How Long For Training? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How Long For Training?

Sundown
11-05-2007, 20:40
Ok, I know this sounds like a completely noob question, but I'll rely on my posting history to bail me out from that type of stereotyping.

Here goes:

If one were to enlist into the US Army (either Active Duty or NG) and was absolutely tops in Basic and every other school/training/class they attended, what would the minimum amount of time they spent prior to earning their Airborne and SF patches and associated headgear?

Also, how would one sign on to go SF? Is it a direct enlistment option or something one stumbles into after signing up for and completing Ranger school?

Basically I am interested in joining the NG here in Washington State (Ft. Lewis) and am very interested in the SF thing. Any factual information that you can provide will be very helpful.

And yes, I most certainly intend on contacting a recruiter in the near future. I just want to do my homework ahead of time and know as much about what to expect in the process as possible.

Also, I am not concerned about the whole "drive" and "desire" aspect of a good recruit. I understand completely what the physical, mental and emotional requirements are.

Thanks for the info!

fxdwngflyr
11-05-2007, 22:47
In your post you are asking too many hypothetical questions. The variables are limitless.

Let me just say this. You can enlist for the SF options right off of the street. If you go guard you need to understand that there may not be a reserve/guard SF team near you. I am not going to do the research for you.

This statement worries me:

"Also, I am not concerned about the whole "drive" and "desire" aspect of a good recruit. I understand completely what the physical, mental and emotional requirements are."

Being in SOF for 11 years I can guarantee that you do NOT know what the requirements are. You may meet the physical but most of the drops are mental/emotional.

Also, I think, based on my knowledge of the assessment and selections process you should worry about your attitude already. Your avitar says alot about you. I believe you will be peered out or be determined a security risk due to your braggard attitude.

You can do it. Right out of high school. See your recruiter and dont accept anything less than what you want.

Best of luck,

Sundown
11-06-2007, 06:35
I appreciate the quick response, thanks.

My statement about not being concerned about the "drive" aspect of things was meant primarily as a request to not be lectured by online wannabes. I have done some looking around online and have found that a lot of people ask questions and are promptly lectured and berated by others in the online community, my request was a hedge against that.

My avatar was meant as a joke between me and a few of my friends who also work in law enforcement. It's not any type of bragging about anything, just an inside joke.

As I stated in my OP, I am just looking for the steps in going SF. Is it possible to get an 18X contract with no prior military experience? Or only possible for folks who are re-enlisting?

Washington State is home to Fort Lewis, where (I believe) a section of the 19th SF Group is stationed at. I do believe that this is a NG outfit, am I wrong?

Thanks for the info!

BTW, I'll change my avatar, it was never meant to be a serious thing anyway.

deadday
11-06-2007, 09:54
18X contracts are ONLY offered to those with no prior military experience. Cycle goes (if I understand correctly):

-11B OSUT (18weeks)
-BAC (3 weeks)
-SOPC (no idea on the time for this one)
-SFAS (currently 25 days, though the rumors flying have it being cut to 14)
-Then you've got at least 2 years doing your SF training, depending on MOS

19th and 20th Groups are the 2 NGSF units.

drew

md2lgyk
11-06-2007, 09:56
Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM THE WA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD! Before I switched to the Air Guard, I spent a couple of years in the maintenance unit in Yakima. Billeting was horrible, food was worse, and in those two years I never once worked in my MOS.

It's a published fact that something like 96% of those who join the WARNG don't complete their first enlistment. There's a reason for that.

deadday
11-06-2007, 09:59
Most in the Army don't actually works in their MOS the majority of the time, billeting sucks everywhere, and food, I'll skip the DFAC and go find an MRE or some candy bars...

drew

Sundown
11-06-2007, 18:53
Ok guys, thanks for the info. I'm gonna do some more research and get a hold of a recruiter. I appreciate it!

Hooah
11-18-2007, 02:26
18X the best recruiting gimmick for 11B.
Just think about that for a second.

Gregoyle
11-20-2007, 13:59
Sundown-

deadday's post is pretty close to the time you're looking at. I think the SOPC program right now is something like 2 months. It's changed fairly recently so I'm not 100%

If you're looking to shave time off the course, learn a language well enough to test at a 1/1 on the DLPT. If you can test out of a language you can shave up to 6 months off your time.

2 years for the course is a little high nowadays for non-18Ds, they've streamlined it a little more so there's less wait between phases. Maybe more like 18-22 months total.

National Guard is actually a good way to go; you can always go active later.

but.......

fxdwngflyr is right on.

You have to have a little bit of a love for pain to get through the course in one piece and not hate your life. Not just the normal types of things you'd think of PT/rucking/patrolling -wise, but even institutionally. You get jerked around a lot.

One mantra to keep in the back of your head that will help you get through it... "group is NOT like this, group is NOT like this"

PM me if you have any specific questions.

edited to add: Yes, you can come in right off the street, but understand that the washout rates are VERY high, and a lot of guys end up in the 82nd. This is linked to the things I said above and the things fxdwngflyr said.

-Greg

xxiv
11-21-2007, 18:38
Also, I am not concerned about the whole "drive" and "desire" aspect of a good recruit. I understand completely what the physical, mental and emotional requirements are.

Thanks for the info!

Oh you do, do you.

Good luck.

vxhybrid
11-26-2007, 19:52
if you wish to come off the street for 18x you must currently be 21 years of age, we were enlisting 18yr olds last summer but too many were dropping out so the age requirement was moved back up to 21.

i know this cause i am an army recruiter.... no i did not choose this so dont hate...

if you have any enlistment questions i can answer them

Hal9mm
12-06-2007, 08:51
18X the best recruiting gimmick for 11B.
Just think about that for a second.

yeah no ****, although some guys make it especially with sopc