So, What's everybody taking for Deer this year? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So, What's everybody taking for Deer this year?

degoodman
11-14-2007, 17:49
Since we're already a good bit of the way into Bow Season, and the first gun season opportunity is coming up (you ARE taking a kid, even your neighbor's kid if you don't have any, out for the youth hunt Nov 17th - 18th aren't you? Remember there won't be any more hunting if there aren't any more hunters to replace us when we die) what's everybody packing afield this year?

For me, it's my not very new, high tech or sexy 65 pound PSE compound for bow season, the few opportunities I have to go out during bow anyway.

For Gun week this year the .460 XVR gets the nod. I have a 2x Leupold sitting atop a Warne mount, anchored with 4(!) rings to keep everything on board. At this point, the only point of hot debate for me is whether to shoot the factory 200 Grain Hornady SST, My Barnes 275 Grain XPB handloads, my Hornady 300 Grain XTP/MAG handload, or my cast lead 360's. Right now my lean is towards the SST's, because I think everything else will just tear up too much meat, but no matter what I pick, I've got drops and dope for any shot I can take out to 250 yards, and the handgun is capable of doing that kind of work.

and for the closing muzzleloader season, should I get the opportunity and have an unfilled tag, it will be my equally not very new, high tech, sexy or pretty at this point, Knight .50 caliber.

I don't know if any of y'all been out scouting yet this year, but around the grounds I hunt there are PLENTY of animals to take, despite the record or near record harvests the last three years, with over 200,000 tags filled each year. The early season drought conditions that hit many areas throughout the state don't seem to have hurt the size or health of the animals I've glassed, but we'll see once it's time to tag one.

So what's everybody else taking out this year?

glockess56
11-14-2007, 23:43
I'm using my Super Blackhawk with .44 specials. It's 9'' long with a huge Leupold scope. It shoots nice. In the past, I used my Mossberg 500 with the deer barrel and Lightfield ammo. This year, it's with a handgun as my challenge. Good luck to all the deer hunters for a safe and prosperous hunt this season.

RWBlue
11-15-2007, 10:37
I will try to get my brother into the woods, but with what is going on in my life, I may not be able to go.

If I go:
Encore, 50 BP.
Cabelas, 54 BP Hawken clone

gmachine
11-15-2007, 14:50
.30-30 winchester 1894, no shots fired yet though.

grecco
11-15-2007, 14:52
Marlin 30-30 or Remington 700AS in 280 Rem.
Colt King Cobra 6 inch on the hip.

cloudbuster
11-15-2007, 16:08
You people mentioning .30-30 rifles -- I wasn't aware that there was any time or place in Ohio you could legally use a breechloading rifle to hunt deer.

gmachine
11-15-2007, 17:35
I'm hunting in Kentucky (but live in Ohio).

11-15-2007, 18:04
I have already taken a buck with my equally non sexy pse compound bow.

I am taking the neighbor boy to hunt tomorrow for the youth season. Everyone give him some good thoughts, I would love to be there for his first deer.

CaptToyota
11-15-2007, 21:04
Come Monday morning in lower south east West Virginia, be me and my 30-06.

Probably 10+ yr slaying deer with this rifle.

R.TOKER
11-15-2007, 22:04

lower south east West Virginia!!! Sounds like a pretty scary place to me!!! I have been to Logan Co. in the town of Mann, WV. It's like time left some people behind! Good Luck, ever see the movie "Wrong Turn". LOL

RWBlue
11-15-2007, 22:31

I hunted WV for several years. Many of those deer were taken with a 30-06. It was a blast. I would love to back, but... Good luck.

citori59
11-16-2007, 03:27
I will be carrying (for the 30th straight season) my beloved Remington 700 BDL in 270 topped with a Tasco 4x12x40 AO scope using my own handloads featuring a Sierra 130gr BTS. My side arm in deer season (I am there for up to two weeks) will be a SS Ruger Security 6 / 4" heavy barrel stoked with a compressed handload and topped with a 180 gr. Keith style bullet. I have taken three deer just using this handgun alone. Lastly, the G30 sits beside my bed at camp for those long lonely midnight walks to the outhouse.

birddog1
11-16-2007, 05:37
I already took a 10 pt with my bow and I'm going to try to get a doe with it before gun season starts. If not, I'll take my Rem 870 for gun season, then my TC Encore for muzzleloader in December.

alwaysshootin
11-16-2007, 07:01
I will probably start out opening morning with my trusty Encore 209x50 (beings no one took it off my hands) I have used it for the last five years, and have taken a deer every year with it. Last year took a doe at 145 yards opening day muzzleloader season. Gun week was short last year because of a quading trip to Mann, WV. Mid-week I will be hunting on local private property which for the most part is thick cover, and long shots usually don't present itself. There I will be using my G20, and it will be the first time in about fifteen years trying to fill a tag with a pistol. Hope the weather stays on the cold side. I'm sick and tired of hunting in 60-80 degree temps for gun season. We own property in Adams county, and there have been years that there was a concern about whether we would be able to get the deer home fast enough to process it without spoilage. Have fun and be safe!

CaptToyota
11-16-2007, 17:26
lower south east West Virginia!!! Sounds like a pretty scary place to me!!! I have been to Logan Co. in the town of Mann, WV. It's like time left some people behind! Good Luck, ever see the movie "Wrong Turn". LOL

Monroe Co, a little over 5 mile north of Peterstown/ almost Lindside, see 219 from in-laws place.