Not sure if I passed NREMT exam [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I passed NREMT exam

MissAmericanPie
10-22-2007, 20:06
:(

I studied many hours per day for two weeks. I read the Brady EMS book cover to cover taking notes as I went. I made pretty flash cards to study vitals, oxygen admin., AED sequence, and treatments for shock, trauma, cardiac arrest, fractures, spinal injuries, etc. I reviewed my notes regularly. I obsessed over patient assessment. I focused on signs/symptoms and interventions for such.

However, putting it all together in a scenario and finding the BEST answer out of sometimes two technically correct answers is another story. Uggh.

I came away from this exam without any confidence. A lot of the subject matter on which I focused in my study materials was barely represented in the exam. It focused heavily on pediatrics, POC (I had about 6 or 7 questions on this), geriatrics, anaphylaxis and other allergies, and pregnancy. And because it is adaptive, it stops when you have either accumulated enough points to pass or it stops when you have not accumulated enough points to make passing a possibility even if you completed the entire exam.

I only made it to 75 questions ( anywhere between 60 and 120 are possible, I believe). And, of course I have to wait two days to get my results.

I guess I may need to fine tune my critical thinking skills, if I need to retake it. Any suggestions?

FlaFF
10-23-2007, 11:15
Dont overthink things. Airway, airway, airway.

FlaFF

MissAmericanPie
10-23-2007, 12:13
I passed!!!!! :)

I did think airway. In fact I could tell that the test was trying to throw me away from the airway on several questions to see if I would focus on the ABCs. And my instructor drilled it into us to not read into the questions any further than the information that was provided.

Anyway, this thread is all for naught. Woo-hoo!

Tvov
10-24-2007, 05:06
This thread is NOT for naught! Whooho! You passed!

:dancingbanana::smootchie:

(hmm, smilies not working? maybe just my computer)

MissAmericanPie
10-24-2007, 23:20
Thanks, guys.:)

jmatteau
10-27-2007, 17:43
Good job! I took my NREMT in 2000 and I walked out of there KNOWING I failed it. Back then it took forever to get the results and when I finally got them two and half months later, I passed with an 83. It is a tough test and they try to screw you up constantly.

Congrats.

freshmeat
10-27-2007, 21:50
Very hard test! So again, CONGRATS!!!

MissAmericanPie
10-28-2007, 00:10
Thanks again, everyone!

I wish I knew what I received for a score. It is simply "pass" or "fail" now.

But I will be quite content with my "pass".:)

I am now so nervous that my next call is going to be a cardiac or some other code without ever having the luxury of assisting the experienced EMTs on my squad first. When you are experienced, high-stress situations can run smoothly since you have practical training and experience to revert to, however, when you are a newbie, there is nothing to fall back on except for the limited practical classroom experience and the text materials.

Let's hope it builds gradually. I dread getting thrown into the mud.

But I learned how to back up the ambulance today!! I did well.:)

Take care guys, and thanks for the congrats.

MissAmericanPie
10-28-2007, 00:14
Good job! I took my NREMT in 2000 and I walked out of there KNOWING I failed it. Back then it took forever to get the results and when I finally got them two and half months later, I passed with an 83. It is a tough test and they try to screw you up constantly.

Congrats.

Wow, is that PAINFUL!! I would be a miserable stress-case. The system has seen marked improvements, I guess.

I'm glad it is a tough test, since you want to be very prepared for a job where failure could mean that someone dies that didn't have to. But as you mentioned, it is so difficult to gauge whether or not you passed or failed.

RLDS45S
10-28-2007, 14:31
Practice Perfection Ensures Game Day Performance from Don Shula One thing that I hope you did was practice skill sets to the point of nausea. I know I went for 2 yrs in a busy ALS service of not having to do an EJ stick. Lucky I guess, but my ability came from having verbalized and pictured the skill many times. Just like the first surgical cric I did (done on dog in lab), but again my comfort came in being able to visualize.......

You can not worry yourself to death! It will eat you alive!

Hunca Munca
10-28-2007, 20:17
Congrats on passing!

1. Don't be the one that crashes the ambulance
2. Learn where the equipment is so you don't have to think about where stuff is when SHTF
3. Try not to be a "whacker"
4. Remember that you are not just there to carry stuff for the paramedics
5. You will get a call as soon as you order food

obxprnstar
10-28-2007, 23:03
I just wanted to get in on this late, and say congrats

DJTHEMAC
11-12-2007, 15:51
I think the brady book and the NREMT are two totally different animals. Its like studying french in order to prepare for a spanish test.

Glad you passed!