3rd battery straight to hell... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 3rd battery straight to hell...

GSX-MAN
11-17-2007, 19:05
Aww s#&t, my battery's lost beyond redemption.

All due to my alarm system, which was mandatory to get my bike insured. When I don't use the bike for a while, it totally drains my battery, leaving my bike to be a nice garden ornament.

It never used to be a problem, since I used the bike to get to work. But the last 1,5 years, I have a job within bicycle's range, so I only use my motorbike for fun.

Damn the company that built my alarm system and damn the insurance company that had me fit it to my bike straight to hell...

Sorry guys, just wanted to rant about having to buy a new battery.

Naptown34
11-17-2007, 19:10
Get a battery cut out switch. No drain. Easy to install in series.

And maybe a separate battery for the bike....

Dandapani
11-17-2007, 19:41
http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Motorcycle-Accessories/Motorcycle-Batteries/Battery-Tender-Junior.jpg

fnfalman
11-17-2007, 21:39
http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Motorcycle-Accessories/Motorcycle-Batteries/Battery-Tender-Junior.jpg

Battery Tender is your friend and dirt cheap at around $40 a pop.

Lone Wolff
11-17-2007, 22:10

Maybe they're harder to come by in the Netherlands?

GSX-MAN
11-18-2007, 03:41
No, the worst part is that it's my own fault. I've got an Optimate 3, which I only need to connect to the bike to keep my battery healthy. But my bike is parked outside and I forgot to connect the device when I parked my bike while it was starting to rain.

I want that switch Naptown34 is talking about, it sounds like a good way to stop my alarm from draining the battery.

HandyMan Hugh
11-18-2007, 04:43
A battery disconnect might be a bad idea. If your bike is stolen the insurance company could later come back on you and sue you for what ever they paid out to you for the bike. Check to see if the use of the alarm system is required for the theft insurance to be valid.

A 1/2 Amp trickle charger might be a better idea. Batteries self discharge over time. A trickle charger will prevent that, as well as maintain the alarm system.

GSX-MAN
11-18-2007, 08:43
An other option would be entirely removing the alarm and don't say a thing to the insurance company.

blackopsglock
02-05-2008, 20:41

Yeah.Walmart sells a trickle charger for under $20.Ive installed hundreds of them for every bike that comes through my shop.Customers appreciate the extra attention to detail.

GSX-MAN
02-06-2008, 01:14
Replaced part of my exhaust last weekend. What a job, been working on it for about 6 hours, using cutting and welding tools in the process.

Next time, I'll bring it to the shop...