Possibly getting fired this week [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possibly getting fired this week

Peak_Oil
10-29-2007, 17:34
I came down with a fever out of nowhere yesterday at work. I crashed on the couch for a little while and then a run came up. Elderly woman, con home, ankle pain.

I get there and was feeling disoriented and did a shirt job of assessing the pt. Systolic BP was a little high. I knew I was doing a bad job of assessment and knew that there was a good chance of missing something, so I called dispatch to wave off the call. I work BLS as an EMT doing mainly IFTs. The con homes around here routinely lie to dispatch about the pts condition and want us to take strokes, broken hips, all kinds of stuff that the fire department should really take.

Dispatch told me to take the call anyway. Fine, I'll take it. Unbeknownst to me, my partner called dispatch and told them I was sick and that's part of why we're waving off.

I drove, which again I think was a mistake. I was definitely not thinking clearly. Nothing happened, the run went as scheduled, and we 10-19'd after the call.

We get back and I get written up. My super made a point of asking me repeatedly if I wanted to add anything to my written statement. Nope. We sat down to talk for a while and I got argumentative with him. He's a former armed services guy and he was all, Hey, what if there was nobody to help you and you had to take the call. Well, we're not in the service and neither was this elderly woman. And there's TONS of help here.

I couldn't shut my mouth, and after a while I told him I don't even know why I'm arguing with you. This is stupid. I need to go home and hit the sack. I went home and fell asleep for 18 hours and still have a fever...

Nevertheless, this is probably curtains for me. They're firing people before the Christmas bonus comes out.

cgnelson
10-29-2007, 19:59
I know that if there is ever a time when I feel sick or even have not rested enough before a shift, I can call my supervisor and they will call a part timer to fill my shift. We have a good system and they give you all the time you need to take off if you are sick. They actually encourage it, when you are sick. I did come to work a few times a little under the weather only to have my partner call my supervisor and before I knew it there was a replacement there to relieve me.

pulaskipusher
10-30-2007, 12:24
Man that sucks. I really hope they don't fire you. I'd expect to see repricussion but I'm not sure about getting rid of you.
Talk to your Sup and be candid. You were sick and realize you should have called in sick.

hotpig
10-31-2007, 01:38
You are BLS why would you sweat not assessing this patient. Ankle pain with a slightly elevated Systolic is not life threatening.

If they are breathing at the scene and still breathing when you dump them in the ER everything went ok.

If the boss sent you home sick you should be ok. Laws change from state to state.If you self terminated by leaving during your shift you may have a problem.

Rinconjoe
10-31-2007, 08:26
remember every boss has a boss sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, I would think you wouldnt get fired over this but I am not there!!

Peak_Oil
11-14-2007, 22:51
Turns out I didn't get fired. I should have. Turns out she had a broken hip. According to my scope of practice here in LA county, that was an ALS call. Not good.

Oh well.

BroBrandonB
11-16-2007, 13:50
Turns out I didn't get fired. I should have. Turns out she had a broken hip. According to my scope of practice here in LA county, that was an ALS call. Not good.

Oh well.

glad you didn't get fired... and don't get too bummed about the patient. This things happen. Sounds like a crappy situation all around, next time you know to call out sick.

Keep yer chin up.

DepChief
11-21-2007, 18:40
I know that if there is ever a time when I feel sick or even have not rested enough before a shift, I can call my supervisor and they will call a part timer to fill my shift. We have a good system and they give you all the time you need to take off if you are sick. They actually encourage it, when you are sick. I did come to work a few times a little under the weather only to have my partner call my supervisor and before I knew it there was a replacement there to relieve me.

Are you hiring???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Thaibeard
12-20-2007, 06:59
I wouldn't worry about it as worry on contributes to stress and doesn't solve anything.

I've been in situation like that before. Look at as a new opporutinty too work at a better place.

DScottHewitt
12-22-2007, 19:00
I came down with a fever out of nowhere yesterday at work. I crashed on the couch for a little while and then a run came up. Elderly woman, con home, ankle pain.

I get there and was feeling disoriented and did a shirt job of assessing the pt. Systolic BP was a little high. I knew I was doing a bad job of assessment and knew that there was a good chance of missing something, so I called dispatch to wave off the call. I work BLS as an EMT doing mainly IFTs. The con homes around here routinely lie to dispatch about the pts condition and want us to take strokes, broken hips, all kinds of stuff that the fire department should really take.

Dispatch told me to take the call anyway. Fine, I'll take it. Unbeknownst to me, my partner called dispatch and told them I was sick and that's part of why we're waving off.

I drove, which again I think was a mistake. I was definitely not thinking clearly. Nothing happened, the run went as scheduled, and we 10-19'd after the call.

We get back and I get written up. My super made a point of asking me repeatedly if I wanted to add anything to my written statement. Nope. We sat down to talk for a while and I got argumentative with him. He's a former armed services guy and he was all, Hey, what if there was nobody to help you and you had to take the call. Well, we're not in the service and neither was this elderly woman. And there's TONS of help here.

I couldn't shut my mouth, and after a while I told him I don't even know why I'm arguing with you. This is stupid. I need to go home and hit the sack. I went home and fell asleep for 18 hours and still have a fever...

Nevertheless, this is probably curtains for me. They're firing people before the Christmas bonus comes out.

1) ALWAYS explain your side on the write-up before you sign it

2) Arguing with your boss just opens the insubordination door

3) Might not be the Christmas bonus issue that gets you fired, and I only heard YOUR side.....

Scott

DScottHewitt
12-22-2007, 19:01
Man that sucks. I really hope they don't fire you. I'd expect to see repricussion but I'm not sure about getting rid of you.
Talk to your Sup and be candid. You were sick and realize you should have called in sick.

We might disagree on this. If the OP gets fired, more likely to be the sequelae rather than the being sick that does it.....

Scott

Dean
12-23-2007, 04:09
You're BLS why would you sweat not (throughly) assessing this patient? Ankle pain with a slightly elevated Systolic is not life threatening.

+1
What did you do wrong? You took her, didn't you? You tried to get relieved from a call you were already on? Stay OFF the radio. Don't you know that?
Still, why would you get fired? What you did is stupid, but not "fired" stupid.

DScottHewitt
12-27-2007, 12:09
You are BLS why would you sweat not assessing this patient. Ankle pain with a slightly elevated Systolic is not life threatening.

If they are breathing at the scene and still breathing when you dump them in the ER everything went ok.

If the boss sent you home sick you should be ok. Laws change from state to state.If you self terminated by leaving during your shift you may have a problem.

Uh, Patient Assessment IS a component of EMT-B class AND a REQUIRED CE component in Virginia.....

Scott

DScottHewitt
12-27-2007, 12:11
You're BLS why would you sweat not (throughly) assessing this patient? Ankle pain with a slightly elevated Systolic is not life threatening.

+1
What did you do wrong? You took her, didn't you? You tried to get relieved from a call you were already on? Stay OFF the radio. Don't you know that?
Still, why would you get fired? What you did is stupid, but not "fired" stupid.

Arguing with a supervisor IS insubordination, And not really able to be defended in court.....

Scott

medic1213
01-05-2008, 16:06
Why do you think you should have been fired? Because the lady had a broken hip? Hell, I've been a paramedic for over 10 years, and there have been broken hips I didn't even catch. Not all broken hips show severe pain, lateral or medial rotation or leg shortening. I don't see any reason why you should be fired, but if that's the way your service treats it's employees, I would definitely look for a job elsewhere before they do find a reason to fire you. If you're sick. Just go home sick. No different than calling in sick before a shift.