Medics and Armour [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Medics and Armour

CDNGlock
11-11-2007, 17:42
Hey all Im a PCP in Ontario Canada I guess it's equivelant to EMT-Intermediate since I do Symptom relieve and IV starts and Defib. Anyway, Im really curious about everyone out there and whether or not you wear body armour. To my knowledge in Canada the City of Calgary in the Provence of Alberta is the only service that issues EMT's and Paramedics body armour. Here in Ontario the one service I see body armour becoming more common is Metro Toronto. Ive been debating getting body armour to be worn under my uniform since wearing it over my uniform will likly be seen as a "uniform violation"
I guess what I am also curious about would be what types of vests would best suit the medics. From the little bit Ive researched it appears the key points are trauma plates and stab resistance.

Im curious about your thoughts.

Take care, be safe and remember if you drop your patient...FAKE A SEIZURE!!!

lthrbound
11-11-2007, 21:07
I work in a low income, industrial, suburb in CO. While my company does not issue vests, I have picked one up through an officer on the local PD. They get issued new ones and their old ones suit me just fine. Although this area is not as violent as it used to be, I see just reason, espicially at night around here to wear mine. If you feel wearing one would be a wise counter-measure, then I would. Nothing like that good ole' gut instinct.

miked36258
11-11-2007, 21:15

RyanNREMTP
11-12-2007, 10:19
Here the only ones that can wear body armor are the tactical medics and we can only wear them during SWAT calls.

Skintop911
11-12-2007, 10:29
Here the only ones that can wear body armor are the tactical medics and we can only wear them during SWAT calls.

Can, as in can draw from a pool of agency-supplied gear, or are you expressly forbidden from wearing armor?

FiremanMike
11-12-2007, 12:12
We are issued vests, but we wear them on the outside of our uniforms and only on runs of potential violence, i.e. shootings, stabbings, assaults, domestics, etc.

RyanNREMTP
11-12-2007, 15:12
Can, as in can draw from a pool of agency-supplied gear, or are you expressly forbidden from wearing armor?

SWAT call outs are done while not on the ambulance. The PD we work with supplies the armor. As for while on the ambulance we can not wear any type of armor which to me is stupid with the area we run calls in.

Glkster19
11-13-2007, 20:33
I don't know of any local depts that issue armor around here, have never heard of not being able to if you choose to.

Why would you wear it on the outside of your uniform?? All that does is tell the perp to aim for your head.

RyanNREMTP
11-14-2007, 10:41
They have some carriers that are identical to regular class A shirts and really can't tell the difference.