Anyone make your own bleu cheese dressing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make your own bleu cheese dressing?

Neal
11-03-2007, 16:44
Went to the store looking for some bleu cheese dressing and almost all of them have either MSG, high fructose corn syrup, or propylene glycol (that's in automotive anti-freeze, right?). I don't want to consume any of those ingredients. Finally found some organic bleu cheese without any of those, but it cost #3.99 for 12 ounces. Very expensive. Just tried it with some celery and it's so so, but not near as good as the bleu cheese dressing from the local Pizza joint. I have not started looking for recipes yet, but I would like to know if any of you have ever made your own.

mitchshrader
11-03-2007, 17:03
yes. yogurt & buttermilk, blue cheese & garlic & green onions & fresh crushed peppercorns. that's all folks.

a food processor, crumble the blue cheese and fine chop a couple green onions and a garlic clove or three, tablespoon or two of yoghurt and a splash of buttermilk. adjust each to taste. no problemo.

it won't KEEP long, that's the whole downside. 3 days to a week maybe, if you keep it chilled and don't mind mixing it up if it separates. takes less blue cheese than you might think and Blue Cheese is salty, be careful. it'll taste cheesier after a day sitting.

you might toss in a squirt of lemon juice if you've a fresh lemon around and you want it a bit more tangy. ditto a dash tabasco or a sprinkle of red chile pepper (ground).. NOT CHILE POWDER.

Neal
11-03-2007, 19:04
yes. yogurt & buttermilk, blue cheese & garlic & green onions & fresh crushed peppercorns. that's all folks.

a food processor, crumble the blue cheese and fine chop a couple green onions and a garlic clove or three, tablespoon or two of yoghurt and a splash of buttermilk. adjust each to taste. no problemo.

it won't KEEP long, that's the whole downside. 3 days to a week maybe, if you keep it chilled and don't mind mixing it up if it separates. takes less blue cheese than you might think and Blue Cheese is salty, be careful. it'll taste cheesier after a day sitting.

you might toss in a squirt of lemon juice if you've a fresh lemon around and you want it a bit more tangy. ditto a dash tabasco or a sprinkle of red chile pepper (ground).. NOT CHILE POWDER.

Thanks much. I printed this out and I'll try it. However, what kind of yogurt do you recommend?

lethal tupperwa
11-04-2007, 06:22
Blue cheese dressing

2 eggs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
cup chopped onions
cup chopped celery
teaspoon salt
teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups vegetable oil
cup crumbled blue cheese

Put all but the oil and cheese in food processor
Whiz for 20 seconds to mix
now start drizzling the oil in while the machine is running
let run for another minute
pour into a bowl and add the blue cheese and mix well.

If you worry about the eggs (Alton says to buy the ones that have been pasteurized)