Ford Taurus says "door ajar" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ford Taurus says "door ajar"

G30Big
10-13-2007, 07:57
My wife's 99 Taurus is telling us that a door is ajar and the indoor light stays on even though all are shut properly. This is driving us nuts!

Any ideas oh how to troubleshoot and fix?

thanks

knightkrawler00
10-13-2007, 18:56
First, you have to figure out which door switch is not working. It's most likely the driver's door, since it is used the most. I'm not familiar with the exact way that Ford wires there system, but most are pretty much the same. This will be the easiest if the door switches are the push button type that make contact with the door when shut. If they are internal to the latch, then the door panels will have to come off of each door until you find the culprit. The switches are normally closed switches that ground the circuit when closed turning on the light and chime, when the doors are shut the switch opens, taking away the ground. You have a circuit that is staying grounded all the time.

Start by opening one door and disconnecting the switch for that door. When the light and chime quit, that switch is staying closed all the time, put in a new one. Remember to reconnect and close the door before proceeding to the next one. If you have disconnected all the switches and the light stays on, then you have a short to ground on the power side of the switch. Grab a wiring diagram and figure out what controls the light and chime, most likely the body control module. Disconnect all the switches and the module, check continuity to ground with a multimeter on the module(control) side of each switch until you find the one shorted. Now, you can either string a new wire, or find the short and fix it. It's also possible that the module is shorted to ground internally, but not that likely.

Of course, you can also just buy a new driver's switch, throw it in, and see if that fixes it before digging really deep into it. I would say the 9 times out of 10, it's the driver's door switch broken internally causing the short. Good luck.

G30Big
10-13-2007, 19:46
thanks so much for the help, I'll keep you posted on the results.

FoxMustang
10-15-2007, 08:32
I had the same problem every now and again with my '98 Mark VIII. Blast the latch in the door with WD40. Apparently this is a pretty common problem with Fords of that era.

G30Big
10-16-2007, 19:20
I'll nail them in the morning with WD40. I checked into a manual at the auto parts store but it doesn't cover any of this stuff...

thanks

G30Big
10-24-2007, 18:47
WD40 fixed the Taurus, now my daughters' 96 Mustang is dinging whenever the door is open, even if the key is out of the ignitiion and the lights are off. Any insights to share?

thanks!

txinvestigator
11-01-2007, 17:42
Stupid car, everyone knows a door is not a jar.

Douglas in CT
11-01-2007, 17:52
Stupid car, everyone knows a door is not a jar.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/douglasinct/Smilies/laughabove.gif
So true....so true!

PS:
You beat me to it! http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/douglasinct/Smilies/thumbsup.gifhttp://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/douglasinct/Smilies/thumbsup.gif