Anyone in or around Columbus, OH? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in or around Columbus, OH?

MakeMineaP99
10-13-2007, 09:49
As luck would have it, I'm leaving for Columbus, OH on Monday for business. Aside from the first week being midnights and I can't carry (OH won't honor IN), sounds like a good trip.

Unlike most business trips, this one is close enough to drive. I'm looking for powders and primers (primarily) or a lever action .22.

Any particular places to look either in or around Columbus or on the drive down? I'll be taking 80-90 to 75 to 23.

Please recommend some restaurants too. Last business trip I think I ate in every restaurant in Columbus.

TIA!

joedoc
10-14-2007, 19:40
Well, I could have sworn that Ohio and Indiana had reciprocity. I travel to Bloomington frequently, and checked last year, and have carried every time.
I guess I better check again before next trip.
Anyway, have a safe trip to Columbus.

degoodman
10-14-2007, 22:02
You need to be a little more specific on what part of columbus you're going to be in. It's kinda not a small town, and if you were going to be in Northwest C-bus or Dublin, you probably wouldn't appreciate me recommedning something out on the east end of town food wise.

As far as gun shops to get a deal on powder or primers, you aren't passing any of them. The good deals I've seen are all pretty well outside of town. For a .22 lever gun, you can probably stop at vance's shooters supply on cleveland avenue. They've had Henry rifles on sale recently, and usually have a pretty good array of .22's around. Know what price you want to pay before you get there.

I don't know how long you're in town for, but if you're here through wednesday night, you can catch a Blue Jackets game down at the arena downtown. There are $10 tickets available after 5:00 day-of-game that actually don't suck (the arena is designed for hockey, so there aren't any crappy seats really), and if you want to pay for better ones that aren't that much more expensive.

And yes, unfortunately your Indiana permit isn't any good here, even though Indiana honors Ohio. Don't worry though, the way our crappy law seems to be shaking out, you basically can't carry anywhere you'd want to, so you aren't missing anything we aren't.

TerryI
10-14-2007, 22:14
For firearm shopping, try Blackwing Shooting Center on the west side of Delaware. Address: 3722 Marysville Rd (Rt. 36). Also try Vance's Shooter's Supplies on the north side of Columbus, 3723 Cleveland Avenue. They have a huge inventory, including reloading supples.

Restaurant suggestions:

Columbus Fish Market, 40 Hutchinson Ave (north side of Columbus, just east of Rt 23 & north of I-270) and 1245 Olentangy River Rd (Ohio State University area near downtown Columbus)

Cap City Diner, 1299 Olentangy River Rd (OSU area)

Bravo Italian Kitchen, 3000 Hayden Rd (northwest Columbus, off Rt 33).

Have a good trip!

feltoosj
10-15-2007, 09:39
Originally posted by joedoc
Well, I could have sworn that Ohio and Indiana had reciprocity. I travel to Bloomington frequently, and checked last year, and have carried every time.
I guess I better check again before next trip.
Anyway, have a safe trip to Columbus.

Reciprocity no, but IN honors OH permits. OH does NOT honor IN permits.

joedoc
10-15-2007, 13:56
thank you gentlemen for the clarification

JSK333
10-15-2007, 21:28
Ohio is open carry with no license needed (except for in vehicle while loaded), backed by our State Constitution and several State Supreme Court rulings, so you can in fact carry while here.

Not familiar with the Columbus area, so can't help you there!

Ender
10-15-2007, 22:42
i "lived" in Gahanna off and on for about a year.

no REALLY great restaurants to speak of, though there is a Morton's Steakhouse around the arena district that i hear is good.

if you're in the Gahanna area, i used to frequent the Outside Corner for a brew or 9 ;) friendly atmosphere, hot bartenders, etc etc ;)

groundhawg
10-17-2007, 23:18
try barleys brewpub on north high street, great brew and good food.

TurboRocket
10-18-2007, 15:01
Ohio is open carry with no license needed (except for in vehicle while loaded), backed by our State Constitution and several State Supreme Court rulings, so you can in fact carry while here...

I would not recommend open carry unless you want to find trouble. This is not Arizona and the general public is just not conditioned for open carry, yet. There have been open-carry meets in Ohio to try to raise the awareness, but the general public is not ready, IMHO.

MakeMineaP99
10-18-2007, 17:58
You need to be a little more specific on what part of columbus you're going to be in. It's kinda not a small town, and if you were going to be in Northwest C-bus or Dublin, you probably wouldn't appreciate me recommedning something out on the east end of town food wise.

As far as gun shops to get a deal on powder or primers, you aren't passing any of them. The good deals I've seen are all pretty well outside of town. For a .22 lever gun, you can probably stop at vance's shooters supply on cleveland avenue. They've had Henry rifles on sale recently, and usually have a pretty good array of .22's around. Know what price you want to pay before you get there.

I don't know how long you're in town for, but if you're here through wednesday night, you can catch a Blue Jackets game down at the arena downtown. There are $10 tickets available after 5:00 day-of-game that actually don't suck (the arena is designed for hockey, so there aren't any crappy seats really), and if you want to pay for better ones that aren't that much more expensive.

And yes, unfortunately your Indiana permit isn't any good here, even though Indiana honors Ohio. Don't worry though, the way our crappy law seems to be shaking out, you basically can't carry anywhere you'd want to, so you aren't missing anything we aren't.

I'm working in Reynoldsburg, my hotel is in Gahanna.

SigsnGlocks
10-19-2007, 00:48
Vances Shooters Supply on Cleveland is your primary gun shop (closed Mondays).

There IS a Gander Mountain over there in Reynoldsburg off 256 if needed.

Eat at Lindeys in Polaris/Powell, Hyde Park Dublin or Downtown.

Ender
10-23-2007, 00:01
I'm working in Reynoldsburg, my hotel is in Gahanna.

what hotel? if you stay near Damon's on Hamilton, tell the bartenders Jack and John say hi...lol