the story? Is it because it doesn't fit the assumption that our soldiers are murderous thugs, killing and terrorizing women and children in the night?

Rich Bilello, USMA '90, Bay Shore, N.Y.

Sapperstang
11-11-2007, 16:40
I have read Luttrell's book. Good read. Man deserves this award.