Indoor Ranges? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Ranges?

ContractSoldier
11-19-2007, 14:35
Anyone know of any good Indoor ranges that are a 1 hour drive or less from the Cincinnati, OH area that allow you too fire high power rifles like AR15, AK47, AK74, etc.?.

I do know of one range In northern Kentucky that allows you to fire these weapons on there Indoor range, It's called Shooters Supply.

elderboy02
11-19-2007, 20:33
Tagged. I would like to know as well. I have a membership at crappy Target World.

ContractSoldier
11-19-2007, 21:08
Here's the link to the Indoor range In Kentucky, haven't been there yet, but from the picture's It looks much better than Target World and they told me on the phone that shooting my M4 there Is not a problem.

www.shootersupply.net

Racsan
11-20-2007, 08:19
A little more then 1 hour is Open Range just north of Louisville. They have 100yd indoor.

firedog978
11-20-2007, 08:56
CS, you're sure of the range allowing high powered rifles? I went to their site linked and didn't see anything about rifles.

ContractSoldier
11-20-2007, 12:09
Just got off the phone with them, they advise me agian that they do allow high power rifles on there Indoor range.

Racsan, do have a name and web site to that range?.

Brian Dover
11-21-2007, 13:34
I've been to Shooter's Supply (near Independence Ky., NOT the same folks as those with the gun store in Loveland Ohio btw) and yes they allow virtually all rifle calibers. Off the top of my head the the only stuff forbidden there is the ultra-fast (4,000 +fps) stuff like .17 Mach II, .22-250, etc. And .50 BMG, for obvious reasons. Also, BB guns are normally not used because of the ricochet hazard from...well, almost anything that's downrange.

elderboy02
11-21-2007, 19:29
I've been to Shooter's Supply (near Independence Ky., NOT the same folks as those with the gun store in Loveland Ohio btw) and yes they allow virtually all rifle calibers. Off the top of my head the the only stuff forbidden there is the ultra-fast (4,000 +fps) stuff like .17 Mach II, .22-250, etc. And .50 BMG, for obvious reasons. Also, BB guns are normally not used because of the ricochet hazard from...well, almost anything that's downrange.

I am going to have to check out this place sometime when my Target World membership expires.

firedog978
11-21-2007, 20:52
Me too, except that I have no membership at TG to expire first.

ContractSoldier
11-21-2007, 21:15
As much money as Target World has made over the years since they first opened there doors, you would think that now more then ever, they would Invest some money back Into there range, It just better business and will attract more customers If they upgrade and add more firing lanes, allow high power rifles, and upgrade your ventilation system, It sucks.

They just built onto the Inside of there store to make more space for more sale's, but they cant Improve there Indoor range, come on, learn how work kids.

elderboy02
11-22-2007, 08:55
As much money as Target World has made over the years since they first opened there doors, you would think that now more then ever, they would Invest some money back Into there range, It just better business and will attract more customers If they upgrade and add more firing lanes, allow high power rifles, and upgrade your ventilation system, It sucks.

They just built onto the Inside of there store to make more space for more sale's, but they cant Improve there Indoor range, come on, learn how work kids.

Half of their lanes don't work. You think the dumb owner would realize that with winter coming up, people are going to be stopping in more frequently. Also, this summer they installed a new AC system. It was STILL HOT in there.

ContractSoldier
11-22-2007, 11:19
Half of their lanes don't work. You think the dumb owner would realize that with winter coming up, people are going to be stopping in more frequently. Also, this summer they installed a new AC system. It was STILL HOT in there.

That Ok, I'll drive the extra 30 to 35 or however many minutes more of drive that It Is from Target World too Shooter's Supply. Just the fact that Shooter's Supply allow's high power rifle's on there Indoor range has sold me.

CincyBrad
11-24-2007, 08:53
I was at Shooters Supply yesterday (Kentucky one), really really nice place. The rates are the same as Target World, but the facilities are brand new. And yes, things like AK's are allowed. You can shoot steel case ammo as well.

The only issue, make sure you know where you are going, some of the roads down there aren't marked really well.

elderboy02
11-24-2007, 11:27
I was at Shooters Supply yesterday (Kentucky one), really really nice place. The rates are the same as Target World, but the facilities are brand new. And yes, things like AK's are allowed. You can shoot steel case ammo as well.

The only issue, make sure you know where you are going, some of the roads down there aren't marked really well.

Thanks for the update Brad. I am really tired of driving to my aunts and uncles farm in Indiana to shoot my AR.

CincyBrad
11-24-2007, 20:14
Thanks for the update Brad. I am really tired of driving to my aunts and uncles farm in Indiana to shoot my AR.

The biggest pain is finding Old Madison Pike. It's off KY17, except the friggin thing isn't marked, it's a blank 4 way stop. No street sign, no nothing. :(

Depending on which way you are going, it's either right before, or right after, Pleasure Isle drive, which is actually marked.

getorix
11-29-2007, 10:33
There is an indoor range in Vandalia Ohio that is currently building an underground rifle range. I heard one of the guys thats works there say it shold be done by the end of January. Vandalia might be a little further than you want to drive....

http://www.vra-ohio.com

Racsan
11-30-2007, 07:54
Just got off the phone with them, they advise me agian that they do allow high power rifles on there Indoor range.

Racsan, do have a name and web site to that range?.

It is called Open Range ( http://www.openrangesports.com/ )

elderboy02
12-01-2007, 12:26

I just got back from Shooters Supply in Independence and it is fan freaking tastic! :dancing: I will most likely be buying a membership. The range has great lighting. I shot 120 rounds through my AR, and shot my revolver. The employees were very busy, but friendly. They had free donuts and coffee. Some guy next to me was shooting an awesome .308 Savage rifle.

I highly recommend this place! :supergrin:

CincyBrad
12-01-2007, 12:45
I just got back from Shooters Supply in Independence and it is fan freaking tastic! :dancing: I will most likely be buying a membership. The range has great lighting. I shot 120 rounds through my AR, and shot my revolver. The employees were very busy, but friendly. They had free donuts and coffee. Some guy next to me was shooting an awesome .308 Savage rifle.

I highly recommend this place! :supergrin:

Are they crowded? I'm going to be there around 4:30.

Canucksvt
12-02-2007, 09:28

Target World sucks the big one. The only guy there worth talking to is the old guy Jim. All the others behind the counter are lacking (imho) lacking in knowledge or are so full of B.S. that I just cannot stand going in there anymore. I wish I had the money to start my own place across the parking lot from them, so I could really cater to the shooting community and put Target World out of business. I would invite Jim from there to come work for me.

elderboy02
12-02-2007, 10:22
Target World sucks the big one. The only guy there worth talking to is the old guy Jim. All the others behind the counter are lacking (imho) lacking in knowledge or are so full of B.S. that I just cannot stand going in there anymore. I wish I had the money to start my own place across the parking lot from them, so I could really cater to the shooting community and put Target World out of business. I would invite Jim from there to come work for me.

Joe C. is also very good. He is the guy with glasses. He answered every single question I had when I bought my AR.

CaptToyota
12-02-2007, 20:30
Don't know how this fits into the drive parameters, but www.lauhorner.com is where me and couple co-workers go, typically on a sunday, and shott for an hr or so.

PotentPotables
01-03-2008, 22:47
I spent an hour on the range at Shooters Supply in Independence today, and I can echo the sentiments of the others- it's great, and much better than Target World. The building was very clean and in great condition, and the man working there (maybe the owner? He's the one on the left in the photo on the homepage: http://www.shootersupply.net ) was extremely friendly and helpful.

The range itself was also in wonderful condition; well-lit and mechanically sound. I was impressed by just about every aspect of this range, especially after shooting at Target World for so many years.

I joked with the man working there that tonight my friends and I would be tearing up our Target World cards, but I think we might as well. I see no reason to go back there. We talked about Target World for a bit, and he said he can't believe how much of his business is from Ohioans driving down from Cincinnati, often past TW.

Although I'm tempted to keep this a hidden secret, I highly recommend it as an alternative to Target World if it's not too far for you.

Also, the turnoff for Richardson Road was not marked at all; I was using my Christmas-gift GPS unit and I still missed it the first time. Use Mapquest or GoogleMaps to get close and then look for the turnoff to the right that has a steep bump and heads down a hill, then it's just over the bridge.

shadow_dog
01-04-2008, 04:15
Don't know how this fits into the drive parameters, but www.lauhorner.com is where me and couple co-workers go, typically on a sunday, and shott for an hr or so.

Is Lauhorners still open? I heard it might shut down.

I used to go there and shoot GSSF. When it first opened, it was great. Staff was friendly and great also. The GSSF shoot last spring was a BIG CLUSTER. Myself along with others were really upset the way the match was ran. Also, I noticed the selection of firearms for sale was almost nothing IMO.
I hope that Lauhorners has or does get turned around because I really liked the facility.

Linda
01-04-2008, 08:09
Is Lauhorners still open? I heard it might shut down.
I hope that Lauhorners has or does get turned around because I really liked the facility.

The business is for sale. I'm a Realtor, and recently talked to the agent handling the sale. For what it is, it is WAY under priced. Gee, if anyone would love to buy it, I'd be more than happy to represent you as the buyer.

CincyBrad
01-04-2008, 19:16
I spent an hour on the range at Shooters Supply in Independence today, and I can echo the sentiments of the others- it's great, and much better than Target World. The building was very clean and in great condition, and the man working there (maybe the owner? He's the one on the left in the photo on the homepage: http://www.shootersupply.net ) was extremely friendly and helpful.

The range itself was also in wonderful condition; well-lit and mechanically sound. I was impressed by just about every aspect of this range, especially after shooting at Target World for so many years.

I joked with the man working there that tonight my friends and I would be tearing up our Target World cards, but I think we might as well. I see no reason to go back there. We talked about Target World for a bit, and he said he can't believe how much of his business is from Ohioans driving down from Cincinnati, often past TW.

Although I'm tempted to keep this a hidden secret, I highly recommend it as an alternative to Target World if it's not too far for you.

Also, the turnoff for Richardson Road was not marked at all; I was using my Christmas-gift GPS unit and I still missed it the first time. Use Mapquest or GoogleMaps to get close and then look for the turnoff to the right that has a steep bump and heads down a hill, then it's just over the bridge.

When you are there next time, take a look at the license plates in the lot. I'd bet 75% of them are from Ohio. I am one of the many that makes the drive on a regular basis, Target World sucks.

elderboy02
01-04-2008, 22:11
When you are there next time, take a look at the license plates in the lot. I'd bet 75% of them are from Ohio. I am one of the many that makes the drive on a regular basis, Target World sucks.

Agreed. I was there last Saturday and half of the plates were from Ohio. TW sucks. Shooters Supply for the win!

huskerbuttons
01-27-2008, 01:15
A couple of guys have bought the old IGA on State St. in Harrison and are going to open a range this spring or summer at the latest. It is supposed to be a pistol and rifle range. They will get a lot of Westsiders who hate to go to Target World. I will keep everyone posted on info as it becomes available.

Brian Dover
01-27-2008, 06:40
Well that's interesting news huskerbuttons. Hope it happens. But I betcha there have been a dozen such plans made by different folks around the tri-state area, that never came to fruition. A round number that current range owners mention in regards to start-up cost is (in my best Dr. Evil impression): 'One million dollars'. And that was a year or two ago, probably higher that that by now.

It seems that between proper ventilation, setup of lead collection, adequete liability insurance, etc, there's so much more involved than just throwing up a backstop and buying target mechanism.

J_86
01-28-2008, 02:56
To bad I didn't see this post today, I would have gone to check Shooter's Supply out.
I ventured over to Target World today, but I didn't feel like sticking around for the 2 hour wait :upeyes:. Target World is less then 5 miles from where I live, but just like everyone else said it's a little ridiculous. I have yet to go there and see all lanes even working. The staff there is generally pretty friendly and helpful, but there are a few who suck.

Just my .02

WBL_MP9
01-28-2008, 21:51
I have no reason to venture to Sharonville again.

Shorter drive, no wait, and safer environment.

WBL

SVTPT92
01-29-2008, 02:47
I've been shooting up at Lauhorners the past few weekends with my new girl. The range is very nice, they allow everything (up to .50bmg)... but why one would shoot something like that for ~20 yards beats me. It's a great looking/feeling range. Nice fireplace/free coffee/movies are always on... this place is great. Wish Target World with their ridiculous prices would catch on. I don't want anyone going out of business but if they had at least "Decent" prices and a heated range would be nice...

In conclusion, if you're ever up towards Springfield I'd recommend checking out Lauhorners.

elderboy02
01-30-2008, 11:07
I have no reason to venture to Sharonville again.

Shorter drive, no wait, and safer environment.

WBL

I about freaked out one day at Target World. I turned around and some guy was decocking his 1911 and did not have the gun pointed down range. Another time, a couple females rented a gun and couldn't figure out why the gun wouldn't fire. They asked me to help them. I removed the magazine, and they didn't load any rounds. They still had a box of 50 rounds. :headscratch:

Racsan
01-31-2008, 09:33
The unsupervised environment is one reason I USED to work there. The best story dealt with one of the dis-advantaged youths who came in to shoot. He needed ammo for his "9mm" so the clerk gave him a box and sent him out.

A bit later he came back in a complained that: "the bullets were not going out of the gun far enough". I asked him what he meant and he said each time he shot it, the bullets were not making it to the target and were just falling on the floor in front of him. I thought he was most likely just missing the target (look at their ceiling and you will see how common this is) and was seeing the empty cases hit the floor so I told him to hold on and I would be out in a minute.

I finished what I was doing and then went out to the range. I stood behind him while he was shooting and sure enough, I saw the bullet exit the barrel and land on the floor about 2 feet in front of him!!! :shocked: Of course the bullet was still connected to the case!! :rofl: The fool was certain that since his hi-point wasn't a revolver, that it was a "Nine", problem was it was a .45. Somehow he had managed to get the 9mm cartridges to stay in the magazine long enough for the firing pin to push the entire cartridge out the barrel of his gun.

I grabbed his box of ammo and instructed him to come back with someone who knew what they were doing or after he got some training.

elderboy02
01-31-2008, 18:37
The unsupervised environment is one reason I USED to work there. The best story dealt with one of the dis-advantaged youths who came in to shoot. He needed ammo for his "9mm" so the clerk gave him a box and sent him out.

A bit later he came back in a complained that: "the bullets were not going out of the gun far enough". I asked him what he meant and he said each time he shot it, the bullets were not making it to the target and were just falling on the floor in front of him. I thought he was most likely just missing the target (look at their ceiling and you will see how common this is) and was seeing the empty cases hit the floor so I told him to hold on and I would be out in a minute.

I finished what I was doing and then went out to the range. I stood behind him while he was shooting and sure enough, I saw the bullet exit the barrel and land on the floor about 2 feet in front of him!!! :shocked: Of course the bullet was still connected to the case!! :rofl: The fool was certain that since his hi-point wasn't a revolver, that it was a "Nine", problem was it was a .45. Somehow he had managed to get the 9mm cartridges to stay in the magazine long enough for the firing pin to push the entire cartridge out the barrel of his gun.

I grabbed his box of ammo and instructed him to come back with someone who knew what they were doing or after he got some training.

:rollingeyes: :brickwall: What an idiot!

J_86
01-31-2008, 22:48

:faint:
That place is always good for a few laughs when you just watch people. But sometimes it's not funny, its just scary.

I know they have been around for a very long time, but it is a little disturbing how many bullet holes are RIGHT above the lanes. :shakehead:

WBL_MP9
02-01-2008, 12:16
I about freaked out one day at Target World.

I have many stories from both the range and the sales floor.

It is just not worth it.

WBL

huskerbuttons
02-02-2008, 15:19
I went to target world just last week. It will be the last time I go. The "Gangsta" wannabes kept shooting their .45 up into the ceiling just outside of the lane table. I kept having ceiling tile debris fall onto my targets. I got swept with the muzzle of their weapon several times even AFTER I warned them. Very unsafe place!