Visiting Ohio...transport laws? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Ohio...transport laws?

Indy_Guy_77
10-22-2007, 11:43
I can't legally carry while there (Ohio doesn't recognize my Indiana CHP), but I'd like to bring a pistol or two for (what I hope to be) some impromptu plinking at a BBQ.

I PRESUME that, if I:

store pistols in a case in the trunk, and

store magazines and ammunition in the cabin of the car

I should be "legal" in Ohio, right?

-J-

elderboy02
10-22-2007, 14:39
Just to be on the safe side I put the guns in one case in the trunk and the ammo and mags in another case in the trunk.

Indy_Guy_77
10-23-2007, 14:44
Do the cases have to be locked? I've got the original hard plastic boxes for everything that I currently own...plus a plastic and foam clamshell that I can stick the mags and ammo. in.

Everything in their own containers...everything in the trunk. Girlfriend's brother is a LEO...I'd hate to break any laws! lol

-J-

firedog978
10-24-2007, 07:12
If there are no other reasons why you can't own or posses a firearm (HG), then all locked separetly, in locked containers, in the trunk should make you good to go.

Indy_Guy_77
10-24-2007, 09:18
Thanks, folks. I appreciate it.

-J-

elderboy02
10-24-2007, 10:16
Do the cases have to be locked? I've got the original hard plastic boxes for everything that I currently own...plus a plastic and foam clamshell that I can stick the mags and ammo. in.

Everything in their own containers...everything in the trunk. Girlfriend's brother is a LEO...I'd hate to break any laws! lol

-J-

There is no need to lock them. Just make sure they are closed.

Glock30man
10-24-2007, 17:06
without a ccw, the weapon must be unloaded (unloaded means that the ammo/mags are in a separate container from the firearm) and carried in one of the following ways
1) in a closed package, box or case (does not have to be locked)
2) in a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle (ie trunk)
3) in plain sight in a rack or holder made for that purpose
4) in plain sight with the action open or handgun stripped. If the firearm's action won't stay open or cannot be easily stripped, you may transport it in plain sight. (while this is legal, I wouldn't recommend it)