Survival & Preparedness Archive (SPARC) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Survival & Preparedness Archive (SPARC)

TacticalRecon
10-19-2007, 19:24
I was thinking why don't we have a survival and preparedness data archive that allows people to upload their documents and pictures (BOV, BOL, BOB, EDC, Storage Room) so everyone can give and take information. Upload via FTP and access via FTP or HTTP.

I can host it up to 10GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth (100TB max bandwidth)

Click Here To Access SPARC (http://sparc.areyouprepared.org)

dissthis
10-19-2007, 19:59
there was one over at PP, but it did not work more than it did.

There was ALOT of good stuff there...

TacticalRecon
10-19-2007, 20:05
there was one over at PP, but it did not work more than it did.

There was ALOT of good stuff there...

Yeah I think it would be cool but what was the failure of it at PP?

I bet there would be A LOT of good stuff there

dissthis
10-19-2007, 20:16
not sure what the problem was...the IP address kept changing??? I have no idea???
this is the thread over at PP
http://www.practicalpreps.com/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172

not working

TacticalRecon
10-19-2007, 20:24
not sure what the problem was...the IP address kept changing??? I have no idea???
this is the thread over at PP
http://www.practicalpreps.com/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=172

not working

Hmm well my server uses a Static IP Address and runs in Houston, TX and is backed up weekly to a server in NYC.

Thought it would be a good idea to share knowledge and have an archive or information just in case a site goes down, etc. we have it!

TacticalRecon
10-20-2007, 13:46
I got it setup. If anyone is interested just let me know! :)

TexSquirrel
10-20-2007, 13:52
I got it setup. If anyone is interested just let me know! :)
I'm interested.
I have a mirror of what was at PP on my own webserver.
It is 3.7GB.
I can create an index and you can pull it with wget if you want.
I'll contact you when I get back to Houston.
I'm about to be migratory again.

Ha det bra!
OsloEkorn
http://www.pullig.com/pics/OsloEkorn_Avatar.jpg

TacticalRecon
10-20-2007, 13:55
Thanks Tex! Like I said I will have 10GB dedicated to this. I entitled it SPARC (Survival & Preparedness Archive) yes I am proud of myself for thinking of something clever ;)

You can access it through HTTP to access files and upload/download files through FTP.

Let me know when you are back in town!

TexSquirrel
10-20-2007, 14:00
ftp would be great.
I'll contact you when I get back and rest up a bit.

Ha det bra!
OsloEkorn

TacticalRecon
10-20-2007, 14:04
ftp would be great.
I'll contact you when I get back and rest up a bit.

Ha det bra!
OsloEkorn

Oh yeah. I have both so people who are not 100% computer savvy can still access the files via HTTP (basically viewing a directory of files associated with that web page). But for more novice people they can easily run FTP.

Yeah take your time get some rest and drink some clean water when you get back (as long as you dont live in Atlanta)

TexSquirrel
10-20-2007, 14:21
Yeah take your time get some rest and drink some clean water when you get back (as long as you dont live in Atlanta)Nope, I'm headed to Houston (via NY) in 12 hours.

Ha det bra!
OsloEkorn

TacticalRecon
10-20-2007, 14:41
Nope, I'm headed to Houston (via NY) in 12 hours.

Ha det bra!
OsloEkorn

Awesome! Have a safe flight! Let me know when you are ready to start this. I thank you a lot for your help and interest.

stjohn45
10-20-2007, 17:46
I'm interested! Got a load of files I can upload. Thanks..

Steve

TacticalRecon
10-20-2007, 18:02
I'm interested! Got a load of files I can upload. Thanks..

Steve

Wonderful, send me a private message and I will give you the details with ftp access.

TacticalRecon
10-20-2007, 20:14
SPARC is up and running, enjoy everyone.

Click here to access SPARC (http://sparc.gunguild.com)

TexSquirrel
10-21-2007, 18:06
Well I got stuck due to missing my connecting flight.
I'll hopefully get home tomorrow.

Help me I'm stuck!
NYSquirrel

Texas T
10-21-2007, 19:33
Well I got stuck due to missing my connecting flight. That's okay, I kicked off the archive with some stuff to keep it occupied until you get back home.

TacticalRecon
10-21-2007, 20:11
Yeah big thanks to Texas T for kicking off the archive with a big upload! Cant wait to start filling it up!

skyydiver
10-21-2007, 21:17
Awesome site. Is it okay with you for us to download files via FTP as well?

TacticalRecon
10-21-2007, 21:19
Awesome site. Is it okay with you for us to download files via FTP as well?

Thanks, it's very basic but does the job. Yes you may use FTP to download as well.

PM me for the details.

FTP PASSWORD CHANGES MONTHLY.

alphabavo
10-22-2007, 00:13
Tagged

*Filler text*

mitchshrader
10-22-2007, 03:34
to the degree possible, text (.txt) documents are more generally compatible across platforms than .pdf or .doc, and much smaller.

it would be nice to have the text files separate for folks with slow download speed, and PDF's separate so they could be printed..

thedave1164
10-22-2007, 07:23
to the degree possible, text (.txt) documents are more generally compatible across platforms than .pdf or .doc, and much smaller.

it would be nice to have the text files separate for folks with slow download speed, and PDF's separate so they could be printed..

Quite true for .txt files, but it is a major task to convert .pdf to text. .doc would be just a simple copy and paste for the most part.

Thank you for the site and I have some files I would like to add.

How about an area for some links as well?

Thanks again!

TacticalRecon
10-22-2007, 09:22
Quite true for .txt files, but it is a major task to convert .pdf to text. .doc would be just a simple copy and paste for the most part.

Thank you for the site and I have some files I would like to add.

How about an area for some links as well?

Thanks again!

No problem. It is not a major task to convert PDF to text unless of coarse it was created by scanned or image files.

I can have an area for links as well. If people can PM or email them to me I can put them on the first page.

If you want to add files shoot me a PM and I will send you the access

TexSquirrel
10-24-2007, 17:32
I've ftp'ed the archive I had of PP.
I'll contribute more when I get a chance.
10GB might not last long. ;)

TacticalRecon
10-24-2007, 17:36
I've ftp'ed the archive I had of PP.
I'll contribute more when I get a chance.
10GB might not last long. ;)

Sweet, dont worry I can up that :) What direct1ory did you put it in, I cant find it.

NEVER MIND I FOUND IT AND MOVED IT INTO THE ARCHIVE FOLDER! Thanks!

TacticalRecon
10-24-2007, 17:45
Storage space updated to 20GB, we are only using a little over 3GB, we have a long way to go :)

thedave1164
10-25-2007, 09:26
holi canoli.....

I could spend a week or more trying to find info that I want up there.

that is a lot of info that has been assembled.

TacticalRecon
10-25-2007, 10:15
holi canoli.....

I could spend a week or more trying to find info that I want up there.

that is a lot of info that has been assembled.

Yup! Should only get bigger.

Should probably get this Sticky'd so people know about it more. I was thinking about changing the title to SPARC - Survival & Preparedness Archive but I can't since I am not a Moderator.

TexSquirrel
10-27-2007, 08:57
I'm uploading more right now.
Mostly stuff I personally gathered, or wrote.
Also my upload includes M$ Word and Visio viewers, Adobe Readers,Winzip, and WinRAR for viewing .RAR files.
Everything you might need to view the fiels I've uploaded including the archive of PP.
I also noticed I had missed uploading most of what I had from PP due to not grabbing directories.
That should be there soon too.

TacticalRecon
10-27-2007, 09:04
Nice! thanks a lot Squirrel! I know 917MDS uploaded lots of stuff from the PP Archive.

TexSquirrel
10-27-2007, 20:40
How much total data do we have now?

TacticalRecon
10-27-2007, 21:20
How much total data do we have now?

5780.84 MB USED

917MDS
10-29-2007, 19:51
BTT

** Filler Text**

TacticalRecon
10-30-2007, 10:53
BTT

** Filler Text**

Should we request this thread to be stickied? If so please have the moderator change the title to SPARC - Survival & Preparedness Archive or Survival & Preparedness Archive (SPARC)

TacticalRecon
11-01-2007, 05:55
We are at 10GB already. Going to have to order a new hard drive for that server just dedicated to SPARC. I am thinking a 60GB one should do just fine :)

I am also going to filter the content to make sure there is no duplicates.

EDIT: The worry is fixed it was an error on the data backup portion. We had 3 months of backups eating up space. It is fixed and you can keep on UPLOADING! :) I still do want to prune it a bit to make sure there isnt duplicates

TexSquirrel
11-01-2007, 13:19
Duplicates, there aren't any duplicates!

;)

alphabavo
11-01-2007, 23:34
I would like to be able to download the entire archive to my computer. Is there an easy way to do this? I am fairly computer literate, but am not a genius by a long shot.

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 05:42
I would like to be able to download the entire archive to my computer. Is there an easy way to do this? I am fairly computer literate, but am not a genius by a long shot.

Best way would to be logged into FTP. I can PM you the access information once I get to work.

dissthis
11-02-2007, 07:46
I would like to be able to download the entire archive to my computer

yeah,I like to be able to do that too...

do you need a few bucks$$ for the new hard drive?? Let us know I bet we could send you some green to help pay for it...(I speak only for myself)

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 10:43
yeah,I like to be able to do that too...

do you need a few bucks$$ for the new hard drive?? Let us know I bet we could send you some green to help pay for it...(I speak only for myself)

Check your PM.

No money needed. I am not greedy, its a free service, enjoy!

alphabavo
11-02-2007, 10:49
Thanks for all the work guys! This is a great archive! To much good stuff, this will take quite some time for me to sift through.

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 11:05
Thanks for all the work guys! This is a great archive! To much good stuff, this will take quite some time for me to sift through.

Haha no problem. I only donated a little bit of the information but it was mostly all Texas T, TexSquirrel, 917MDS.

Enjoy

alphabavo
11-02-2007, 11:16
I wonder how many GOV watch lists I have added myself to by downloading all this stuff...

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 11:17
I wonder how many GOV watch lists I have added myself to by downloading all this stuff...

Hahaha everyone but the IRS ;) just kidding.

I just purchased a new domain name just for SPARC. I got AreYouPrepared.org - haven't even done anything to it yet.

alphabavo
11-02-2007, 11:19
Just how much data is there? I have downloaded about 2 gigs, It looks like I have barely scratched the surface. Around 10 gigs?

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 11:21
Just how much data is there? I have downloaded about 2 gigs, It looks like I have barely scratched the surface. Around 10 gigs?

Over 10GB's in total.

alphabavo
11-02-2007, 11:22
Time to fire up the spare drive!

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 11:54
Time to fire up the spare drive!

Haha I am setting up my 500GB FreeAgent Pro so I can backup SPARC, just in case anything goes down I have it and can get it up and running.

alphabavo
11-02-2007, 12:37
I just bought a 320gb drive to do the same thing. As more stuff is added I would like to know so I can get it all on and properly saved. The more people that have it the better.

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 12:42
I just bought a 320gb drive to do the same thing. As more stuff is added I would like to know so I can get it all on and properly saved. The more people that have it the better.

I agree. Information is vital and I am glad we have a lot so far but the more the better! So far it's been moving quite quickly which is good. Bandwidth is increasing but I have way more than enough to handle the needs.

TexSquirrel
11-02-2007, 14:23
Bandwidth is increasing but I have way more than enough to handle the needs.
If bandwidth is not an issue, I'll setup my webserver to mirror yours.
That way I'll have an entire copy of what you have.
I have a new(to me) Sun T3 that I can use.
I need to find a (cheap) way to de-duplicate files, although 10GB is note enough to worry about duplicating.

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 14:28
If bandwidth is not an issue, I'll setup my webserver to mirror yours.
That way I'll have an entire copy of what you have.

Go right ahead I will let you know when the bandwidth starts taking a beating :)

I have a new(to me) Sun T3 that I can use.
I need to find a (cheap) way to de-duplicate files, although 10GB is note enough to worry about duplicating.

Nice is that the Sun StorEdge T3? Good stuff!

I am going to move SPARC over to sparc.areyouprepared.org in a week or so I will notify everyone though. All the files will be there, so no worries.

TexSquirrel
11-02-2007, 14:39
Yep, I'm running the following for my Oracle/webserver:
Sun StorEdge T3, Brocade 3200, Sun Netra 1125, QLogic HBAs

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 14:43
Yep, I'm running the following for my Oracle/webserver:
Sun StorEdge T3, Brocade 3200, Sun Netra 1125, QLogic HBAs

Very nice!

TexSquirrel
11-02-2007, 14:53
Thanks.
The Netra is getting a bit old now, but it still runs great.
2 x 450MHz UltraSPARC II
2 GB Ram
2 x 180GB system drives mirrored with Veritas VxVM

T3 is ~500GB RAID 5
I was given the T3 right before I had to leave for my work in Norway.
It was one of the first things I played with when I got back.

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 15:00
Mmm RAID 5 hehe. I have a home server that is not used as a webserver that is pretty good. We use it to hold recipes, photos, music, etc. and is tied into all of our computers (mapped drives, directories, etc.).

I have all of SPARC backed up on my home server and an external raid array.

TexSquirrel
11-02-2007, 15:19
I have all of SPARC backed up on my home server and an external raid array.

DR site, eh?

I have a Sun Ultra 2 at a friends house that mirrors my webserver.

TacticalRecon
11-02-2007, 16:20
SPARC IS CURRENTLY DOWN DUE TO MOVE - IT WILL BE UP IN A FEW MINUTES

NEW LOCATION WILL BE HTTP://SPARC.AREYOUPREPARED.ORG

NEW ACCESS FTP ACCESS WILL BE GRANTED TO THOSE WHOM ASKED VIA PM ON GLOCKTALK. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE PM ME!

UPDATE: I will be doing the move this weekend. http://sparc.gunguild.com is still up and running and you can get as many files as you want until tomorrow evening starting at 8PM. The move over will begin then.

DO NOT UPLOAD TO SPARC UNTIL SUNDAY AND ON THE NEW SPARC LOCATION @ SPARC.AREYOUPREPARED.ORG

TacticalRecon
12-10-2007, 09:08
Yes I know it has been awhile since I did this lol I have been busy with family and getting ready for these crazy holidays.

I am switching domains right now and transferring the data from one server folder to the other, please be patient :)

alphabavo
12-11-2007, 20:47
tagged again

TacticalRecon
12-11-2007, 20:55
UPDATE: Still transferring files to the new domain. Should be done tomorrow. For new FTP access please PM me.

TacticalRecon
12-19-2007, 10:17
Most of SPARC is up and running; just finishing the transfer, been slow due to power outages in the area of one of our servers here in Pennsylvania. Doing my best to get it up quickly for you guys.

http://sparc.areyouprepared.org/archive/

Once it is up I will be giving out FTP access so people can download items easier.

TacticalRecon
12-23-2007, 08:58
SPARC IS UP AND RUNNING

Those who requested access to SPARC received a reply to their PM/E-mail with access instructions.

Enjoy everyone and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.

dissthis
12-23-2007, 09:44
pm in bound for new access info.
thanks

Craig67
12-23-2007, 16:37
I'm having problems with the .rar files, is there a copy of WinRAR in the archive somewhere ?

Also, some of TexSquirrel's zip files ask for pass words to open them.

Thanks to everyone working on the archive, its a huge amount of work I'm sure.

TIA,

TacticalRecon
12-23-2007, 17:03
I'm having problems with the .rar files, is there a copy of WinRAR in the archive somewhere ?

Also, some of TexSquirrel's zip files ask for pass words to open them.

Thanks to everyone working on the archive, its a huge amount of work I'm sure.

TIA,

There should be a copy of WinRAR there if not I can upload it.

As far as zip files having a password on them you will have to ask TexSquirrel about that.

Craig67
12-23-2007, 18:02
There should be a copy of WinRAR there if not I can upload it.

TacticalRecon,

I can't seem to find WinRAR there, I would much appreciate it if you could post a copy of it.

TIA,

TacticalRecon
12-23-2007, 18:11
TacticalRecon,

I can't seem to find WinRAR there, I would much appreciate it if you could post a copy of it.

TIA,

Uploaded. I included the WinRAR License Key. This is the one that WinRAR was giving out for free about a year or so ago. I just hope it still works, let me know.

It is in the public_html/archive/WinRAR directory.

Craig67
12-23-2007, 19:11
I'm not sure what to do with the key, I can't figure out where to input it.

Other than that, the program is running as a 40 day free trial version.

Thank you TacticalRecon :supergrin:

TacticalRecon
12-23-2007, 19:13
I'm not sure what to do with the key, I can't figure out where to input it.

Other than that, the program is running as a 40 day free trial version.

Thank you TacticalRecon :supergrin:

Save the *.key file to the desktop and open it, it changes the registry key to use the lifetime key.

Craig67
12-23-2007, 19:42
The key dosen't seem to work but it might be me.

Thanks again TacticalRecon

TacticalRecon
12-23-2007, 20:13
The key dosen't seem to work but it might be me.

Thanks again TacticalRecon

Craig:

Uninstall that one I got the correct one. Sorry.

Same folder.

Enjoy
-TR

Craig67
12-23-2007, 22:00
That one looks good :cool:

Thanks,

TacticalRecon
12-24-2007, 08:22
That one looks good :cool:

Thanks,

Glad I could help!

yrone
01-11-2008, 14:16
Hey just wanted to say a big THANKS to you guys putting forth so much effort to archive all this information! I have something to contribute so Ill send out a PM about getting it up.

TacticalRecon
01-11-2008, 19:29
Hey just wanted to say a big THANKS to you guys putting forth so much effort to archive all this information! I have something to contribute so Ill send out a PM about getting it up.

Thanks. I just provide the free hosting space everyone else provides the priceless information for everyone.

Shoot me a PM and I will send you access to the FTP so you can download and contribute.

Thank you for your comments. :wavey:

alphabavo
01-11-2008, 23:04
Thanks guys. Re-building my files now...

TacticalRecon
01-12-2008, 08:38
Uploading more files today.

Thanks for all your support in making this a great resource for us S&Per's!

falnovice
01-22-2008, 15:37
Hello.
I can't seem to use any file I download from the archive. .pdf's show as corrupted, or damaged......am I missing something here. This seems to be a great resource but I can't seem to make it work.

Help!

Thanks.

survivalkid
03-21-2008, 00:06
I can't access the FTP page posted on first page of this thread. Help?

survivalkid
03-21-2008, 00:07
I've got 25 gb hosting space and 250 gb bandwidth a month. Let me know if u'd like space.

TacticalRecon
03-21-2008, 04:16
I can't access the FTP page posted on first page of this thread. Help?

Should work. Send me a private message and I will give you FTP Access.

MIJoe
04-21-2009, 05:28
Greetings.

Would appreciate info on how to access SPARC files.

Thanks

Joe

ChangeTheGame
04-30-2009, 19:20
I would also like info on how to access the SPARC files. I get an error every time I try to click the link.

cvlg19
05-07-2009, 02:15
I would also like to access sparc files.

messu
05-07-2009, 13:21
I contacted the owner of the SPARC website and he said he took it down due to the amount of data that the actual SPARC drive took, he stated over 250GB of data.

He did say that you can mail your external drive to him and he would fill it and mail it back. I have not done it yet but I know two other users on this board have.

cvlg19
05-08-2009, 02:49
Thanks for the update. 250gb?!

I think I will shop for some manuals and books. Maybe hard copy would be better for me.

MIJoe
07-11-2009, 07:48
Interested in the entire SPARC files, and after contacting him by email, I sent him an external hard drive and a prepaid return package.

On 23 June he acknowledged receiving my HD, stating “Received it just now. Will put the files on and ship it out today or early tomorrow morning.”

Since then (18 days), I have not received my HD, and have received no reply to several emails and one voicemail.

Has anybody heard from him in the last two weeks?
Hope he is OK

Appreciate any updates.

TexSquirrel
07-11-2009, 08:35
He has not been online since 6-17.
Probably on vacation or has gotten very busy.
Try e-mailing again but using a different subject in case spam filters are blocking your e-mail.

MIJoe
07-18-2009, 07:07
In reply to TexSquirrel

I have sent TR an email from another of my email addresses.
I have not heard from him since June 23rd.
And my hard drive has not shipped back - checked daily with UPS for last several days and just now.

I trust all is OK with him - but I 'd like my hard drive back, with or without the SPARC files.

swordsmn
08-14-2009, 08:28
MIJoe resolved his issue with TR.

Drive was located, Sparc added, Drive Returned

I think he just forgot to post that "closure" followup.

swordsmn

MIJoe
08-21-2009, 06:10
As swordsmn mentioned – and he was instrumental in clearing this situation, thanks - everything was resolved satisfactorily.

As I see it, what happened was not TR’s fault , yet he took care of my HD issue right away.

So, thanks TR and swordsmn – the SPARC files have great S&P material.

Joe

TheSwagger
09-18-2009, 23:51
I understand that manually copying this to mailed hard drives must be somewhat inconvenient for TR. Is there any other place that you guys are aware of that has some/most/all of this information archived? I used to have quite a bit of this saved and lost an external hard drive of mine that had the information, unfortunately. Thanks to TR for providing this in the past.... invaluable resource. That's what I get for not having a backup... lesson learned!

amd4me
09-19-2009, 10:45
SPARC is not up. If someone want to give me the data on dvd's I would be more than happy to make a website for it.

chosos
12-21-2009, 10:17
i would like a copy of this - who do i email or send a drive to?

quinnt
05-03-2010, 18:40
Why is this still up? Can we get an update going on or get this taken down?

cowboy1964
12-07-2010, 14:07
:faint:

Wolf Spyder
12-29-2011, 13:10
I found it here;

http://sparc.areyouprepared.org/