How would you buy an out-of-state used pistol in NY? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How would you buy an out-of-state used pistol in NY?

AlphaTea
11-11-2007, 21:07
I am concidering buying a used pistol from another individual who is in another state. The pistol is an older ruger MKII .22lr. What do i do?

Patterson
11-11-2007, 21:49
While I have never done this myself, I understand that it needs to go from a licensed Dealer (FFL) to another licensed dealer & then to you. You cannot purchase directly from another individual... at least that's how it works in NJ...

AlphaTea
11-11-2007, 23:46
I understand all of that. That is true of any handgun purchased in NY, however, we have this P.O.S. law about ballistic fingerprints for handguns. I am wondering if that applies to used weapons as well. If so, how do you go about getting it done for a handgun that was made before the law and does it matter if it was used in another state?

Patterson
11-12-2007, 11:49
Try http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm. The way this reads, it seems that the ballistics fingerprint requirement only applies to firearms manufactured after March 1, 2001. Why not ask your local FFL who will perform the transfer? Shouldn't they know the laws?

Sgt_Gold
11-16-2007, 20:21
AFAIK, all pistol transfers into NY from an out of state buyer must come from an FFL. The ballistic fingerprint issue does not apply to used pistols. I have made numerous out of state pistol purchases and have never been asked for a fired shell casing for the COBUS isue.