Frosting Recipes? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Frosting Recipes?

Matt VDW
10-15-2007, 12:06
I'm going to bake a birthday cake tomorrow and I want to make my own frosting for it. I looked online for recipes and was a little overwhelmed by the variety -- some use granulated sugar, others use confectioner's sugar; some use eggs, others use butter or shortening.

I'm not sure if I want to use eggs as an ingredient in something that won't be cooked to kill any salmonella. Also, something that I can make in advance and keep in the fridge overnight would be great.

Any suggestions?

SouthernGal
10-15-2007, 13:06
A couple of good ones for caramel cake come to mind. I'm not one of those people who likes "unflavored" icing though.

BrassInPocket
10-15-2007, 19:36
I like to make my own Cream Cheese Frosting. It's real simple, and tastes good on any cake.

Here's the recipe:

2 8oz. packages cream cheese

1/2 cup butter

2 cups confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar.

I like to add food coloring to it too. I think I've made every color imaginable! ;)

groundhawg
10-16-2007, 12:17
i think i would do what BIP suggested, thats pretty much what i use in my cream cheese frosting except for less sugar and sometimes some added sour cream.

Matt VDW
10-16-2007, 19:56
I used a butter-based frosting (sans any cream cheese) with some finely chopped strawberries for flavor and color. First I whipped a half stick of butter, then added two cups of powdered sugar, then the strawberries and a little vanilla extract and milk, then more sugar for texture.

It didn't turn out quite as firm as I would like, but it was tasty. Next time I'll try adding the cream cheese.

hotlunch
10-17-2007, 23:48
When in doubt go with a buttercream frosting. Rose Levy Beranbaum has a great book called "The Cake Bible" and it's great! Check it out sometime.

Cali-Glock
10-22-2007, 14:29
My mother taught me to simply use butter and powdered sugar a dash of salt and my choice of flavoring and coloring. Wing it till it is the right consistency. IIRC I start with 1 to 1 ratio; IIRC I was way off last time and had to adjust one way or the other.

But I don't bake often and make frosting even less often, and even then rarely make regular frosting. Instead I make "wing-it" versions of cream cheese frosting as described by Brass in Pocket.

The last time (a year ago next week) I made it I was making orange cake (a family tradition for birthdays) so I loosely followed a recipe which was similar (or perhaps identical) as posted by Brass in Pocket, and addded some orange juice concentrate, some orange peel and I think perhaps some orange extract.

Mmm good!

g29andy
10-30-2007, 13:47
SouthernGal, what's the trick with the caramel cake frosting? Mine tends to come out rather granular, like a praline. I think I'm not cooking it long enough.

lethal tupperwa
10-30-2007, 14:01
chocolate

mix one cup of sour cream or 1/2 cup of heavy cream with one bag of chocolate chips

melt slowly - let it cool frost and put in the refrigerator to set up.

SouthernGal
10-30-2007, 15:24
SouthernGal, what's the trick with the caramel cake frosting? Mine tends to come out rather granular, like a praline. I think I'm not cooking it long enough.

Here are two icing recipes I pulled from our local paper. I can get you a third recipe if you want, that one will be my grandma's "tried and true" one:

Icing 1:
3 cups sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter (not margarine)
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of Salt

Pour 1/2 cup of sugar in a small, heavy skillet and melt over low heat, stirring as needed. Place remaining sugar, butter, and whipping cream in saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour melted sugar slowly into boiling mixture, stirring constantly (Adjust heat under mixture, if necessary, so it will be boiling when melted sugar is poured in. This prevents the sugar from lumping.) Cook to soft ball stage (a candy thermometer is helpful). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, add a dash of salt and beat until thick enough to spread.

Icing 2:
4 cups of light brown sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix sugar and milk in top of double boiler and bring to a boil. Add butter and turn heat down to about medium; cook until it forms a soft ball. Remove from heat and cool a couple of minutes. Beat a little and add vanilla. Beat to desired consistency and spread on top of cooled cake.

g29andy
10-31-2007, 19:41
Thanks, I'll give those a try next time. I guess I'm trying to get more of the consistency of melted caramel cubes, rather than pralines.

SouthernGal
11-01-2007, 08:02
Thanks, I'll give those a try next time. I guess I'm trying to get more of the consistency of melted caramel cubes, rather than pralines.

With the exception of a caramel pie (similar to one served at O'Charley's) that I've seen made by boiling sealed cans of evaportated milk, I've never seen a frosting with that consistency.

g29andy
11-01-2007, 17:23
Newk's Cafe in Jackson, MS has the caramel cake frosting I've tried to duplicate. It's not exactly like melted caramel cubes, but it is smooth, and not crumbly like pralines when set.

I've made the frosting with brown sugar, similar to the second one you posted. It's not bad. It does set up quick, so you have to sling it on fast.

Glockgirl26
11-09-2007, 12:31
This is one of my favorite recipes, as I'm not fond of those frostings that are so thick and heavy they hurt your teeth. And refridgerating it overnight before using it works well too.

Cook 1 cup milk and 5 tablespoons flour until thick paste. Set aside to cool.

Beat ˝ cup Crisco, 1 cup white sugar and ˝ cup butter until fluffy. Add 1 tsp vanilla flavor and the cooled paste. Beat for at least fifteen minutes until creamy and fluffy and smooth.

SouthernGal
11-26-2007, 10:03

I was going through my books this weekend and ran across one for Skeeter's Caramel pie that uses melted Kraft Caramels as the base. I'm thinking this could be used as a frosting as well.

If you're interested, I'll post it.

BrassInPocket
11-28-2007, 23:02
I was going through my books this weekend and ran across one for Skeeter's Caramel pie that uses melted Kraft Caramels as the base. I'm thinking this could be used as a frosting as well.

If you're interested, I'll post it.

I am, I am! :mememe: :)

lethal tupperwa
11-29-2007, 07:03
Ingredients:
1/2 C. butter or margerine, 1 C. firmly packed light brown sugar,1/3C. light cream or milk, 2 C. unsifted confectioners sugar,1 t. vanilla, 1/8 t. ground cinnamon.

Directions:
In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over low heat,boil one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in cream. Return to heat, just until it starts to boil. Remove from heat and let cool till bottom of saucepan feels luke warm. With electric mixer or wooden spoon, beat in confectioners sugar until frosting is thick and of spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon and it's ready to spread on your cake.

SouthernGal
11-29-2007, 10:17
I am, I am! :mememe: :)

Will post when I return from my vacation.

lethal tupperwa
11-29-2007, 17:59
ON the last page in it was a recipe for Carmel Icing

DOC’S CARMEL ICING

2 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons Butter
˝ teaspoon Vanilla
Pinch of Salt

Cook the sugar and cream over low heat for about a half hour.

The cooking is done when a sample of the mixture forms a soft

ball when dropped into cold water.

At this point, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and salt.

Continue to stir until the mixture reaches spreading consistency.

g29andy
11-29-2007, 19:31
You guys/gals rock. I'm going to burn out my pancreas trying all the different carmel icings.

BrassInPocket
12-02-2007, 17:18
Will post when I return from my vacation.
Can't you just come home early? Kidding!! ;) ;)

Hope you're enjoying your vacation. :wavey:

SouthernGal
12-06-2007, 08:26
Can't you just come home early? Kidding!! ;) ;)

Hope you're enjoying your vacation. :wavey:

Sorry for the wait. My vacation was great :)

Skeeter's Caramel Pie

28 Caramels
1/2 stick butter (or margarine)
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. corn starch (heaping)
Baked pastry pie crust

Melt butter and caramels together. Beat egg yolks. Add sugar and mikl to egg yolks. Add corn starch and vanilla. Pour butter and caramels into this mixture and cook while stirring until it thickens. Put aside and let it cool before pouring into baked and cooled pie crust. Top with meringue.

I have a recipe for meringue but the one published with this particular pie one is different than the one I use.

BrassInPocket
12-10-2007, 22:38
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I'm going to try it out for Christmas.

Glad you had a great vacation! :)

SouthernGal
12-12-2007, 15:41
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I'm going to try it out for Christmas.

Glad you had a great vacation! :)

Welcome :)

Looks like about the only baking I'll do at Christmas is Pecan pies, and I'm selling all those.