Beans & Cornbread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beans & Cornbread

Cali-Glock
10-22-2007, 14:44
Beans and cornbread.

Last night my wife made some quick beans.

Beans: Cut up some country cured ham and fried it up in the bottom of a pot and then added a couple cans of pinquito beans.

Cornbread: My wife followed the Hillbilly Housewife’s recipe for her “best cornbread” (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/mybestcornbread.htm) (using butter instead of margarine and using buttermilk powder).

The beans were WONDERFUL.

The cornbread was perhaps the best cornbread I have ever had.

I ate leftover beans and cornbread for lunch!

My Best Cornbread From the Hillbilly Housewife (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index.html)

1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
* 1-1/2 cups buttermilk (powdered buttermilk is fine, or even yogurt or sour milk would work)
* 2 medium eggs
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1 cup flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda

You really need an iron skillet to make this, but if you just don't have one, a nine inch square or round cake pan will do. Get your large iron skillet, or 9" pan and put the margarine in it. Put the pan into the oven at 400° allowing the margarine to melt, and the pan to heat.

In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, eggs, sugar and salt. Use a whisk to mix it up really well. Pour in the melted margarine, leaving about a tablespoon of it left in the hot pan. Be careful pouring so you don't get burned. Beat everything up again. Finally add the cornmeal, flour and baking soda. Whisk again until the batter is mostly smooth. Turn the batter into the hot skillet or pan, on top of the little bit of margarine you saved in it. Carefully put the skillet back into the oven. Bake the cornbread at 400° for about 25 minutes. It will be golden brown and the edges will pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool a little while before slicing into 8 or 12 wedges.

The iron skillet gives this cornbread the traditional crispy hillbilly crust. Another pan will still cook it, but it will not be quite the same. The buttermilk and sugar make the cornbread very tender and sweet. A perfect accompaniment for spicy dishes like Chili and stew. This is the best cornbread I have ever eaten, there is another recipe though, of a heartier and coarser nature, which is a little easier to make, Plain Cornbread.

Source (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/mybestcornbread.htm)

tavo
11-01-2007, 05:07

mitchshrader
11-01-2007, 05:11
there's folks who put sugar in cornbread, and folks who is in danger of eternal hellfire.

i am not making any comparisons, jes sayin'.. some denominations ain't so forgiving as others..

SouthernGal
11-01-2007, 08:05
Mitch ~

It's an argument as old as any I know.

Where I'm from, only Yankees put sugar in their cornbread. ((:YACK:)) I saw an episode of Emeril Live once where he pretty much reiterated that...and he added some nice jalapenos in his to kick it up too :)

Putting sugar in there bastardizes IMHO.

kirgi08
11-01-2007, 08:27
Cali-Save me some.I had cornbread and beans 3 nights ago,I do love the simple food/recipes.I ate WAY to much.There's nothin like "Moms" cookin.Now I'm gonna make me some Corned Beef@Cabbage,Sorry SouthernGal,I think that all good Recipes should be Enjoyed.Yankee by birth-SOUTHERN BY CHOICE.Respects All '08.

mitchshrader
11-01-2007, 08:35
sugar in coleslaw, cornbread, or whiskey mash, is an abomination unto the lord and anathaema unto the congregation, no matter if you're a foot warshin' baptist or jes ol' brush arbor suthron baptists.

i am SURE in the unbounded mercy of the lord folks gets a last chance to repent, likely some of em has lived good lives, otherwise. :)

kirgi08
11-01-2007, 09:09
Show Off,You were justa waitin,weren't YA.I enjoy both Southeren/Northeren Food.As I said before.Good FOOD is Good FOOD.'08.

SouthernGal
11-01-2007, 09:30
Cali-Save me some.I had cornbread and beans 3 nights ago,I do love the simple food/recipes.I ate WAY to much.There's nothin like "Moms" cookin.Now I'm gonna make me some Corned Beef@Cabbage,Sorry SouthernGal,I think that all good Recipes should be Enjoyed.Yankee by birth-SOUTHERN BY CHOICE.Respects All '08.

I cannot for the life of me imagine cornbread dressing with sage, onions, peppers and poultry seasoning in it made with a cornbread base that included sugar. Sage + sugar just doesn't sound all that appetizing.

It's okay Kirgi...we know you're a Yankee even if you try to blend in down here ;)

The Pontificator
11-02-2007, 07:14
You'd get sick of beans and cornbread if you ate it three times a day for a year.

jawjaboy
11-02-2007, 15:41
I ate leftover beans and cornbread for lunch!

And gassed(dusted) half a SC in one day! ;)

Blitzer
11-02-2007, 16:31
Like I said in another post, Life is a gas! ;)

Blitzer
11-02-2007, 16:33
You'd get sick of beans and cornbread if you ate it three times a day for a year.

My parents were depression era babies! They did eat it for 2 squares 7 days a week and for a lot longer than a year, just different kinds of beans and a little more meat on Sundays.