Fort Hood [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hood

ezterra
11-17-2007, 17:19
Well, it looks like I'll be going to Fort Hood, TX for my first duty station. I don't have orders in hand yet, but branch is telling me once EFMP is verified for my wife, Fort Hood it is.

So, what are your opinions of Fort Hood. From what I gather, there is good hunting in the area. I especially enjoy prairie dog, rabbit, hog, and coyote hunting. Also, I love shooting IDPA and USPSA. It looks like there are some good clubs in Waco and Austin. What's the post like? I am married with children. Are there decent family activities? Anything I need a heads up on?

Thanks!

deadday
11-18-2007, 00:15
From a cushy AFB to the home of the Cav eh? Man, you got a raw deal ;-) 1st, 4ID, or 3rd ACR? I've never been stationed at Hood, but have spent some time up there visiting friends and family.

drew

AF-Odin
11-18-2007, 10:32
Do you know what unit yet? 1CD is still in Iraq and coming home between now and about February. 3ACR just deployed and 4ID is starting to deploy for trip #3. III Corps HQ is due home after Christmas. Lots of new on-post housing, lots of rennovated on-post housing. Lots of houses for purchase off-post (but they aint cheap except when compared to major metropolitan areas). Not too much in the way of rentals, but they can be found.

Hunting on post is available, but requires Texas Sate Hunting License and Hunter Safety Course. Most on-post hunting is dove and deer. Locally, dove, deer, feral hog, turkey, and coyote, but in Texas MOST land is privately owned so you need permission (usually in the form of a hunting lease). On post is a range that is USUALLY available 7 days a week for firing privately owned weapons. Weapons MUST be registered with the PM and must be transported from Quarters/armory/off-post directly to and from the range. The range will check registration prior to firing. It is a big no-no to store the weapons in your trunk during duty to then go shoot during lunch. Range has 15, 25, and 50 yard pistol points and 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard rifle points. the Sportsman's Club has a trap and skeet range.

By the way, there is a great Glock Dealer in Copperas Cove (10 minutes from Ft Hood) who offers a great discount to military personnel as well as offering Texas CHL classes. Welcome to Hood.

ezterra
11-22-2007, 22:46
Thanks for the info AF-Odin. So far as I can tell I'll be going to the 797 EOD company. I'm looking forward to shooting USPSA matches again. I was a little bummed to hear that most land out there is private. Idaho, where I'm from, has a ton of public land so it's easy to just get out and shoot/hunt.

Are there places to shoot out in the hills? I'd like to get back to practicing for USPSA and IDPA again, and as far as I can tell most ranges, especially what might be available on post, won't allow for shooting USPSA style (ie drawing, firing quickly etc).

AF-Odin
11-23-2007, 19:06
I think that there is a club that shoots IDPA just outside Copperas Cove (about 10 miles from Ft Hood). One of the guys that works for me shoots 3-gun tactical, but I am not sure where he shoots.

You are correct about ranges on post not liking drawing or rapid fire. Anything more than an occasional double tap gets the RSO at the Sportsman's Range excited. Before I retired, the Army Range guys would get really excited with us AF guys on the pistol course of fire becausre the AF course required a certain number of rounds to be fired with the pistol drawn from the holster and then fired whereas all of the Army courses of fire were from depressed pistol. Always had to brief the Range Control and luckily, the AF CATM guy assigned had a good relationsip with Range Safety.

One good bit of information is that Texas WAIVES the fee for Hunting and Fishing licenses for AD military.

Have not heard of that particular EOD Company--is it in the 36th Engineer BDE, the 13th Sustainment Command, or one of the Sustainment BDEs?

Shoot me an email when you get closer to arrival and I will pass your contact info to the guy that shoots 3-gun tactical.

ezterra
11-24-2007, 16:43
The 797th EOD company is moving to Ft. Hood from Ft. Sam Houston. So it's a new company. I will definitely like to get in touch with your buddy that shoots three gun. Thanks for the info.

Fullauto_Shoote
11-25-2007, 14:19
I'm stationed at Hood and have been for several years. LOTs of USPSA & 3-Gun activity in the area - I usually shoot at least one match per weekend and sometimes two. Some of the closer clubs:
Copperas Cove Pistol Club - 3 matches per month (3-Gun, Action Pistol, IDPA)
Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club (Waco) - IPSC
Brazosland Pistoleros (Hearne) - IPSC
Alpha Mike (Near Bulverde) - IPSC
Austin Lonestar Practical Shooting Club (Near La Grange) - IPSC
Tiger Valley (Near Waco) - 3-Gun
Temple Gun Club - IDPA

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a document that details pretty much all the shooting matches in CENTEX, broken down by each weekend day.