How do you network or market your business? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you network or market your business?

HalfGlocked
11-13-2007, 06:22
After years of freelancing on the side, March 1st. I started my own business (http://www.clearspringdesign.com).

I mainly have repeats and referrals, but like anyone else would like to attract new business.

Last month I joined the chamber of commerce, and haven't been able to attend the monthly networking event yet, so we will see how it goes.

How do my fellow glockers network or market your business to attract new clients?

TacticalRecon
11-13-2007, 08:35
Word of mouth is the best marketing and advertising anyone can get. They are trusted individuals who are told about your company and services by their friends or trusted business partners.

The chamber of commerce is also a good start. Also look for a small to medium business networking group. I belong to both the Chamber of Commerce and a medium business networking group and they both help me get a lot of clients. But it is give and take, you must give and interact before you can reap the benefits of these groups.

I market and network my business anytime and anywhere. When I shop for presents for the holidays or just casually talking to people some how we get on the topic about my business and I mention it to them, by that time they are comfortable and you give them your card. About 6 out of 10 of those I do get responses from the person directly OR from a friend of theirs. It takes time, remember you are a new business and your name hasn't been out there long. Keep pushing it, make a name for yourself and people will flow in.

I run a medium computer company in Allentown, PA and have an office in New York City where my business partner runs that. We also just started doing web design as well and have been so busy because of contracts that we don't have time to even build our own website.

If you have any more questions or ideas let me know. Good luck.

HalfGlocked
11-14-2007, 03:27
Thanks for the tips and advice!

TacticalRecon
11-16-2007, 09:59
Thanks for the tips and advice!

You are welcome.

jrayharder
11-18-2007, 20:54
After years of freelancing on the side, March 1st. I started my own business (http://www.clearspringdesign.com).

I mainly have repeats and referrals, but like anyone else would like to attract new business.

Last month I joined the chamber of commerce, and haven't been able to attend the monthly networking event yet, so we will see how it goes.

How do my fellow glockers network or market your business to attract new clients?

It sounds like you should go to that networking meeting. I am about to join Business Networking Int'l (BNI) www.bni.com
I visited last week and got three referrals without being part of the group yet. These people become your salesman, and when they tell somebody who trusts them, they trust you for their business.

PeterJasonMN
11-24-2007, 22:40
Since you're just starting out, one thing I would suggest is working with a local college. Our school does several joint enterprise setups that are major-specific. Last year the marketing majors worked with the local Coke reps. This year there's an accounting elective that is working with a local small business.

Satired
11-26-2007, 17:19
Join your local political party and get active in "grass roots" campaigning. You'd be surprised at the people you meet and unlike the chamber, they're not all sellers.

HalfGlocked
11-28-2007, 21:16
Thank you for the great advice guys!

anyplainjoe
11-29-2007, 10:36
In addition to the networking groups, which can really be hit or miss...and miss....

I recommend calling on the big media outlets, ad agencies, and business which you see advertising alot. try to position yourself as a great outsourcing/overflow outfit to get your foot in the door. If they are already utilizing media services, they are most likely to be agreeable to get more. Don't waste time trying to make people see the value in the web, that's just a waste of time.

Remember to pitch the "what's in it for them" and the benefits to them. Don't get geeky and scare them off with your knowledge. Make it easy to use you. I've seen too many techies go solo and have little selling or interpersonal skills to interface well with buyers. Media/marketing people are emotional decision makers.

Read some sales books, because now you need those skills to proceed to the next stage of actually doing the tech work.

And if you haven't done so yet, do some SEO or AdWords to get your business name in front of people who actually are seeking your services.

My $.02!