View Full Version : Teen killed after stealing bale of straw

anyplainjoe
10-16-2007, 07:46
Sad story below....

Teen killed after stealing bale of straw
Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:39 AM
By Mary Beth Lane

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
The theft of a straw bale worth less than $5 led to tragic consequences Sunday: the death of a 17-year-old Chillicothe boy.

The man accused of picking up a hunting rifle and shooting at the Ford F-150 holding the teen and a friend said he only meant to scare them, Scioto County Sheriff Marty V. Donini said yesterday.

"It sounds like it was innocent, as far as the boys," he said. "No one is denying they took the straw. It's just a tragedy."

The shooting killed Nathaniel W. Kennedy, 17. His friend, 18-year-old Jarrod W. Fyffe, also of Chillicothe, was not injured.

Eric Whisman, 35, is charged with murder and attempted murder, accused of fatally shooting the teenager with a .270-caliber bolt-action hunting rifle. A Portsmouth Municipal Court judge yesterday ordered him held in Scioto County jail in lieu of $35,000 bond, and scheduled a preliminary hearing for Friday.

Whisman lives in a trailer at 747 Upper Twin Creek-Rocky Ford Rd. in Blue Creek, about 85 miles south of Columbus. Property behind the trailer is used by a shooting club for target practice. He told authorities that he is the property's caretaker.

The two boys, a dog with them, arrived in the pickup around 4:45 p.m. Sunday for some target shooting but found the premises closed and no one around. They saw the straw bale and put it in the pickup. A shot rang out as they drove off, Donini said.

They had gone about a quarter-mile along the road and were in front of 561 Upper Twin Creek-Rocky Ford Rd. when a second shot rang out. This one hit the pickup's bed, went through the driver's seat and hit Kennedy in the back. He was flown to St. Mary's Medical Center in Huntington, W. Va., where he died.

Kennedy's grieving relatives were too upset yesterday to talk. Relatives of Fyffe's didn't want to talk, either.

"The suspect stated that he didn't mean to kill him. He just wanted to scare them," Donini said.

The typical price for a bale of straw is $2 to $4, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Agriculture said.

County Prosecutor Mark Kuhn likely will ask a grand jury for an indictment this week, the sheriff said.

tuffcop07
10-16-2007, 07:49
i hate thieves and all but damn.....

snipershot
10-16-2007, 08:01
If he wanted to scare them then the first shot should have been enough. The second one was excessive. Should have just taken the plate number and called the police. Tragedy over something stupid. It shows even the smallest thing has its consequences.

gmachine
10-16-2007, 08:30
Warning shots just aren't a good idea.
:sad:

TurboRocket
10-16-2007, 08:57
Tragedy for sure.

This won't be good for the pending Stand Your Ground bill.

tuffcop07
10-16-2007, 08:59
its like i told guod the other day about automatic weapons... its all going good til some asshat comes along and does something like this...

R.TOKER
10-16-2007, 23:40
Originally posted by TurboRocket
Tragedy for sure.

This won't be good for the pending Stand Your Ground bill.

First let me say I have been a member of the NRA for over 10 year, I'm 28. For your first response to be this quote is far beyond offensive!!!! People like this individual make all of "us" look like shoot first , ask questions later thugs!!!!

TurboRocket
10-17-2007, 08:13
Originally posted by R.TOKER
First let me say I have been a member of the NRA for over 10 year, I'm 28. For your first response to be this quote is far beyond offensive!!!! People like this individual make all of "us" look like shoot first , ask questions later thugs!!!!

What are you even talking about? Where did I even say it was OK for this guy to shoot?

When the stand your ground bill gets debated, the antis will say, 'it's going to be a blood-bath; gun-owners are going to shoot people just because they stepped on their lawn in a manner that displeased them', yada, yada, yada. They are going to cite this case as an example.

Perhaps we'll get a better written law because of this case; or maybe Stand Your Ground will succumb to the potential hysteria that the antis will say is supported by this case. I hope it's not the latter.

Try not to be so presumptuous next time.

Good Day!

RWBlue
10-18-2007, 20:09
If he wanted to scare them then the first shot should have been enough. The second one was excessive. Should have just taken the plate number and called the police. Tragedy over something stupid. It shows even the smallest thing has its consequences.

I kind of agree with you, but I will also say that warning shots are not smart and the police are virtually useless in situations like this. Warning shots can go astray and most of the time they don't even followup, or if they do they say that there was a lack of evidence.

It is a tragedy all around, but this is an occation of either go all the way or don't do anything at all. (I think doing nothing at all would have worked for a $2.50 bail of straw.)

4TS&W
10-18-2007, 20:34
That was one expensive bail of hay.... :(

citori59
10-19-2007, 03:23
I hope the shooter can live with the fact he killed a 17 year old for five bucks. I think that is going to be far worse punishment that the state can dole out.......and I believe it's deserved.

gdixon235
10-22-2007, 08:35
Idiot should get life for sure