What's up with all the English chefs on TV? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's up with all the English chefs on TV?

JMag
11-13-2007, 21:58
The Brits are NOT known as being the world's best chefs or preparers of the world's finest cuisine. Heck, many of them don't even have the chops to eat solid food (yeah, joking a bit here). So, what up with all the English dudes/dudettes with cooking shows? Is it the accent and the personality or what?

The Jamie Oliver "Today Show" segments this week prompted this rant.

sweetatergal
11-14-2007, 10:52
I actually miss Jamie Oliver on Food Network. I liked his shows. Now there is Nigela Lawson. I enjoy watching to see what other folks eat. Makes coming up with different dinner ideas a little easier. :)

PMY
11-14-2007, 17:11
Yes, Jamie Oliver may be ridiculous. But no reason to impugn a whole island over one guy.

Because Nigella Lawson is a whole different story. Especially now that she's on Food Network. Watching Nigella cook dinner makes me feel like everything's going to be alright.

And if you get any of her cookbooks -- I have most of them -- you'll find that you can eat pretty well too. Maximum pleasure for minimum effort. My kind of woman.

JMag
11-14-2007, 18:26
Just a note to say...I have NO problem with Nigella!

:)

She has nice...teeth....too!

Glockerel
11-15-2007, 11:43
Jamie Oliver is gross. Between the lisping and the constant habit of sticking his fingers in food and licking them over and over makes me a little ill. Never seen him wash his hands between his little rounds of "finger food".

sweetatergal
11-15-2007, 13:03
Jamie Oliver is gross. the constant habit of sticking his fingers in food and licking them over and over makes me a little ill. Never seen him wash his hands between his little rounds of "finger food".

And that is what makes him a Brit. I've been told that they think if you drink along with your meal then that is an insult (that the food was not good) and that belching is a complement.

You know the Brits like to do thinks a bit different.

Glockerel
11-16-2007, 06:15
And that is what makes him a Brit. I've been told that they think if you drink along with your meal then that is an insult (that the food was not good) and that belching is a complement.

You know the Brits like to do thinks a bit different.

No Offense- but BS. I've been to London many times and he is an unsanitary slob. Drinking is OK with a meal- especially ales and wines.
Belching is an Arabic thing. Hey, I love a good belch, but at the table??? The only thing that seperates arabs from a camel is a crowbar. he he he.

hotlunch
11-20-2007, 13:35
Brits are weird when it comes to food but many of them have had training in France since it's so near. Oddly enough it's a British production company that produces my fave "Barefoot Contessa" eps. At least they know a good cook when they see one.