Garlic from China?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Garlic from China??

Romadoc
10-22-2007, 07:33
I see that the dehydrated garlic sold at my local Costco comes from China. It costs a fraction of what I'm currently paying Penzey's for California garlic. Given all the attention now being paid to practically anything from China, I'm wondering if anyone would buy their foodstuffs.

Cousin
10-22-2007, 08:35
A few months back, I bought fresh garlic heads from China - they were packed 3 to a netted bag. They were okay, tasted like any other garlic and looked to be better quality than the dried out carcasses I buy here in AZ.

Cali-Glock
10-22-2007, 14:21
I see that the dehydrated garlic sold at my local Costco comes from China. It costs a fraction of what I'm currently paying Penzey's for California garlic. Given all the attention now being paid to practically anything from China, I'm wondering if anyone would buy their foodstuffs.

Penzy's rocks, but I can't imagine buying fresh garlic from them. Whatever my local grocery store has fresh works fine by me!

Romadoc
10-22-2007, 15:43
I was referring to dehydrated garlic chips. I don't think Penzey's sell fresh produce.

Mild Bill
10-22-2007, 15:53
I like those netted 3-pk Chinese garlic things...
The cloves are uniformly sized and you don't get those tiny useless pieces in the middle...

84S
10-23-2007, 01:06
China exports a butt load of garlic.

noway
10-28-2007, 18:07
you want top-notch garlic, go to a Korean market their garlic is excellente ;)

General Sherman
11-15-2007, 09:56
But look at this Costa Rican on line newspaper today:

Border agents manage to sniff out bags of contraband garlic
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

Anti-drug police, customs agents and other law enforcement personnel have swooped down on garlic smugglers.

Believe it or not, the illegal activity at Costa Rica's southern border does not only include cocaine, heroin, marijuana, illegal immigrants, weapons and similar. There also is the steady importation of unapproved foodstuffs, including garlic and eggs, according to the Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganaderķa.

The ministry maintains the Servicios de Cuarentena Vegetal, or quarantine service at Paseo Canoas. Sunday the quarry was some 5,000 kilos (112,000 pounds) of bagged Chinese garlic.

Agricultural officials said that the garlic contains plant diseases that should not be allowed to come into the country. Chinese garlic had been rejected at the border the week before, but some merchants tried to smuggle in a

truckload, said the ministry. Border police also are on the lookout for contraband eggs from Panama, said the ministry.

R_W
11-15-2007, 10:19
True story, use your own judgement.

I had a business trip to China and went on a tour to see some old palaces and stuff. Went to the burial mound of some emporer that protected his tomb with tons of mercury. They had signs showing the ridiculously high levels of mercury in the ground around the site. As you walk up the site, they are growing and selling fruit right there. I lived on my stash of powerbars for the rest of that trip.

RWBlue
11-15-2007, 10:47
I don't think I would buy a root from China. Everything I know about how they grow food in China would make me hesitant.

That being said, they are a major exporter. I am sure that some large companies are using their Garlic. I am just not sure how they do quality control.

685cmj
11-15-2007, 11:41
Yah, I don't see any problems with eating anything that comes from China. Heck no...!

ateamer
11-15-2007, 13:24
If I want garlic, we can get it practically right from the field just 30 minutes away in Gilroy, "The Garlic Capital of the World". Drive past there on a warm day and you will get hungry, just smelling the garlic fields and the big Gilroy Foods packing plant.