Lead Study [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lead Study

Rikki
11-15-2007, 07:32
Yesterday (11-14-07) I was a participant in a lead study at Cincy Revolver Club. The study was actually a field trial for a new product that removes lead residue from your hands.
Some shot 45's, some 40's, some 9's(semi autos) Others shot revolvers-45 and 38.I shot an IZH35... Guys specifically shot jacketed, lead,moly lead, copper washed,copper coated, and maybe one or two other kinds- you shot the same gun and the same bullet thru the trial-out of the same lane.
We went in and shot 30 rounds then
we washed out hands as if we were scrubbing in, then went and shot another 30 rounds...then used specially treated toweletts to collect the 30 shot residue off our hands and that went to the lab for a baseline...
Scrub in again, 30 more shots,wash with soap and water- then special towelett to collect residue that would remain after washing...that goes off to the lab...
Scrub in again, 30 more shots- then wash with their product-then the towellett again to collect residue...
They did spot checks and quick tests off some of the toweletts- Copper jackets had way less residue than lead of course,Moly lead was no different than lead,and copper washed was better than lead...
Fomite lead contamination is really not much different than most other filth- guys go shoot- don't wash their hands- lick their fingers and get a high lead level. I'd ditch the "favorite shooting shirt"...it's contaminated and lead likes to seep into your nice warm armpits. I'd also slip disposable booties over my shoes-the shoe lead levels were outa sight...
Anything you touch in an indoor range is gonna dirty you up...till something is out on the mkt that really deals with the problem I'd...well, I don't know what I'd do...I know I'm gonna wear booties, and I guess scrub like crazy after shooting, and shower as soon as I get home-even though regular old soap and water is pretty ineffective for lead removal...
I think at least a light mask-or maybe a Jesse James bandana for you guys and gals with beards....

domzilla9
11-15-2007, 09:02
That's really interesting. I recently had my lead levels checked and they were a little high but not as high as some. After all my moly's are gone I am switching to Sierra Lead Safe bullets and I am going to shoot indoors a lot less next year.

Do you have any thoughts on what might be the secret ingredient in the wipes they were testing?

ciwsguy
11-15-2007, 18:10
Interesting. I hear some states are enacting lead free ammunition legislation. Anybody know anything about lead-free ammo? What type of metal alloy is used as a projectile in lead-free ammo?

cwshootersupply
11-16-2007, 13:49
I saw those wipes in a trade magizine, well post more info when I get to my office and get back to the shop.

domzilla9
11-16-2007, 17:27
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=734214

Berretta9
11-18-2007, 12:03
They are in the most recent Dillon catalog along with a soap thats for lead removal.

seanmcp
11-19-2007, 22:08
Some of y'all should just shower within a couple of days of shooting at the range :)

Sorry, couldn't pass it up when it was just out there for it...

Still wish I had time to shoot (and somewhere to do it that didn't have a leaky roof, etc etc etc). Hope to have time for some shooting next spring!