Emt-b, I, P? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Emt-b, I, P?

SigGuy86
10-16-2007, 22:36
I'm in college right now with the plan to go into law enforcement. I was considering getting EMT-B certification while I was still in school to further boost my chances of being hired. I also might consider part-time or volunteer while at school for experience. I was wondering what the different opportunities are as you increase in training? Will I be able to do anything significant with EMT-B? What advantages are there, if any, to continue in the education if it's not my actual future career?

Thanks for any answers and thanks for what y'all do, firefighters and EMTs both.

D25
10-18-2007, 10:18
I'm in college right now with the plan to go into law enforcement. I was considering getting EMT-B certification while I was still in school to further boost my chances of being hired. I also might consider part-time or volunteer while at school for experience. I was wondering what the different opportunities are as you increase in training? Will I be able to do anything significant with EMT-B? What advantages are there, if any, to continue in the education if it's not my actual future career?

Thanks for any answers and thanks for what y'all do, firefighters and EMTs both.

If you're not wanting to work on an ambulance, then EMT_B is as far as I'd go. A vast majority of the things that you can do as an I or P require supplies that live on an ambulance- like IVs and meds. I suppose there are niche applicatons where advanced EMS training would be benificial for a LEO career, like a tactical medic, but all of those medics that I know were medics first, became very skilled and experienced, and then began working with SWAT.

Stopdropnroll
11-12-2007, 13:45
Basic- is a great edge in Law Enforcement career.

Paramedic- if you are considering Firefighting.

DJTHEMAC
11-12-2007, 16:46
Emt-B = Basic Bandaid

farpoint
11-18-2007, 18:45
It'll look good on paper. Should you decide to go HRT or special teams like with a P.D. it'll make you much more apealing to your agency.
I've done private security in an industrial setting and have an intermediate paramedic licence. It has increased my pay by about $4.00 an hr. and I worked B.L.S.

lomfs24
11-20-2007, 11:53
Here locally, some of the local LEO's (read city police and sheriff) are EMT-B's. But not many of them. Nearly all the Stater LEO's (read highway patrol) are EMT-B's. And it makes sense. Many times they are first on scene of an MVC and they can initiate basic life support if needed. Very very few are medics. Some of the larger cities who have SWAT teams have SWAT medics. But here, that is a very sought after job and difficult to get unless you know someone who knows someone and can pull some strings for you. And as was mentioned earlier they generally start out as a medic who eventually goes over to the "dark side" and becomes a SWAT medic.

(Just a little humor about the dark side....)

farpoint
11-22-2007, 14:33
Anything that you can do to enhance your rez, you should do. It is to the point that jobs will [the one that you really want] will be hard to obtain.
Do all you can to make yourself more desirable. Couldn't hurt to always be enrolled in some type of higher education classes, four year degree. I would suggest management / administration degree. This would apppeal to the powers that be in control. And you don't have to complete, just do acouple of hours when the money is availible during the year. Some larger departments will help pick up the tab for their officers that show promise. Remember to try and shine above the crowd.
Good luck. I wish you luck in what you desire and seek.

urfavghost
11-29-2007, 01:59
I'm more into the EMS side of things, but I live in the dallas fortworth area of texas and I know Dallas is hiring leos like crazy and so are many of the outlaying areas

paramediclane
12-01-2007, 08:20
with so many services going ''cross trained'' it would be an excellent idea to get the emt-b certification. it would be a great begining should you decide to further it down the road. it also is great knowledge to have should the situation ever arise. i dont feel you can go wrong with this idea

merlynusn
12-01-2007, 21:38
I wouldn't go farther than EMT-B. I have been one for many many years, and while I was a volunteer I upgraded to what Virginia calls Enhanced (in between Basic and Intermediate). Unfortunately it's only good in VA and not in NC (where I just got hired to be a LEO). It is good to know but you wouldn't be able to practice as an ALS provider in most places because you can't do the run times and hit all the skill requirements the medical director places on their intermediates and paramedics. Where I'm currently located, the SWAT medics are actually employed by the EMS agency. Not sure if that's how all of them are. Take the time and instead of going for ALS try getting some management or emergency management, business, etc classes. I'd still get the EMT-B certification though.

rk246
12-02-2007, 22:28
Our dept. supplies the medics for the swat team, they are all fireman/medics that had an interest in the swat stuff, then got all the swat training with the cops. I would only go EMT B if you are going to be a cop. To be a medic takes a lot of training, and to truly be good at it you need several years of transport experience. It takes several years working full time as a medic on the street to become comfortable with your skills and ability. I am sure other medics will tell you the same thing. I was a transport medic for about 4 years as well as a military medic before I was hired by a non transporting fire department. I think medics should have to get that transport experience before being allowed to work on thier own in a unsupervised position.

On a related note, you know what cops and fireman have in common? They both want to be fireman.

You know why cops aren't fireman? because they couldn't pass the test.

Just joking, I like cops, sort of.

DScottHewitt
12-15-2007, 23:57
If you're not wanting to work on an ambulance, then EMT_B is as far as I'd go. A vast majority of the things that you can do as an I or P require supplies that live on an ambulance- like IVs and meds. I suppose there are niche applicatons where advanced EMS training would be benificial for a LEO career, like a tactical medic, but all of those medics that I know were medics first, became very skilled and experienced, and then began working with SWAT.

Mostly what D25 said. Our Sheriff's office has a dude or two who are Tac-Medics. But EMT-B is plenty for a patrol guy.....

Waynesboro city PD not too long ago put AEDs on the patrol cars. Started sending LEOs on medical calls. (In the city, always a cop somewhere close.) Have had a few saves already.....

Scott

MeefZah
01-04-2008, 07:39
Want to do it for a career? EMT-P

Volunteer, part time, or to augment a cop job? EMT-B or I. They require substantially less CEs to maintain certification.

sgtlmj
01-04-2008, 12:25
Get your EMT-I. You will be a great asset to your friends after the big party. IV fluids are the best hangover relief. Don't ask me how I know. :whistling:

Sucka
01-04-2008, 12:47
Get your EMT-I. You will be a great asset to your friends after the big party. IV fluids are the best hangover relief. Don't ask me how I know. :whistling:

lol.......i "hear" they make you pee all day long, don't ask ME how i know :whistling:

Oh, and look into what jobs are available in your area. For instance, an EMT-I would be worthless in San Diego County, as we only had EMT-B (which was essentially gurney vans with a mixed in call to the SNF) and EMT-P.