Lower sodium Manhatten clam chowder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lower sodium Manhatten clam chowder

G20man32904
10-15-2007, 20:59
Did a Google search and came up with several good recipes unfortunately they are all wicked high in sodium (no shock there).

They all seem to have in common Clam Juice and this where the high sodium comes from, so does anybody make it without the clam juice?
Or use something else to spice it up?

Just so y'all know, I'm allowed 1500mgs of sodium per day
this is just one of the many I found online.
http://www.norpac.com/foodservice/products/soups/manhattanclamchowderintro.html

I'm really jonesing for some clam chowder and I already found diced clams in a can that aren't too high in sodium.

Mild Bill
10-20-2007, 21:58
Why don't you just have 3000 mgs one day, and none the next, drinking lots of water...

It's just a vegetable soup with tomato, clam juice, and clams...

Heck, live a little, and at the last minute add some raw peeled shrimp, red snapper chunks, & scallops,
---- cover, take it off the heat, and wait 4 minutes...

Garlic toast...

G20man32904
10-21-2007, 13:27
Why don't you just have 3000 mgs one day, and none the next, drinking lots of water...

It's just a vegetable soup with tomato, clam juice, and clams...

Heck, live a little, and at the last minute add some raw peeled shrimp, red snapper chunks, & scallops,
---- cover, take it off the heat, and wait 4 minutes...

Garlic toast...

Thanks for tips MB,
I did make some and it was fabulous!!!!
I didn't however stay below my sodium restriction but it wasn't as bad as a restaurant style.

The sodium restriction is due to a cardiac diet, I hold water really badly due to a crappy heart so the more salt I eat the more weight I gain (in water). I'm also restricted to 1.5liters of water a day. :(