X360-red ring around power button [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : X360-red ring around power button

freakshow10mm
11-18-2007, 00:30
Tried to play "Gun" tonight but when I turned on my X360 the circle around the power botton flashed red. Nothing displayed on my TV. Checked all the connections and they are tight as can be. Restarted, tried a different game, same results.

WTF happened?

freakshow10mm
11-18-2007, 00:33
Oh, goodie. They have an FAQ on this. Testing MS customer service...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

insanity.
11-18-2007, 01:03
I have heard the service for the red ring of death is actually pretty good!

Scottsdale Thug
11-18-2007, 15:09
If it's all four that means your A/V cord is not plugged in tight.

If it's only three call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX it's toast.

If it's only two it's overheating. Make sure you have good air flow and it's not stacked in your entertainment center with your Receiver, DVR, and DVD. (FYI: Some people have the Nyko Intercooler and the fans stop working, blocking the xbox's "exhaust")

Microsoft just extended the warranty to three years for the RROD. It may take a couple of weeks but they will take care of you.

Sorry your Box is down.... I hope you get it fixed soon!

freakshow10mm
11-19-2007, 21:19
Well they charged me $99 plus tax for an out of warranty repair. Don't know about the extended warranty for the red rings but I have yet to see it. Maybe they won't charge my CC. Who knows. I'll post back when I hear updates.

Scottsdale Thug
11-23-2007, 20:29
WTF!?! "Out of warranty repair"

From Xbox.com Warranty Information (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/resources/warranty.htm)

LIMITED WARRANTY
The term "Xbox Product" means, depending on the context below, either: (i) the Microsoft Xbox 360™ Video Game System console including (when considered as a whole) the Microsoft software stored on the separate Xbox 360 hard disk and/or embedded in microprocessors within the Xbox 360 console ("Console"), or (ii) Microsoft branded Xbox 360-compatible hardware accessories manufactured by or for Microsoft, whether included with the Console or purchased separately ("Accessories"). The term "Warranty Period" means: (i) as applied to the Console, a period of one year (three years for conditions that cause three lights on the ring of light on the front of the Console to flash red) starting as of the date of your sales receipt for the purchase of the Console, or (ii) as applied to an Accessory, a period of 90 days starting as of the date of your sales receipt for the purchase of the Accessory (unless a separate written express warranty is packaged with the particular Accessory).
A. WARRANTIES
One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red). Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Microsoft warrants to you only (the original retail purchaser) that, during the Warranty Period and under normal use and service, the Xbox® Console will substantially conform with the printed user instruction materials packaged with the Console.
90 Day Express Warranty on Accessories. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Microsoft warrants to you only (the original retail purchaser) that, during the Warranty Period and under normal use and service, the Accessory will substantially conform with the printed user instruction materials packaged with the Console or Accessory (unless a separate written express warranty is packaged with the particular Accessory).
Implied Warranty. You may also have an implied warranty and/or condition under the laws of some jurisdictions, which is hereby limited to the duration of the Warranty Period. Some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty or condition lasts, so the foregoing limitation may not apply to you.As to any defects discovered after the Warranty Period, there is no warranty or condition of any kind.
B. OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE
To receive instructions for obtaining repair or replacement warranty services you must call:Within the U.S., U.S. Territories and Canada: 1-800-4MY-XBOX (1-800-469-9269); TTY users: 1-866-740-XBOX (1-866-740-9269).

MORE BELOWIf you had the RROD (Red Ring Of Death) I would call Xbox and get your money back.

insanity.
11-23-2007, 20:47
I agree. Don't let them take advantage of you.

freakshow10mm
11-23-2007, 21:16
I'm sending them an email as I never got instructions on how to mail it in. Customer service my ass.

EAJuggalo
11-24-2007, 08:13
They should have overnighted a box to you to send it back in. If you're going to send it back it's worth it to "induce" the RROD by doing the towel trick backwards.

Scottsdale Thug
11-24-2007, 21:02
Towel Trick:
Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/towel-trick-provides-temporary-fix-to-xbox-360s-red-ring-of-d/)
B.net (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=12682810&postRepeater1-p=1#12682831)

freakshow10mm
11-24-2007, 21:10
They should have overnighted a box to you to send it back in.

Nothing of the sort. I'll email them on Monday and figure what the hell is going on.

Forsak3n1
11-24-2007, 21:16
I'm sure you've tried every possible solution... but I actually got the dreaded RRoD once, since owning my 360, and my heart sank. However, I disconnected (pulled out) the hard drive... then reattached it and turned it back on... and all was normal. Thankfully. Like I said, I'm sure you've exhausted every imaginable idea... but if not, give it a try and hopefully it works for you. Sometimes it's just the simple things.

Also, when I bought my 360 I opted to purchase the additional rear cooler unit. Not sure if it really helps with the overheating problems these units have, but the few dollars was worth the peace of mind. I've never experienced any issues with my Xbox (other than the above instance), so who knows.

Either way... hope MS resolves your problem in a speedy manner. Best of luck!

freakshow10mm
11-24-2007, 21:23
Nope. Didn't work.

So far I'm not impressed with MS.

jason10mm
11-26-2007, 07:39
If it is the three red lights, you should NOT have to pay a dime. Call and complain, complain, complain. Any trick to "fix" the three red lights is just a temp solution since there is a critical design flaw that allows a board to warp from the heat and that breaks solder lines. Refub systems have a massive heat sink installed and I think the new boards are redesigned.

Anyway, should take 2-3 weeks to get your refurb back, and again, for the three red lights, it should NOT cost you any money.

EAJuggalo
11-26-2007, 08:58
The "rear cooler unit" will void you're warranty and has caused as many RRoD as it has prevented. The first couple runs of them had a bad wire in them that caused it to short frying the usb port in the process. They also have a tendency to fail and limit the airflow through the system.

freakshow10mm
12-13-2007, 11:26
Update:

Called MS as to the instructions on where to ship the console. Refunded my money, sent a prepaid box UPS, mailed it back the same day which was earlier this week. MS said it takes 7-10 business days for turn around time. So far so good. Sucks I can't play.

Scottsdale Thug
12-13-2007, 22:44
Thanks for the update.... I'm glad they took care of you.

It sucks your box is away but it's in a safe place....

http://www.smashmyxbox.com/images/smx4.jpg

freakshow10mm
12-13-2007, 22:46
What happened to that?

Scottsdale Thug
12-14-2007, 00:00
http://www.smashmyxbox.com/

freakshow10mm
12-27-2007, 23:03
Update:

Got my X360 back yesterday. Well not the same one really. They swapped mine out for a completely new one, have a one year warranty on it plus three year warranty on the ring thing problem I had with my other one. Basically gave me a brand new one as though I bought it from the store and all the current warranties in place.

Been playing "Gun" and "HALO3" and no issues. I did have to reconnect the controller to the console and it took about 4-5 tries before it was ok. HALO3 is going back in the mail. Worst shooter I've ever played. I don't understand how it is so popular. I got bored in the first two missions. Glad I just rented it and didn't waste $60 on it.

EAJuggalo
12-27-2007, 23:31
Congratulations, you've got to play Rainbow Six: Vegas, if for no other reason than to read what they say the G18 is. .40 full auto and no more than 10+1. A tip I picked up a while back, when you're trying to connect a controller to the system use a play and charge plug. As soon as it's plugged in it automatically binds it to the system.

freakshow10mm
12-28-2007, 00:15
That game is a decent game. I really liked it. Never used the G18 in that game. Don't usually use my pistol unless it is my only silenced weapon and I have the drop on someone.

I got an account with Gamefly so I can get tons of games to rent for little money. Played games I never would have thought of. I've had it for about a year and a half and have played probably 75-80 games between PSP and X360.