Carying while backpacking [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carying while backpacking

BizkitShooter
11-04-2007, 17:43
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about heading our to do a 3 day 2 night backpacking trek with my 13yo son at Linville Gorge Thanksgiving weekend. I have a CCW permit and I don't think I can CCW in the forrest, but can I open carry a hand gun?

It also occurred to me that it will be prime hunting season so it might not be the best idea to go at all but I would really like to go hiking instead of Christmas shopping. If we do go, we will be wearing lots of orange. Is there a lot of hunting deep in the gorge along the trails or is it more up on the ridge where it's more accessible by car?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wallygator
11-12-2007, 19:26
I don't know about the hunting thing but if I was you, I would pack a gun if going on a hiking trip. Your right I don't think we are allowed to carry in the forest but better safe than sorry in that situation. I've never had any problems but I've come accross some real weirdos out there so you never know. The bad part is you are out in the middle of nowhere and in bear country also.

Before you go call the ranger station in that area and tell them where you are going and for how long. Leave them your name, where you are parked, and who to contact in case of emergency. You could always call to ask about firearms in the forest but I would do that with a different phone call. Like I said no matter what I'm packing a gun in that situation law or no law, because the law won't be there with me if something happens.