High blood pressure when you're enlisting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure when you're enlisting?

SIGSAREBETTER
10-27-2007, 04:01
When I went to MEPS on the 17th/18th they said my bp was elevated and put me on the hypertension protocol, that is getting 3 consecutive days of readings from my doc and a letter saying I don't have high blood pressure and I've never been on a special diet or pills. I got that done today, and my readings were ok and mostly all below the 140/90 cutoff. The highest was 139/92, and the average of the three was 132/88. I also included readings from routine doc appts that show more toward 130/76, hopefully all goes well. I never thought the bp would be an issue, but now I'm all jacked up with stress taking them so that is not helping, and I'm freakin' out as I wait to hear back next week.

Any similar stories or advice? The branch I'm working with is Army Reserve.

bluelineman
11-24-2007, 19:39
So, I take it things went OK? Did you have to go on meds or anything?

BigDaddyK
11-26-2007, 22:23
I've had high blood pressure for awhile now. Finally got it checked out. I don't think it's a big deal. They just do some tests to make sure your heart and organs are good. They put me on a bp pill changed my diet a little and I'm fine.

You shouldn't have to worry any.

edit I'm active duty Marine Corps.

Bren
12-03-2007, 15:06
When I went to MEPS on the 17th/18th they said my bp was elevated and put me on the hypertension protocol, that is getting 3 consecutive days of readings from my doc and a letter saying I don't have high blood pressure and I've never been on a special diet or pills. I got that done today, and my readings were ok and mostly all below the 140/90 cutoff. The highest was 139/92, and the average of the three was 132/88. I also included readings from routine doc appts that show more toward 130/76, hopefully all goes well. I never thought the bp would be an issue, but now I'm all jacked up with stress taking them so that is not helping, and I'm freakin' out as I wait to hear back next week.

Any similar stories or advice? The branch I'm working with is Army Reserve.

I had to have medical waivers for the Army reserve on my over-40 blood tests. Not a problem, especially these days.

SIGSAREBETTER
12-09-2007, 23:33
So, I take it things went OK? Did you have to go on meds or anything?

No, no meds or anything. For the first time in my life it seems I've developed white coat syndrome. Once I calmed down my civvie doctors recorded my normal bp readings I'd always gotten, and wrote a letter to that effect. Then it was as agonizing wait, but I'm all good now. I ship for Fort Sill on Jan 9 followed by AIT at Fort Bliss, for 88m.

ks farmboy
12-12-2007, 00:44
every time i go to the dr, my blood pressure is high. they shrug and say dont worry about it. i made a special appt one time for just that, and they said that i was high but nothing serious. i was then 23 yoa, and high blood pressure is nothing to worry about? i left it at that and am waiting to get out to see what they are going to do for me.