Gun Ownership II [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Ownership II

hannibalk
11-06-2007, 12:22
Hello there again!!!

I talked to a recruiter via internet and he did not gave me a real answer concerning gun ownership with in the military. He told me to talk to a recruiter personally and you now what, most of them don't know. I know I can't take my gun to BMT and tech school, thats obvious and reasonable, but what happens when I get my house with my wife on station???? I'm 23, and a College Gradute. Can I keep it? Can I shoot at the range??? Constitutional Privilege right??? Please give me good and self explanatory info about this subject not "talk to your recruiter" blahh!!!!! Come on, be profesional about it.

Thank you!!!

deadday
11-06-2007, 17:23
Well, since noone has bitten, I'll try to help. In the Army (though I'd venture to guess it is DoD wide) you can own and keep your firearms in off-post quarters and on-post family housing. If you are living in the barracks then you must keep your firearms in the unit arms room. Mosts posts also require you to register your firearms giving basic weapon info and serial number.

drew

najaboy
11-06-2007, 21:01
Hello there again!!!

I talked to a recruiter via internet and he did not gave me a real answer concerning gun ownership with in the military. He told me to talk to a recruiter personally and you now what, most of them don't know. I know I can't take my gun to BMT and tech school, thats obvious and reasonable, but what happens when I get my house with my wife on station???? I'm 23, and a College Gradute. Can I keep it? Can I shoot at the range??? Constitutional Privilege right??? Please give me good and self explanatory info about this subject not "talk to your recruiter" blahh!!!!! Come on, be profesional about it.

Thank you!!!
When you get your house on station- "if" needs to be included in there somewhere as well. Most bases have a waiting list for base housing. Due to the initiative to privatize base housing, some bases have placed a freeze on their waiting lists. The odds are pretty good that you'll be renting a house or apartment in the local community.

When you get to your duty station, the local operating instructions are what's going to guide what you can and cannot do. You'll be okay with a legally owned firearm in your private residence off base. If you're living in base housing, you'll generally be okay as far as the Air Force is concerned. However, you'd also need to abide by whatever restrictions the contractor places on housing at that base. As of right now, I don't know of any contractors that restrict firearms possession by housing residents.

As for shooting at the range, it depends on the base. First and foremost, the range is there for CATM. Most bases will have a set schedule regarding when you may come shoot your privately owned firearm. In short, you're just going to have to wait to find out the answer to this when you get to your first duty station.

Finally, it bears mentioning, since you brought up Constitutional rights, that, as a military member, you do not have the same rights and privileges as a civilian. In some regards, your rights will be abrogated; while in others, you will gain certain privileges.

MrMurphy
11-07-2007, 00:50
Mostly what they said. If you are based overseas it depends on the country, if you go to Germany, the more the merrier, Italy, hell no, Korea, HELL NO, etc.

On base married and off base housing you will be fine, on base, most of the time as long as they are secured and unloaded, they are cool. Have a plan on somewhere "else" to secure the weapons (family or friends in a non-communistic CONUS state, etc).

Since I am assigned to Italy, a Hell No location my guns are with my parents in Texas.

meeko
11-09-2007, 08:32
I back up what Mr Murphy said. The Air force didn't press the gun ownership issue that much. I lived in base housing at two different bases. As a Security Forces guy most of my co workers on base or off had at least one handgun at home and shot regularly. It also depends on the base. You will have to register them with base law enforcement desk. Thats the biggest issue but again that could be different base by base. i visited my daughter at baksdale AFB LA and the BX had a sporting goods section that sold handguns and rifles. like M1a, FN heavy barreled sniper rifles, the new SIG rifles AR 15's. So as long as your stateside (except CA,NJ, IL etc) I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the recruiters not knowing the gun answer thats normal. My advice is get the phone number to what bases you want to try to go to and call the Law Enforcement desk and just ask. They should be able to tell you what that bases rules are. good luck

AF-Odin
11-09-2007, 18:42
One of the biggest issues will be the STATE laws where you may be stationed. Texas, Louisiana, Alabama---not a problem. California, New York, New Jersey---Lord help you. I purchased and possessed a number of guns when I was stationed in California in the 70s that would get me in a lot of trouble in that state today (frequently had an AR-15 in the trunk). When you get near the end of training and have an assignment, contact the State Police where you will be stationed and get the information on the state laws from them---sorry, but do not trust the word of mouth or the rulings by the barracks lawyers who may or may not have even been stationed in that state. Then, contact the Security Forces at the base for a COPY of the Base Regs/Instructions regarding privately owned weapons. Good luck.
Odin

bluelineman
11-10-2007, 10:08
As a side note, I would not advise storing your guns at the armory on base. If you need to store them temporarily, leave them with a trusted friend or relative until you can keep them in your (on or off base) house.

deadday
11-10-2007, 10:28
Well, if you don't plan on using your weapons, then the armory is ok, but if you shoot regularly, your armorer will hate you, and become harder and harder to track down (unless of course YOU are the unit armorer, that worked out well)....

drew

DJ Niner
11-10-2007, 23:00
I've heard of AF Bases where they limited the dates/times you could "sign-out" your privately owned weapons which were being stored in the armory. Example: No sign-outs within 1 hour of a shift change (that's one hour before AND after; busy time for the armorers). No sign-outs during exercises (even if they didn't affect you). I've even heard of armories where you had to make an appointment to draw out your guns (usually at the smaller bases/posts where the armory may not be manned 24/7).

The rules are hard to quantify because they can vary so much from place to place. Best to wait until you arrive; find out where you'll be living; get the local rules/regs/poop from the armory, your unit, and maybe a few other local gun owners/shooters; and THEN make a decision as to how/when/or even IF you should bring your guns to your new duty station.

MrMurphy
11-11-2007, 03:47
I've been lucky in my armorers, but I sure as hell wouldn't be storing my personal weapons in the armory unless they were double locked in a very good case or ammo can. The urge to "play" with unusual weaponry is apparently irresistible to young airmen who normally only get M4s and M9s, etc...

DJ Niner
11-11-2007, 20:12
I've been lucky in my armorers, but I sure as hell wouldn't be storing my personal weapons in the armory unless they were double locked in a very good case or ammo can. The urge to "play" with unusual weaponry is apparently irresistible to young airmen who normally only get M4s and M9s, etc...Very true, but in my experience space limitations also prevent leaving the guns in cases, other than possibly a snug-fitting soft case.

And those, as we know, usually cause rust problems in long-term storage.

ks farmboy
11-14-2007, 09:59
i didnt read all of the responses above, so if i repeat some of them, sorry.
if you live on base, you have to register your gun with security forces. when you go through the gate, it must be in the back of your vehicle, and unloaded in a case. you can keep it at your house, but it must be locked and the ammo stored in a different room. (thats the rule, but they will not come into your house and do a "spot check") if you live off base, its nothing different than a civilian. i lived on base for 2 years and didnt register anything and had no issues. i dont think its everyones right to know what guns i own and where i live. there is too many shady people out there that will have knowledge to that info. hope this helps.

JoeM
11-15-2007, 02:33
Here at Nellis on base you aren't allowed to keep guns in your house on base at all, they have to be stored at the armory in full working order.

Most guys I know keep it at their house anyways, but if get caught you are in deep ****.

Skycop1
11-22-2007, 05:31
The Air Force is great way of life and many of us keep and enjoy personal firearms. I am an Air Force investigator and have a pretty good working knowledge of this topic. Much of the info you have received is spot on. Once you complete your initial training and are assigned to your first base you may possess a civilian firearm. If you reside in the dorms then you must keep the weapon in the base armory. If you reside off base then you may keep the weapon at your residence just like civilians (depending on local laws). If you are residing in base housing you then it is up the base commander if you can keep the weapon at your residence or if you must store it in the armory. In my experience the vast majority of AF commanders allow base housing residence member to maintain firearms. In fact I am not personally aware of any who do not (but I have heard of some on rare occasions). Fire arms must be registered with the base law enforcement desk. This is so the responding law enforcement officers know who has weapons when they respond to a call. This is faulty logic as we always assume there is a weapon present (officer safety) but that is above my pay grade. The issue of CCW is another concern. Even if you posses a valid state CCW it is not recognized on a military instillation. The weapon must always be transported unloaded and locked (ammo separate). It can not be stored in your vehicle. Be sure and check each states laws prior to moving and also contact each base for specifics as well. When in doubt ask for specific regulations. Hope this helped.

bluelineman
11-22-2007, 10:49
The issue of CCW is another concern. Even if you posses a valid state CCW it is not recognized on a military instillation. The weapon must always be transported unloaded and locked (ammo separate). It can not be stored in your vehicle. Be sure and check each states laws prior to moving and also contact each base for specifics as well. When in doubt ask for specific regulations. Hope this helped.

Some bases commanders do not allow active duty members to CCW off base even with a permit. I saw something (may be outdated as of now) of the base commander at Ft Richardson Alaska not allowing licensed CCW, even off base. This is probably rare, but best to check local rules like you suggested.

When I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, it was before CCW. Although, many people open carry, especially in the woods. Pretty common there.

Found it. It's at the far botton of the page below.
The Alaska state law that permits the carrying of handguns “concealed” by private citizens is NOT valid on any U.S. Army or other DoD installations or properties. Current commanding general policy is no Soldiers assigned to USARAK will carry concealed weapons off post in public places.
http://www.usarak.army.mil/main/ArmyInAk/checkingin.htm

RF7126
11-22-2007, 23:05
As a soon to be college graduate who is considering enlisting, I just wanted to say thanks for the responses guys. It's a question that's been weighing heavily on my mind.

Skycop1
11-23-2007, 00:17
Yes,

Commanders can apply constriction in the name of safety (or what they believe to be safety). The Alaska deal was for soldiers only (Army) and did not apply to Airman (Air Force). Airman still cannot CCW on a base as I said earlier, however off base if cool as long as it is lawful. That deal got a lot of attention from the NRA and other 2A groups. I am not aware of how it turned out in the end.

I have been active duty for close to 17 years and have enjoyed owning and shooting personally owned weapons the entire time. I carry concealed 24/7 do to my job (Sig 228 is my issues duty weapon) but I always obtain a concealed weapons permits in the state I am assigned so I can carry different/other weapons concealed while off duty if I choose to. Many agents do. The Air Force only allows me to carry my duty weapon off duty and even then to be in compliance I must carry an ASP and cuffs. I don't always want to pack all my gear when I am going jogging. Sometimes I like to just grab an air weight J frame or a baby Glock. Some times while in the woods I want something bigger then my issue 9mm. I just have to know that if I am going on base I cannot legally CCW these weapons on the military yard and if I am going to be conducting planned Air Force duty I must be armed with my issue weapon. What ever your job will end up being, you will have the same option as a citizen depending on the local laws of the state. Over my career I have compiled quite the arsonal and firearms are a way of life for me. I do a lot of competition shooting etc. Because of this I usualy choose to live off base (makes things a little easier as I am not driving through the gate all the time with a truck load of guns/ammo). Many in the AF are very gun friendly. Just as many or ignorant and terrified at the thought of a weapon. Times are changing as we become a more combat oriented force.

You will enjoy the AF and still be able to exercise most of your rights. You just need to get smart on the laws and regs and do things intelligently.

EH3
12-09-2007, 14:25
Anyone know the regulations for Randolph? I'm heading there next year.