Lee County Pistol Permit questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee County Pistol Permit questions

Naja
11-19-2007, 12:03
Hey everybody, I'm new to the site and wondering if anybody can help me out. I'm a grad student at Auburn from out of state, thinking of applying for a pistol permit, and I've got a couple of questions.

First, is there a minimum period of time that you have to have been a resident of Lee county in order to get a permit? I've been here for a couple of years, but am just now getting my AL driver's license, so by state records I imagine it'll show as though I just now established residency. I know that some other counties require residency for 6 months before a permit will be granted, anybody know about here?

Second, there's a line on the form where you have to list your reason for applying for a permit, how specific do you need to be? Other than general self defense, I'd like the permit because I do a lot of solitary fieldwork at night (3 or 4 sessions, 5 days each, every couple of months), and I've heard from people local to my field sites (including a conversation with a local LEO) that there are a lot of snakes (the 2 legged kind) around where I camp and work, plus there is a good amount of hog sign in some of my stream bottoms. Do I need to go into all of that or will just plain "self defense" suffice?

Third, I've got no felonies, but I have a misdemeanor (non-violent, non-drug related) from 5 years back. Fully resolved, no jail time, just paid my fine and never even saw a judge. I've read the state laws and think I understand them (I'm a biologist, not a lawyer), and spoken to a LEO from another county, so I think I'm good as far as state law goes, but it is my understanding that any county sherrif can deny a permit to anyone they deem unsuitable. Any opinions as to whether or not our local sherrif might deem me "unsuitable" due to this?

Any and all opinions are solicited here, ESPECIALLY from ccw holders in Lee county.

Thanks guys

Yellowfin
11-20-2007, 16:30
May Issue is the verbatim rule in AL, but in practice it's been almost Shall Issue. The odds are generally in your favor. I haven't known anyone who got turned down. Hmm...now that's not a bad idea, ya know, being sure that everyone you hang out with has a CCW, because then you know they pass a background check. Heck, if you've got a daughter, make sure the guys she dates all have CCW's!

silverrun
11-21-2007, 14:26
I don't have any experience in lee county, but I have gotten CCW permits in two other AL counties. As near as I can tell, it varies by county. In Mobile county you walked out with your CCW in hand - it was $20 and 20 minutes and you were done. Jefferson Co. was a little different. You filled out the form submitted it and returned ~2 weeks later to pick up your permit - if you passed inspection. I simply put "for protection of self and family" on the blank under reason - it worked for me. You may want to ask some local gun shop guys what they have heard about the process.

BTW, I am a biologist as well. Not an Auburn one though!