Dicing with a mandoline?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dicing with a mandoline??

Romadoc
10-14-2007, 12:12
Has anyone figured out how to get a real "dice" using a mandoline?

hotlunch
10-14-2007, 20:52
I don't know that that's possible with a mandoline. Even waffle cuts take some finesse but I don't think a 6-sided dice is possible (or at least easy) to do on a mandoline. And I used to use a mandoline alot in restaurant work. All the dicing was done with a knife.

tat2guy
10-14-2007, 22:13
I've also done a lot of restaurant work and never seen a mandoline used for dicing. I did, however, work in one kitchen that had a dicer. It was basicly a vice, into which you would load carrots and celery lengthwise, and then as you tightened it, it would force your veggies through a metal grid, cutting them into square shaped carrotsticks, and a razorblade would spin around perpendicular to the grid, slicing the carrot sticks onto cubes. It was pretty neat. Mostly it was just used for prepping carrots and celery for soup and stuffing.

Cali-Glock
10-15-2007, 11:08
Nope. Just use my mandolin for easy thin slices.

K.C. Dia
10-16-2007, 08:54
I don't see how you can dice with a mandoline. I own a braun mandoline and looked at the instructions and there are no instructions on dicing. I think the best you can do is to make some uniform french fries, and then finish dicing with a knife. It's probably easier to skip the mandoline all together.

Mild Bill
10-20-2007, 21:35
You break out the Mandoline when you want thin even slices, julienne matchsticks,
waffle or a thicker french fry type cut--- that's it I think...

I just got the Oxo Mandoline...
Just being able to make thin potato slices for gratins, potato layered lasagnas, or to encase a white-fish filet (sauté golden brown), is totally worth it...

Today in minutes I julienned raw beets for a salad with salt, pepper, extra virgin and cider vinegar...

I never bought a celery root before, but I'm gonna try the same thing with that...
Daikon too--- those matchsticks are good...

tat2guy
10-21-2007, 00:47
Well, looking at google imagaes would lead me to believe that dicers are not very common. Or at least, pictures of them on the net are not very common. But this is pretty close to the dicer we used:

http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/media/nemn55100e.jpg

lethal tupperwa
10-21-2007, 06:01
You can get a dice by cutting into the potato and then making the julienne slices at 90 degrees to those cuts.

On my slicer seperate boards slide in with small blades sticking up to make the strips,

Probably easier to stack slices up and cut them with a knife.