I think I need some new undies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I think I need some new undies

xring04
10-13-2007, 07:09
So yesterday I decided to make go for a short ride, just down to get gas and back. All told under 30 miles.

As I was enjoying the beautiful weather and scenery,I bank into a nice corner at about 50 mph and all of a sudden I hear tires screeching behind me. I glance down at my mirror and all of a sudden the mirror I was looking at moves about 8 inches, and I feel my wrist slam back.

About the time I realize that is happening I feel the rear wheel bounce up, then begin to slide. I counter the bars and think " this is gonna hurt" With the help of my leg I kept the bike from lowsiding, but as soon as I stopped sliding the bike gracefully did it's best to send me off the other side. I held on and only slightly laid the bike on the motor cover thingy on the left side of the bike. At this point I decided the wreck was kinda over so I stood the bike back up and looked at the damage. Dog fur stuck in the cracked front fender, and a couple of tiny scratches on the motor cover thingy, but not bad enough to see standing 5 feet from the bike.

So wtf happened.

Well the lady behind me saw the whole thing. The dog came out of a ditch drainage pipe and ran right at my front tire. It rolled under the bike I went over it, then it got up and went back into the drainage pipe.

All in all it brought to my attention how quickly something could happen on my bike on a road I had rode a thousand times. I never even saw it coming.

Because of the fact I was looking through the curve, I don't know how I could have avoided it.

I think a trip to deals gap is in order today, and some new boxers.

G30Big
10-13-2007, 10:34
That is amazing! Hope you are ok and the damage to the bike is minor. I just got back from Cashiers on my Concours and had to deal with cage drivers and truck drivers that haul ass through the mountains and use both lanes.

I was in a car with family and an oncoming SUV was going into the corner too fast and saw a bicyclist on the inside of their lane, and swerved all the way into my lane. Talk about needing new boxers - it happenned so fast and he was able to get it back into his lane in time to avoid catastrophe.

I would stake out that location and see if you can find out the dog owners' name.

epsylum
10-16-2007, 16:44
Glad you are okay. You should be able to get a new engine/clutch cover at the dealership. They are a very common part to replace due to low side crashes.

As for what could you have done, not much. Even if you did see it, it was obviously wouldn't have given you much reaction time. Slamming on the brakes mid corner would have probably been even worse and chaces are you would have still hit it, but now with locked up tires.

We get squirrels, possums, deer, raccoons, the occasional domesticated animal, etc. running around here and they ALL love to dart out in front of moving vehicles. Some just seem to have a death wish. If you see them, it is best to be extremely cautious, if not, then you can't really do anything about it.

Seriously, I think seeing it may have actually made matters worse.

xring04
10-16-2007, 20:01
Well the scratches on the cover are so small you can't really see em unless you are looking for them, while you are right up next to the bike, so no biggie.

Super Trucker
10-18-2007, 07:49
Glad to hear you are ok. Check craiqslist or feebay for parts if needed.

gloxter
10-26-2007, 22:36
Along the same note, now I know why they call the dogs from Queensland, "Heelers". Little SOB around the corner from me darts out each time. I give him the blast of the Remus cans from the Duck after he clears me. I really need to let the owner know about it, though.