UFC 77: HOSTILE TERRITORY predictions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : UFC 77: HOSTILE TERRITORY predictions

gr81disp
10-18-2007, 02:57
Ok guys, UFC time is upon us once again and it is time for the prediction thread.

Below are my predictions with analysis.

Matt "The Real One" Grice (9-1) v. Jason Black (22-3-1)
Grice was impressive in his fight against Terry Etim, winning the fight until getting caught in a guillotine, but Jason Black is for real and should steam roll over Grice in short order. Black should quickly be in title contention at 155.

Josh "The Peoples Warrior" Burkman (19-4) v. Forrest "The Meat Cleaver" Petz (19-4)
I am not sure who will win this battle for the worst nickname and that hook isn't exactly enough to make me want to find out. I am picking Burkman for the simple fact that he looked good in his loss to Karo Parisyan and he has beaten Drew Fickett and Josh Neer, the latter of which Petz lost to even though I know MMAth doesn't work. Petz has only two notable wins in his past, a decision against perennial contender Luigi Fioravanti and a two year old victory over Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett, which doesn't say much.

Demian Maia (6-0) v. Ryan Jenson (11-2)
Jenson for the simple fact that he beat that ***** Marlon Sims.

Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald (20-8) v. Yushin Okami (21-4)
Squeamish viewers should turn away for this fight, Okami is gonna commit several felonies against MacDonald. MacDonald stands virtually no chance. Okami has beaten better opposition and looked better in his losses than MacDonald has. MacDonald is basically a gimme fight for Okami the same way MacDonald was for Franklin. Expect a similar outcome.

Alan "The Talent" Belcher (10-3) v. Kalib Starnes (10-2-1)
Don't let the number fool you, Starnes has faced tougher opposition than Belcher has and walked away with mostly wins. Starnes' last loss came at the hands of Yushin Okami, but there is no shame in that. Belcher has fought a who's list of fighters, a group that you look at a name and say "Who?" The only names you see that you recognize are Sean Salmon, famous for his six-feet away crane kick, Kendall Grove, Yushin Okami, and Marvin "The Beastman" Eastman, with Belcher losing to the last three. Let me repeat that, BELCHER LOST TO EASTMAN. Eastman is a relatively good fighter but his jaw is made out of some kind of new material ten times more brittle than glass. Starnes should submit The Talent easily.

Eric "Ravishing Red" Schafer (9-2-2) v. Stephan "The American Psycho" Bonnar (13-4)
I gotta pick Schafer for the simple reason that I don't like roiders. I can deal with it if they are contrite, admit they made a mistake and never do it again, like Tim Sylvia, but Bonnar just didn't say anything after he popped positive, he just kinda faded into the background and waited out his suspension. If this fight stays standing, Golden Gloves boxer Bonnar should win, but if this goes to the ground, prepare for scrambles, reversals, sub attempts and just general awesomeness the likes of which has not been seen in a long time. Both have good jits and this could be an AMAZING ground war.

Alvin "Kid" Robinson (9-2) v. Jorge Gurgel (14-2)
This should be an easy win for Gurgel. Although neither has fought particularly impressive opposition, Gurgel has the experience edge and a better training camp by far.

Tim "The Maine-iac" Sylvia (25-3) v. Brandon "The Truth" Vera (8-0)
Vera's flawless record will finally be tarnished. Fresh from rehabbing a severe back injury that has plagued him for his last two fights, Sylvia looks to get back into title contention with a spectacular win over Vera. Vera has fought almost no real opposition. Mike Whitehead, a returned too soon Frank Mir and Assuerio Silva are his only real quality wins, unless you count Justin Eilers who reminds me of Ric Flair every time he gets KOed (which happens ALOT). Silva on the other hand has beaten Ben Rothwell, Mike Whitehead twice, Cabbage Correira, Ricco Rodriguez, Gan McGee, Tra Telligman, Assuerio Silva, Andre Arlovski twice, and Jeff Monson with 16 of his 25 wins coming by way of (T)KO, a whopping 70%. Sylvia's only three losses have been against a prime Frank Mir, Andre Arlovski and, of course, Randy "The Natural" Couture. All of these losses have come while defending or fighting for a UFC HW title. I see Vera being all hype and at the end of the night, Vera will see the Truth; Sylvia is a better fighter.

Rich "Ace" Franklin (24-2) v. Anderson "The Spider" Silva (19-4)
Ok, so last time out Silva administered some free but unsolicited rhinoplasty to Franklin. I believe this was much more due to an EXTREMELY poor gameplan on Rich's part than any true superiority. Rich said afterwards he thought he would be stronger in the clinch. HELLO?!? You though you would be stronger in the Muay Thai clinch than a fighter who trains with an organization called The Muay Thai Dream Team? YIKES!! Watching all two minutes of the fight again, Franklin was easily holding his own until he gets caught in the clinch, so if he can either stay out of the clinch or work to transition to the ground from there, he should be fine. This fight I really can't call and will just watch in anticipation.

Ok guys, your turn! Have at it!

agarr
10-18-2007, 20:28
I'll agree with most of your analysis- except for Sylvia/Vera. Vera will beat the "Maine-iac" like a rented mule.

Silva/ Franklin- I have been anxiously awaiting this one. Silva's awesome victory will be proven once and for all not to be a fluke. Franklin is scared and rightfully so. Every morning, he sees the scars Silva put on his face. When he enter the ring Saturday you will see FEAR on his face.

Silva by KO or TKO in the second round (if not the first)- after he administers some PAIN.

digthisbigcrux
10-19-2007, 23:14
I think Vera takes it. I'm also going to take Franklin for the upset, as well as Schafer over Bonnar. The last two I'm putting coin on

charlisity
10-20-2007, 14:41
What are the fight results?

digthisbigcrux
10-20-2007, 16:27
doesn't start until until 7:00PM PST...

gr81disp
10-20-2007, 23:16
Nevermind, just made a new post with the results.