Backpack? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Backpack?

HailStorm31
11-14-2007, 20:40
Hey all.
Got my license, took the MSF course, looking at getting a bike this spring. I'll be using it as a commuter vehicle. Any of you use a backpack to carry things back and forth? If so, what do you use? What's the important things to look for in a backpack on a bike (besides solid, when I go down).
Thanks!

edcrosbys
11-15-2007, 09:35
I used to carry my laptop to and from in a backpack. Instead of wearing the bad, I would tie it down with bungy net for the ride. Less worries about stuff shifting on me.

If I were going to wear one I would look for compression and chest straps. But I still like tying it down instead, weight is lower on the bike and I can move easier.

What are you riding? I've seen T-bags for cruisers w/ a backrest are nice.

HailStorm31
11-15-2007, 11:58
Nothing yet, looking at an ex250/500 for a starter bike.
Would there be enough room on the back of one of those to strap a bag down?

fnfalman
11-15-2007, 12:24
There's plenty of room on the backseat of the EX250/EX500 to strap a bag down. I'd suggest to go with a tail bag or a saddle bag before you go to a backpack. I use a backpack because my bike doesn't have readily available tie-down points like the bikes that you mention.

But as far as backpacks go, pretty much anything with a cross strap on the chest or around the waist is fine. I have an Ogio-brand (I think it's the 2150) that I'm pretty happy with. There are some that go with the AXO-brand hard shell back pack but those things are pretty much made with slots for laptops and folders for the business type instead of general purpose open hole backpack like an Ogio or similar brand.

MCPreacher
11-15-2007, 17:16
I have an Ergo hard shell that I wear a lot.

Lone Wolff
11-17-2007, 23:05
I also use an Ogio. I use it a lot for items that aren't easily tied down by themselves. If I have to put it in a bag, it's more convenient to just use the backpack than something else.

However, a cruiser with a luggage rack...opposite. I never used a backpack.

HailStorm31
11-17-2007, 23:22
http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=164
Looks nice, has the sternum strap, about the size I need. I'm a little concerned about impact, and having the laptop on the outside. Anyone used that one?

Lone Wolff
11-18-2007, 09:54
http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=164
Looks nice, has the sternum strap, about the size I need. I'm a little concerned about impact, and having the laptop on the outside. Anyone used that one?

Sternum strap is a must.

I've never carried anything of 'significant' value, so impact resistance/protection wouldn't be a concern if I went down. I'd rather have that protection on me, not my pack. But if I did take a laptop, high end camera, etc, I'd probably invest in good rigid luggage for the bike instead of backpack. Personal preference.

HailStorm31
11-18-2007, 10:28
Duly noted, appreciate it!

norton
11-18-2007, 13:43
Have you considered a tank bag? they hold alot of gear, and you can lay your chest down on them while riding on the highway.

HailStorm31
11-18-2007, 15:20
How much is a lot of gear?
Day to day, I don't need a lot of storage, but there are times when it would come in handy.
What would you suggest in a tank bag?