Memories of MCRD, either one [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Memories of MCRD, either one

GreenDrake
10-20-2007, 12:31
Ahh, the yellow footprints, your first chow hall experience, the bridge over troubled water (Hollywood Marines), ***** Ridge and Mt. Mother, footlocker rifle drills, cleaning the squad bay deck with hand towels, filling up the 12 inch square of tile with sweat while getting bent, the list goes on...the kind of stuff that makes old Marines smile.

USMC 0844
WITPG 1 Veteran
87-93

usmc0341
10-20-2007, 16:32
Weekend Liberty............oops, that's the Army!!!

How bout "The Pit"

GreenDrake
10-20-2007, 18:04
Happy Valley?

Brigrat
10-20-2007, 18:47
Ahh, the yellow footprints, your first chow hall experience, the bridge over troubled water (Hollywood Marines), ***** Ridge and Mt. Mother, footlocker rifle drills, cleaning the squad bay deck with hand towels, filling up the 12 inch square of tile with sweat while getting bent, the list goes on...the kind of stuff that makes old Marines smile.

USMC 0844
WITPG 1 Veteran
87-93
Ahhhh...the good old days...96-2000, MCRD SD...

GreenDrake
10-24-2007, 07:13
I have to hand it to a Mormon friend of mine from high school who went in before I did. I urged me to go to the Mormon services in the quonset huts, which I did. Reason being, the Mormons weren't stupid, they let us write letters home while in their services, and brought in chicks. No kidding, they brought in gorgeous girls to work the services...it was a nice relief from the catholic services in the autidorium, stand sit kneel...was just like the day to day in boot. The Mormons let us chat with chicks, write letters and have a cookie or two, it was beautiful.

pds
10-24-2007, 08:47
The 30 sec hair cut.
MCRD SD 1965

lethrnk
10-24-2007, 12:55
One scoop of jello Privates, one scoop of jello...

Hollywood 1975
Plt 2035

GreenDrake
10-25-2007, 07:01
"FRENCH DRESSING DIET PRIVATE, I know the French may be the world's finest surrender monkeys, BUT YOUR FAT BODY BETTER LEARN WHAT KIND OF DRESSING THEY MAKE BEFORE I LOSE MY FREAKIN MIND"

Kingslayer
10-29-2007, 14:14
One of my fondest moments was doing the obstacle course.

Our SDI told us that when we did the Slide for Life (the one rope over the water) that if anything fell our of our pockets we had to follow it.

Well I smuggled my wristwatch out of my footlocker that day and had it in my right cargo pocket where it wouldn't easily be seen. Of course you had to put your cover in your cargo pocket and I forgot to button both buttons. I was on the slide for life and started out on top of the rop and half way through our SDI would tell us to flip over and we had to go the rest of the way from under the rope.

When my SDI said flip I flipped and heard the dreaded "KERPLUNK" it was a big heavy Casio G-Shock. My SDI said "I don't know what that was Wills but you better follow it and you better not come up without it.

Well I was an active scuba diver in high school so I took a deep breath and dropped in and started looking for my watch. I knew there was going to be hell to pay if I came back up with it or if I didn't so I figured I might as well get my watch back. Being an active scuba diver and snorkeler I could hold my breath for quite a long time. Easily over 2 minutes.

I had been down there quite a while and the next thing I know I was being ripped from the water by my SDI.

"When I said don't come back without it I didn't mean kill yourself you idiot!"

"Sir, this recruit was just trying to find what he lost, sir!"

"And just what did you lose Wills?"

"Sir, (gulp) this recruit lost his watch, sir."

And that is when the crap hit the fan. I payed for that day. Oh boy did I ever pay.

GreenDrake
10-29-2007, 14:26
Ha haaaa. that is good stuff. I remember watching a poor recruit on the slide for life, he was anxious and did not like heights, was so eager to get down that cable that while starting in the forward position, he missed grabbing the cable on his ssecond grab...fell onto the hard rope netting and bounced off and onto the sandbags on the sides. Convusions and an ambulance followed, with DI's giving him hell all the time.

We had a recruit who thought he could get out of boot camp by jumping off the squad bays...granted they are only three stories, but he laid there on the deck, two broken legs, with six DIs standing around him shouting HEAD FIRST ****BIRD, IF YOU WANT TO DIE< JUMP HEAD FIRST...YOU CAN'T EVEN KILL YOURSELF CORRECTLY

Kingslayer
10-30-2007, 08:32
Our drill instructors let us watch a platoon in the squad bay across from ours pick up a new class. We were on the 3rd deck and so was the new platoon.

That first day is a whirlwind and is pretty rough. They had one recruit doing mountain climbers inside a fart sack and he snapped. Launched himself out the window...

Didn't hurt him! He got up, brushed himself off, and get this, went back up!

Talk about a glutton for punishment...

inkslut
11-02-2007, 08:23
bug juice, go fasters, ink sticks, and moon beams.

GreenDrake
11-02-2007, 08:29
Knowledge or PRAC

USMC Ryfleman
11-05-2007, 18:15
The quarter deck. nuff said.

GreenDrake
11-05-2007, 19:00
Bridge over Troubled Waters

duffbeer
11-05-2007, 19:13
AtoB in the chow hall line

SeriousStudent
11-05-2007, 19:38
"You may not be the smartest MF'er to leave this depot, but you will be the strongest."

"Now begin."

akapennypincher
11-05-2007, 19:43
The 30 sec hair cut.
MCRD SD 1965

Plus having to pay for that Haircut. Plus long hours, poor pay, not great food, and tired mussels, and body.
MCRD SD 1965

357glocker
11-07-2007, 15:42
Do they still use the "Cobra" smell good stuff in huge quantities for everything?

GreenDrake
11-07-2007, 16:00
Wasn't that stuff called Sea Breeze? I remember we had Sea Breeze and Windex, before inspection the DIs would have a recruit come through and you'd shut your eyes and open your mouth, what you got was a combination of both in giant squeeze bottles, tasty and painful. Or was it Driftwood? (no, not the titty bar outside the main gate at LeJeune)

TMG
11-07-2007, 16:40
"Ears" - "Open Sir"
"Eyeballs" - "Click Sir"

And at chow, "Where's my friggin' Double Rashons private?", "Where's my Diet Privates?", "When the Guides done, you're all done!"

When you first started marching, how many had to repeat this:

DI - "Forward..."
Recruit - "Take a full 30 inch step with the left foot Eye Eye Sir"

And the things I say to my kids every so often for fun.... 'Go brush your fangs', Put on your 'Go Fasters', dont forget your 'Moon beam'..

glkdawg45
11-07-2007, 18:02
Do they still use the "Cobra" smell good stuff in huge quantities for everything?

When I was at P.I., it was the old Aqua-velvet. :laughing: Anyone remember it ?

Whiskey Six
11-07-2007, 18:49
Where to begin? Final PFT. One recruit had the runs all down the back of his legs. It was a mess. After the run he was standing at attention and the Senior sent him to the squad bay ahead of all of us. Our Senior turned to us and said. "Nobody laughs. That recruit just ran the crap out of himself". We all about died.

We were in the squad bay one evening when a recruit asked for permission to make an "emergency sit down head call" The DI asked him if he knew what sound an emergency vehicle makes. The recruit replied "Sir, a siren, Sir". The DI replied "I had better hear a siren then". That recruit howled for all he was worth the whole time he was in the head.

Don't forget "chicken wing".

gruntmedik
11-07-2007, 20:54
Playing "Beat the clock" on the Quarter Deck.

Making it "Rain" in the Pit.

Not being allowed to say our SDI'd name, only "Senior Drill Instructor Staff Seargent mmmmm"

Mountain climbers under your rack.

The Daytona 500 with our racks.

Foot-locker drill.

Man, I miss it.

Whiskey Six
11-07-2007, 21:19
Playing "Beat the clock" on the Quarter Deck.

"With a fartsack and pillow case. Get in my classroom. Now! Move!"

357glocker
11-08-2007, 09:16
"You wanna play games recruit? I got games, I have more games than Milton Bradley, more twists than a rubix cube, lets play!

gruntmedik
11-08-2007, 10:42
During mess week, myself and four other recruits were tasked with moving our squadbay from the 3rd deck to the 1st deck. Our Drill Instructor apparently thought we had it too easy, so among other things, he had us mount the pull-up bars that were on the quarter-deck. He then sprinkled foot powder all over the quarter-deck, dared us to dismount the pull-up bars, and went to chow. I swear that was the longest he ever spent at the chow hall.

GreenDrake
11-09-2007, 09:26
Ouch, I remember the pull up bars at MCRD SD, the bloody tape all over them, the blisters that burst and you had to do pushups on the hot pavement with open wounds, then get back up on the bloody bars. Oh the good times and the rite of passage.

02LimitedX
11-11-2007, 08:25
I enjoyed working the pits at Chosin... The DIs would take you in the head and youd play games. They'd have about 20 people in the head bear crawling around the head 20 times in 3 minutes while hes splashing water all over the deck. Of course you never got all the laps done in time so you did it again... and again and again. Then we had to squat down and bunny hop with our hands on the persons shoulders infront of us and do so many laps in 2 minutes and we even had a guide, his guideon was a dirty mop he held horizontally to hit everyone in the face with. I really enjoyed boot camp. Maybe I'm just crazy like that, but it was fun! Some of the craziest stuff happened at Weapons and Field Training Bn...

ro42023
11-13-2007, 09:42
i remember pugil stick training and i saw that a quick thrust to the head would get you a fast kill. so i went up with a guy a bit bigger than me and i just thrusted my stick in his face and the DI's stopped the match and gave me the win. i had the fastest win in the company. i ran off and i started to take my protective gear off when the Senior Drill Instructor from the platoon of the guy i beat came by and slapped me across the helmet i was wearing with a smile. ever since then when he would see me he would go out of his way to give me ****. not hazing me but just playing around.

GreenDrake
11-13-2007, 13:38
i remember pugil stick training and i saw that a quick thrust to the head would get you a fast kill. so i went up with a guy a bit bigger than me and i just thrusted my stick in his face and the DI's stopped the match and gave me the win. i had the fastest win in the company. i ran off and i started to take my protective gear off when the Senior Drill Instructor from the platoon of the guy i beat came by and slapped me across the helmet i was wearing with a smile. ever since then when he would see me he would go out of his way to give me ****. not hazing me but just playing around.

I learned a little bit about pugil stick fights prior to going to boot camp so I was looking forward to the matchups. On the bridge over troubled waters, I got up there, started talking trash big time, all the while bringing my stick to a vertical forward cant position while the other guy was talking back he was bringin his stick horizontal, quick jab to the face and a buttstroke to knock him into the water, was all it took for me to win both of my fights.

The recruit behind me was a crazy dude from Boston, he got all crazy early, ran all the way across the bridge and started beating the snot out of the recruit who was not prepared to see such a vicious attack coming all the way over at him. Needless to say it hurt his psyche and he lost to the crazy Bostonian as well. That day was so much fun.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 16:46
Ouch, I remember the pull up bars at MCRD SD, the bloody tape all over them, the blisters that burst and you had to do pushups on the hot pavement with open wounds, then get back up on the bloody bars. Oh the good times and the rite of passage.

Me too. One time one of the DI's grabbed the last guy coming in the squadbay and said, "Oh. You wanna hang around, ha?". He made that poor guy hang from that bar for at least an hour.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 16:48
I got my head knocked off in the pugil sticks, but a different outcome in the boxing. I noticed when the DI blew the whistle, the first thing everyone did was swing at the head. So when it was my turn, the whistle blew, I ducked, the other guy swung over my head and I punched him as hard as I could in the belly. They made us go at it until he finally tagged me.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 16:53
My most memorable moment was first phase drill. One of the recruits was too scared to request permission to go to the head and ended up pissing himself. Eventually the DI noticed and made everone in the squad "blow dry him". He stood at attention while about 14 other recruits had their noses pressed up to his crotch (or as close as they could come) just blowin' away. Thank got I was in a different squad.

Anyone else have to do the three or four to a single urinal?

How about the bleach showers during field day?

Rugby
11-13-2007, 16:57
During second phase field training, the recruits were saving chow then sneaking into the ****ters to eat at night. Well, the **** sucker would not suck out the porta-johns because of the wrappers. There was stool over the height of the seats. The DI's made us go in and hand pick out the wrappers. Yummy. And my wife wonders why I'm all messed up in the head.

02LimitedX
11-13-2007, 17:01
My most memorable moment was first phase drill. One of the recruits was too scared to request permission to go to the head and ended up pissing himself. Eventually the DI noticed and made everone in the squad "blow dry him". He stood at attention while about 14 other recruits had their noses pressed up to his crotch (or as close as they could come) just blowin' away. Thank got I was in a different squad.

Anyone else have to do the three or four to a single urinal?

We had alot of people pissing themselves. The funniest time was when a recruit had to go in the chow hall. He drank all the water out of his canteen and proceeded to refill it below the table. Our DI ran over and started screaming at him telling him if he had both of his hands in his lap then he must be done with chow! Our DI had no clue what was going on under that chow table... LOL.
We had to get 4 recruits on a toilet but only 3 on a urinal. We even figured out how to get 4 in a porta potty! And then there was the time we fit 80 recruits inside the stalls in the head... there was only 10 stalls! I miss it even though it was only last week.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:05
The pit.

"Oh. You don't wanna go down-up no more? Very well, up-down-up-down..."

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:07
First phase drill. We were ****ing up bad. The DI's made us take our boots off and throw them in a pile and proceeded to give us 30 seconds to get boots back on. Nothing like two hours of marching with the wrong size boots.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:08
How about being on the 500 yard line at the rifle range and having the DI tell you to grab your gear and run to the pits. Upon arrival another DI asks what the **** you're doing here and sends you back. Repeat.

GreenDrake
11-13-2007, 17:10
We had a Private Pyle night at the rifle range, a recruit took a donut or cookie to the squad bay and the DI found it, we came back from chow and every footlocker was empty on the floor, the racks were taken apart and sitting in a heaping pile of metal and mattresses, the place was a wreck. Then they took the culprit, put a campaign cover on him and had him bend his own platoon, the Senior had me go get him lots of water and snacks so he could sit indian style and bend his own, this is the same guy who refused to hump up mount mother, and a JR DI buttstroked him and knocked him out (lost his belt for two weeks)

I was a diet private, 8 pounds over...and knew I had lost it by then, was always a top PFTer so I decided to turn the tables on the DIs when it came time for meal inspection, I put one frickin leaf of lettuce on my tray. The JR's didn't give a rip, they would just look at me and say "what the f*$k is wrong wit choo boy?" The Senior ended up asking me to explain it, I told him that "this recruit is a top performing member of 1125, sir, and he no longer feels he should be a diet private, sir" he took me into the duty hut and weighed me. I had already lost 15 pounds, so he took me off diet private, hell I lost 30 pounds in boot camp. All the time I had scrunched balled up doughey white bread into balls and slid them into my cargo pockets for some form of nutrition.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:12
The whiskey locker. One troubled recruit and two DI's enter, two DI's leave and corrected recruit staggers out later.

Sun gods holding rifles.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

GreenDrake
11-13-2007, 17:16
How about being on the 500 yard line at the rifle range and having the DI tell you to grab your gear and run to the pits. Upon arrival another DI asks what the **** you're doing here and sends you back. Repeat.

Our guide at the time was Jason Hearns, the cousin of Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns and was a huge Dark Green, they could not break that man. We had three platoons lined up to march out of the butts, when our JR decided to tell Hearns to sneak up behind the targets and take the guidon of the forward platoon.

Hearns did more than that, he snuck up there, grabbed the guidon, broke it over his knee and punched their guide right on the chin, knocking him out. As you all well know, it was on then. The DIs had a hard time breaking it up without firing a sidearm into the air, the rangemaster had. Three platoons, swinging M-16s like they were baseball bats, in the mud, with several recruits unconscious in the muck face down, it was a melee. From then on the other platoons didn't mess with us by breaking our formation or starting any nonsense. That was one for the memory books.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:17
Two seperate incidents at mail call.

One recruit got a can of dip from his brother. The DI made him chew the whole can right there.

A recruit got cookies for his birthday, "enough for the whole platoon" his mom loving wrote in the letter. The DI made him stand in front of us and eat the whole box right there as we sang happy birthday to him.

GreenDrake
11-13-2007, 17:18
We would deal Robitussin in the head, $5 a bottle or the guy who could spit shine like nobody's business would obtain his through favors, then sell shots in the head. Man, this is bringing back all kinds of good stuff.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:19
Our guide at the time was Jason Hearns, the cousin of Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns and was a huge Dark Green, they could not break that man. We had three platoons lined up to march out of the butts, when our JR decided to tell Hearns to sneak up behind the targets and take the guidon of the forward platoon.

Hearns did more than that, he snuck up there, grabbed the guidon, broke it over his knee and punched their guide right on the chin, knocking him out. As you all well know, it was on then. The DIs had a hard time breaking it up without firing a sidearm into the air, the rangemaster had. Three platoons, swinging M-16s like they were baseball bats, in the mud, with several recruits unconscious in the muck face down, it was a melee. From then on the other platoons didn't mess with us by breaking our formation or starting any nonsense. That was one for the memory books.

Dark green. God, I haven't heard that in years. "In the Corps we are all green, some are just dark green".

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:23
"Feet apart. Hands up. Elbows in. Chin down. Combat warrior stance aye,aye sir!"

GreenDrake
11-13-2007, 17:23
Dark green. God, I haven't heard that in years. "In the Corps we are all green, some are just dark green".

Yeah, and dude was a big man, stomach stuck out, but it was knots of muscle, long arms and pretty imposing, but the funniest, nicest guy on earth. I ended up going through artillery school with him, he was a gun bunny, he'd be out in the sand pits on liberty wrestling two guys at once for money.

Another story about him, he was standing in formation before liberty on friday night in arty school, which was at Ft. Sill an Army Basic Training site...when an Army Drill Sergeant decided to break our formation and walk between Hearns and the next Marine. Hearns picked him up and body slammed him. He got in Hearns' face and talked a bunch, then went to our Gunny and *****ed. The Gunny came out, asked Hearns what happened, Hearns explained he broke our ranks and the Gunny told the Drill Sergeant he'd whoop his arse himself if he ever broke Marine ranks again.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:44
We would deal Robitussin in the head, $5 a bottle or the guy who could spit shine like nobody's business would obtain his through favors, then sell shots in the head. Man, this is bringing back all kinds of good stuff.

No "drug dealing" in boot camp that I knew of. In Desert Storm it was those ****ing Hydroxycut pills. They were going for $20.00/pill. Nothing like getting amp'd up on Hydroxycut and lookin' for something to kill.

Rugby
11-13-2007, 17:48
Man, the memories. Enlisting was the greatest thing I ever did in my life. I doubt I'd be where I am today if it wasn't for the Corps. Semper Fi my brothers. Now I'm all teary-eyed.

TurtleBoy617
11-19-2007, 20:44
damn all of these stories. I am not a Marine yet. However, for some strange, sick reason, I am really looking forward to PI this summer. It is going to be a long 13 weeks isnt it...? But will certainly be worth it, and through pain, I will gain strength. Semper Fidelis

GreenDrake
11-20-2007, 07:56
Just remember, boot camp is all about keeping you in a constant state of confusion and chaos. the bottom line of "every Marine is a rifleman" meaning you must be able to function in chaotic environments, so as much as the DIs will keep you thinking WTF, the purpose will be ingrained in your psyche about keeping clear focus on the objective. You should be looking forward to it, it will the the finest life changing event of your lifetime, there is no better feeling (aside from the obvious high school girlfriend) than when you earn that title Marine, when you hear your Senior begin his cadence to dismiss your platoon, you've earned that title, and you will know what it means that day.

Good luck recruit, Semper Fidelis

Mosi
11-20-2007, 20:34
Carefully picking up our dorky guide in his rack at zero and a wake up and locking him in the whiskey locker.

Graduating in Dress Blues (all of us)

Having the SDI roll a TV in the squad bay and letting us watch daddy Bush tell us the war (Desert Storm) was over and all of us booing because we wouldn't see action.

My HUGE 2nd degree blister burns that put me on light duty through the rifle range. There is nothing more comfy than sitting on bloody feet while qualifying in the sitting position.

"GANGWAY LIVE GRENADE!"

Getting stuffed "*******s to elbows" into cattle trucks to get to morning chow at the Navy base while they finished the new (then) chow hall.

Being the "2111" recruit that doubled locked the rifles and got to do late chow as a result.... ahhh, being able to take my time to eat was great!

Getting 2nd highest shooter in the platoon. The Platoon getting maintenance instead of mess because we took the range.

It goes on and on...

jayzazueta
12-08-2007, 12:28
Just want to say Thanks to all the Devil Dogs, For what you did or doing! I tried to become part of your guys Corps right out of high school but the Corps didn't think I was fit for it! M.E.P.S. DQ'd me due to Asthma history! I was pretty mad about that but I still have great respect for the U.S.M.C.

E__WOK
04-13-2008, 16:52

Before inspections, our DI's sprayed some listerine in our mouths which we were not allowed to spit out. Sometimes they would spray Cobra 65 into our mouths instead.

inkslut
04-13-2008, 17:08
Before inspections, our DI's sprayed some listerine in our mouths which we were not allowed to spit out. Sometimes they would spray Cobra 65 into our mouths instead.

Yes, the DIs getting the spray bottles mixed up was always fun. And you were not allowed to spit out the cologne either.

GreenDrake
04-14-2008, 07:05
Yes, the DIs getting the spray bottles mixed up was always fun. And you were not allowed to spit out the cologne either.

Yeah we had SeaBreeze aftershave in 87. We had to close our eyes open our mouths and the DIs would take both bottles of them and just point them in our faces and shoot. If you winced, you got direct shots of Sea Breeze in your mouth, nothing like that flavor that lasts through inspection. You wonder why our inspection photos in the yearbook were so serious, we still had that bitter taste in our mouths.

KAZ
04-14-2008, 09:38
June 1966, Brothers of the Yellow Footprints. Riding the train(drunk) from Dallas to SD. Lots of very funny situations if you were stupid enough to laugh. NonQual recruit one PT over offing himself in the head. Throwing swabbies who were dumb enough to try going AWOL over "our" fence back. I understand that they no longer train there. Walking out on the Oceanside pier with that great smoked fish being cooked. Cold beer/best margaritas/topless chicks in the world at the Normandy. :cool: Regards

Leigh
04-14-2008, 10:15
Evening hygeine drill after showering.

Everybody in their skivvies and flip-flops doing that stupid little shuffle.

A recruit's manhood flops out directly across the squad bay from me (those cheap white skivvies had a very generous opening).

I quickly glance to the guy to my left and right. We all know we will pay a high price but it was just too funny to see this guy standing at attention and not moving to fix himself while the DI's are barking orders and accusing him of being a homosexual and a child molester!

We burst out in uncontrollable laughter; a very short burst mind you, but still laughter.

Of course, the mountain climbers ensued but man, it was hilarious!

BullsEye10X
04-26-2008, 23:14
The first couple weeks at PI, almost everyone had a cough or cold of some kind. I don't know if it was from all the different germs in one place, all those vaccinations or what. So I write home asking for some cough drops... Big mistake! Mom sent 5 bags, Dad another 5 :shocked: So the SDI throws them at everyone and says he doesn't want to see any after tomorrow. Well I had a whole bag left the next day and of course he finds 'em. Calls me up and has two recruits on either side opening cough drops while he's jamming 'em down the hatch :puking:
To this day I can't stand f'ing cough drops.

Another day, we'd been out playing in the pit. Came back in the squad bay all sweaty/nasty. SDI is pissed about something or other and has us strip down to nothing. About the time I'm thinking we're headed for the shower, he says "wagonwheel" :brickwall: We got about halfway around and he says stop, then made us get dressed with whoever's clothes we were in front of. Wore them for the rest of that day. Ewww...

Ever since that summer, everything else in life has been a cake walk :supergrin:

GreenDrake
04-27-2008, 07:05
I love it.

I remember coming back from field training, right after we humped B#&ch Ridge and had to go into the gas chambers, the quonset huts....the CS gas was so strong, that orange haze, that every one of us had sore throats so bad they quarantined the entire MCRD base and we all had to get bicillin shots, huge needle in the buttcheek. The DIs weren't so happy that they had to get shots too so they made us all get on the quarterdeck with our hands on our heads "stand up, sit down stand up, sit down" slamming our already painful butts onto the tile. Bruises for a couple weeks.

Another one was Christmas morning at the rifle range, got up at 4am and they sweat us in groups in those deep, soft sand pits, having us dive in head first and do the "Mark Spitz" tossing sand with our faces, then saying "oh, we forgot it's Christmas, get up and get back in the rack now move". Ahhh nothing like sleeping in on Christmas morning, soaked in sweat and cammies filled with sand.

GreenDrake
04-30-2008, 08:55
Getting those crystallized salt stains out of your combat boots, man that was some polishing.

We had a guy in our platoon that was an expert at spit shines, charged $5 per pair, and you made a big mistake if you never worked the leather in your dress shoes ready for graduation. some guys had theirs to a perfect mirror shine only to put them on and have them shatter.

SASSGlock2
05-03-2008, 05:28
$5 sales in boot camp? OUr money/valuables bag was inventoried regularly at PI and it better not have been chagned from the last inventory.

There was a unique smell to boot camp. New cammies, sweat, mildew, CLP, all mixed together. Everynow and then I'll ahve a smell memory.