Has so much really changed with getting a CCW in PA?!?!?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has so much really changed with getting a CCW in PA?!?!?!

emt1581
11-10-2007, 15:11
My License to Carry is about to expire at the end of next month.

Originally (5yrs ago) I was told that they mail you a renewal form/packet and you just send it in.

So I called up the Sherriff to verify this. Some deputy answered the phone and when I asked about the renewal process he said "NOOO! You need to come here and fill everything out new again! You also need to bring your votor registration card, insurance statement, a picture ID, and (something else but I forget it now)" I said "What?? Last time I think I brought just my voter registration card and then was told I didn't even need that!".

He said that I was wrong and it's always been this way. Then I said ok and before I hung up I verified that the cost was still only $27. Got another kick in the pants...now it's $35. Still dirt cheap by some states standards.

So ok, this deputy sounded up in age but relatively new. Someone set me straight (since Packing.org is down)...what do I need? And what is the process/cost?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Steve in PA
11-10-2007, 18:34
By law they are supposed to mail you a renewal notice........try telling them that!!

(f) Term of license.--
(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection
(e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period
of five years unless sooner revoked.
(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each
license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an
application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a
renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the
responsibility to renew the license.

Part of the cost of a license also includes a renewal processing fee!! Ask the sheriff what he's doing with that money!!!!!

(h) Fee.--
(1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii)
and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19.
This includes all of the following:
(i) A renewal notice processing fee of $1.50.

Pat T
11-10-2007, 18:40
EMT-

Here's a link to the PA statute spelling out the requirements for PA CCW application. http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CTS/18/00.061.009.000..HTM Sounds to me like different sherriffs interpret the laws to their own specifications. When I got mine three years ago I just had to go to the sherriff's office, present PA Driver's License and fill out the form providing two character references. They took a pic and I received it a couple weeks later. Anyway, good luck with it.

Arc Angel
11-10-2007, 19:26
Contact your local state representative and complain.

You are entitled to receive that 60 day notice. A valid Pennsylvania drivers license, state ID card, and a Berkheimer's or Central Tax Bureau certificate is, about, all you should need. A recent local utility bill might, also, help you to establish county residency.

Here's the replacement for Packing.org:

Handgun Laws (http://handgunlaw.us/)

ABCDEFG
11-11-2007, 17:34
My last two renewals all I needed was a driver's licence and two references (neither 2 were contacted). I don't remember the cost.

emt1581
11-11-2007, 17:42
HOLY CRAP!!!

This is Northampton County by the way.

I called up and this is what I was told.

I'm livid right now!

Steve, would you happen to have the exact title/subsection/numbers of that info you posted? I tried clicking on Pats link and it showed me everything, but was just text. Didn't look overly official.

I want something I can go in, plop down on the counter and ask them to answer for themselves.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

murph2127
11-11-2007, 18:19
If you changed you addy and didn't tell them the renewal letter might not have found its way to you.

Though I must admit, the current administration there seems to be a bit off on carry permits. I've heard stories...

Steve in PA
11-11-2007, 19:14
6109. Licenses.
(f) Term of license.--
(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless sooner revoked.
(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

(h) Fee.--
(1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:

slewfoot
11-11-2007, 21:20
I never got my 60 day warning letter. Consequently, my right to carry was interrupted while my old permit expired and the new one was being processed. They did contact my references and charged me 45 bucks for renewal. This is in Delaware County. This and the fact that the sheriff's office mailed out a brochure to all LTCF permit holders which contained blatant errors in information has me fuming. The brochure wasn't hidden in an envelope but sent open for all to see that I own at least one weapon.

To add insult to injury, the sheriff's office does not do fingerprinting for SBRs. You must go to the PSP for that, by appointment only, from what I am told.

SoaringKestrel
11-12-2007, 01:33
I just renewed mine a few months ago. They sent me a renewal notice - in postcard form so anyone that wanted to could read that I needed to renew my carry license - but no application. It basically said that I needed to go to the courthouse to renew. I did that - filled out the application again with 2 references. I don't remember how much it cost. I was in and out in probably 15 minutes.

emt1581
11-12-2007, 14:43
6109. Licenses.
(f) Term of license.--
(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless sooner revoked.
(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

(h) Fee.--
(1) In addition to fees described in paragraphs (2)(ii) and (3), the fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes all of the following:

Thanks!

Again, could you please share your source with us so I can explain where the info. is from just on the off chance I get looked upon as if having 6 heads.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581

Steve in PA
11-12-2007, 15:52
My source is the PA Crimes Code, Title 18. You can view the whole thing here; http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/PUBLIC/cons_index.cfm

Look for Title 18, then Chapter 61 which contains the Uniform Firearms Act.

ERASER
11-12-2007, 16:59
Be glad that you don't live in Philly. I also never got a renewal card. Neither have other Philadelphians I know.

I had to go on a day off from work (because they have short hours) and wait over an hour and a half just to be "interviewed". At the end of the interview, I was told that the waiting time for a notification was 8 to 10 WEEKS.

That was September 14th.

I'm still waiting.

Steve in PA
11-12-2007, 17:33
I would never wait for a renewal card. My wife got her LTC when we got married and she has NEVER received any notification that her license was about to expire.

That said, everyone hears about newspapers wanting to get a hold of a list of persons licensed to carry. If those that have a license were on some type of "mailing list"....I thik it owuld be too easy for them to get their hands on it.

Glock_23_PI
11-12-2007, 20:36
I got my card about 60days before my permit expired. I went to the sherrif's office on monday with my State ID (drivers license) and filled out a form, 2 mins later out the door. Called on Friday and permit was ready to pick up.

Thats Lycoming County

tat2guy
11-14-2007, 00:06
I got my card about 60days before my permit expired. I went to the sherrif's office on monday with my State ID (drivers license) and filled out a form, 2 mins later out the door. Called on Friday and permit was ready to pick up.

Thats Lycoming County

When last I renewed mine here in Philly (2 years ago, maybe?) it was still only $19.

citori59
11-14-2007, 03:19
Hell, I don't know what county you live in but here in good old Blair County our Sheriff, Larry Field is a man of the people and a second amendment supporter. When I re-new I just walk in, get a picture taken, hand the money over and in five minutes walk out.

Glock_23_PI
11-14-2007, 15:28
I wish Lycoming County would go to a photo card
We still have the little piece of paper that after 5 years looks like a used tissue

emt1581
11-14-2007, 20:04
I was actually frisked by the deputy I spoke to yesterday. He gave me a different version of the process than the secretary that actually processed the licenses. She gave me the real skinny on the process. Something interesting I learned is that there is a 60-day grace period from the date of expiration. Hell, they could take 3 months for all I care! However, she did say that there's no way it should take anywhere close to 2 months to process.

-Emt1581

true believer
11-14-2007, 23:16
i live in delaware county...my permit expires in marh of 08..i got a app in the mail with a letter stateing i could bring it to the office in january...
no finger prints...
bob

Steve in PA
11-14-2007, 23:37
Frisked? Why were you frisked?

emt1581
11-15-2007, 05:34
Frisked? Why were you frisked?

I meant upon entry to the building.

true believer
11-15-2007, 15:42
we just go through metal dect...
bob

emt1581
11-15-2007, 17:10
we just go through metal dect...
bob

Yeah same here, but the one deputy was facinated by the gloves in my pocket and didn't understand it was not a weapon causing the pocket to buldge...5 clarifications later the problem was solved.

-Emt1581