Best states for outdoor life? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best states for outdoor life?

GlockM23
05-07-2002, 02:12
Whats your idea of the best state for outdoor life? Lots of hiking potential, nice fishing and good hunting?

The reason I post is that I came from a great place offering all of the above (hawaii) to a terrible place, offering almost none of the above (south florida), and am looking at different places to go hunting and fishing for vacation. Ideally a remote spot.

badbilly429
05-07-2002, 02:26
glockm23, your more than welcome to come up to michigan and do some fishing and hunting with me anytime! its great up here!

by the way, whos the mod in this new forum ?

BIG C IN BIG D
05-07-2002, 02:27
Texas! :D

sharpshooter
05-07-2002, 02:29
Utah!!! We've got mountains, deserts, canyons, snow, rivers, trails, tons of BLM land open to shooting and 4WD! We've got rock climbing, hunting, etc etc etc. It's an outdoor enthusiast's heaven!

hikerpaddler
05-07-2002, 02:40
Tennessee, but only the Eastern half.

heyTJ
05-07-2002, 02:55
I can't say just one state, but NewEngland has every possible activity
you are looking for.

RobertJ
05-07-2002, 03:19
Fishing... I love it right where Im at FLORIDA best of fresh and salt Not to mention I live a block from east lake Toho. Hunting is not the best but its here I only dove hunt now nothing like the deer hunting in Enterprise and New Brocton AL

ewert
05-07-2002, 03:39
Well, when the ice leaves the lakes in July, Minnesota has great fishing! Nah, just kidding. The ice usually leaves about mid-April. Some great fishing in the "Land of 10,000 lakes" and some great Whitetail hunting as well. I am going out this weekend for the MN fishing opener. Walleyes and Northern Pike are on the menu!

okie
05-07-2002, 03:52
You could head to oklahoma very good fishing and hunting
very beautiful state to boot;f BTW is it true you have
to take out a bank loan for EVERYTHING you do in HawaII?

MrMunster
05-07-2002, 04:36
Have to say that my many years spent in Iowa were enjoyable. Pheasant, quail, white tail, cotton tail, coyote, turkey.....however, the winter of 2000 nearly destroyed the pheasant and quail population.

If the rules for turkey hunting were the same as they are for quail (8/day 16/possession), I could have easily shot my limit several days in a row last year.

Once the hunting is over, you can start on the bass, catfish, crappie, sun fish, walleye, northern, etc.

Of course, my sister and bro-in-law moved to Flagstaff a couple of years ago and keep telling me how great the outdoor life is out there. Of course they are bummed that they won't be able to do any camping this summer because some of the parks will be closed due to the extreme danger of forest fires.

Oh well, can't have everything.

true believer
05-07-2002, 04:37
i think the state of Pa..you have a little bit of everthing...;f
bob

MrMunster
05-07-2002, 05:01
Don't know yet. I've only been a PA resident for 45 days....

However, my in-laws on the other side of the state do have deer & turkey. Supposedly they have quail too, but I have yet to actually see one on their property.

Only thing to hunt in my area are what they refer to in Florida are "youngins", and I have yet to figure out how they get them in their game pouches.;e

glockshootist
05-07-2002, 05:04
While a long way from S Florida, the Yellowstone/Teton area (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming) is a great place to pursue the vacation activities you expressed an interest in. Even though it can be a tourist trap, there are many remote areas to play in. :)

mpol777
05-07-2002, 05:38
AZ has some great hunting.

bison
big horn sheep
black bear
elk
mule deer
whitetail
mountain lion
turkey
javelina
rabbit
ducks
quail
doves
coyote

BuckeyePPC
05-07-2002, 05:46
Hey Big C,

What the best way to start hunting in Texas. I live close to you but this will be the first year I'm able to hunt. Where do you go and what do you like to hunt ?

UtahIrishman
05-07-2002, 06:23
Utah, Idaho, Wyoming. I'm not a hunter but I love to fish and camp. Living in the Salt Lake City area it's about 45 minutes to a half-dozen different canyons all with small rivers and lakes. Idaho has some scenery and fishing that is simply awesome. The same with Wyoming. Those would be my three choices.

MrMurphy
05-07-2002, 06:57
I'm not a hunter (never got around to it yet) but Texas has pigs, deer, turkeys, all the flying gamebirds, fishing everywhere, coyotes, if you're on the coast, saltwater stuff and even crocodiles I think are legal.... plus lots of land to ride and hike on.

TheBigCA
05-07-2002, 08:29
Last time I was hunting I was a kid.

This year I purchased a hunting license, along with the fishing license.

I'm planning on Elk hunting this year. I always do lots of camping, and plan to do so this year.

Oregon is the place man!!! We have it all.

sooner pete
05-07-2002, 08:50
Theres nothing in Oklahoma to hunt or fish for,so you might as well try some where else. :rolleyes:

shrpshtr
05-07-2002, 09:22
i am kinda partial to SC. we have the longest seasons for just about everything here in the entire country. fishing is good too, salt, freshwater, and fly. you can hunt the following species:

alligators
armadillos
deer
turkey
quail
phesant
ducks
geese
woodcock
snipe
bear
coyote
hogs
rabbit
squirrel
oppossum
fox
beaver
bobcat
mink
muskrat
otter
skunk
grouse
weasel
crow

i won't even list all of the fish here.....sportman's paradise

flinch
05-07-2002, 12:21
Utah has the best fishing in the West, Wyoming is pretty darned close, but it's far harder to make a living in the Cowboy State). I never made it out to Idaho, but I've heard of some fantastic lake fishing down in the southern part of the state.

(Ignore the 2002 Olympics. It was all broadcast from a secret Hollywood location using digital manipulation. Nothing but deserts and Mormons here. Why don't you go to Colorado?)

Colorado is trying very hard to destroy the outdoor sports. In 2003, the state can't stock WD-exposed fish anywhere in the mountains, and they've only cleaned up one or two hatcheries. There's nothing like trying to catch trout in a jet-ski infested lake on the Front Range :rolleyes:. We've also discovered Chronic Wasting Disease in one of the key migratory areas on the Western Slope.

And skiing? It's combat skiing on the weekends. Next year, I think I'm going to pack a scattergun loaded with rubber buckshot.

MrMurphy
05-07-2002, 12:28
Well, fishermen could band together, get some riflemen and post a bounty on jet-skiers...... :) Just kidding. I think.

Matthew Temkin
05-07-2002, 13:35
Let's not forget New York State. Between the Catskills and Adirondacs you will never run out of wilderness hunting, fishing, hiking, canoeing, etc. No wilderness use permits, no filing your route with the rangers, no reservertions, etc. Just park the car and go.

DAVEKO
05-07-2002, 14:00
A lot of great hunting in a lot of states. Here in Arkansas you can take anything from Elk, to Whitetail deer, bear, turkey, quail, dove, ducks, geese, and all of the smaller varm. like rabbits and tree rats.
and we have quite a few vermin we can take of the flying, swimming, and four legged kind. Great bass fishing etc.... ;f

mzenzer
05-07-2002, 14:02
Louisiana

Fishing: Big Bass, Plentiful speckled trout, tons and tons of shrimp, crabs, and crawfish.

Hunting: A very healthy population of White Tail Deer, although our neighbors Texas and Mississippi have larger harvests. Boar, rabbit squirrel, world-class duck hunting and dove and quail, etc.

I live about 2 miles from New Orleans and all these game are accessible to me anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours away. Ain't it great!

G36's Rule
05-07-2002, 14:05
No doubt, TEXAS is the best state in the nation for hunting and fishing.

I would rather camp in Colorado though, especially in the summer.

duncan
05-07-2002, 15:17
Originally posted by mpol777
His list modified for WA State!
grizzly
black bear
elk (all over the place!)
moose (I hunt just 5 miles south of the Canadian border!)
mule deer (big ones!)
blacktail (plentiful)
whitetail (doe tags from nice farmers with deer problems!)
wild boar (private reserve breakouts from the 60s)
mountain lion
turkey (growing population - Stevens County holds a good 30K birds)
rabbit
ducks (all over)
quail
doves
grouse
pheasant
coyote
various varmints

Washington State has dozens of state and national parks for hunting, fishing, camping, climbing, hiking, and boating. A good 15-20 percent of the state is public lands whcih means good access to hunting grounds.

We have the best fishing in the lower 48 states. Salmon, halibut, sea bass, grouper, swordfish, trout, crab, clams, tons of freshwater fish, etc.

We've got several nice moutains with glaciers to climb!

and where else can you pet a docile orca while kayaking in the San Juan Islands?

And only a short jump to Alaska for more fun!

Love this state but it's expensive so line up your job with Boeing, Paccar, Weyerhauser, Amazon.com, or Microsoft then come over!

duncan
05-07-2002, 15:22
Originally posted by mzenzer
Louisiana
I live about 2 miles from New Orleans and all these game are accessible to me anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours away. Ain't it great! That's awesome access. I need a good 3-4 hours to get to da land!

I'd be coming into work late at least one morning a week with that kind of access just scouting and enjoying the land!

You're blessed mzenzer. Truly.

shrpshtr
05-08-2002, 00:07
Originally posted by DAVEKO
A lot of great hunting in a lot of states. Here in Arkansas you can take anything from Elk, to Whitetail deer, bear, turkey, quail, dove, ducks, geese, and all of the smaller varm. like rabbits and tree rats.
and we have quite a few vermin we can take of the flying, swimming, and four legged kind. Great bass fishing etc.... ;f

Daveko, where in Arkansas is Batesville? I usually come out there for a week or so every year to Jonesboro, Paragould, etc. (Mainly NE corner.) I have also been to Dumas and Stuttgart.

HAWGLEG
05-08-2002, 15:03
West Virginia is not only the best state for hunting in the East. It also has some of the most lenient and outstanding firearms laws.

glockandgroovin'
05-13-2002, 04:49
Having lived in south florida myself i would say that the fishing there is great but hunting is marginal at best.I now reside in W.VA,and must say that there is an over abundance of wildlife out here.Beautiful country also.

ithaca_deerslayer
05-13-2002, 06:40
Originally posted by Matthew Temkin
Let's not forget New York State. Between the Catskills and Adirondacs you will never run out of wilderness hunting, fishing, hiking, canoeing, etc.

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. Let them think the whole state is NYC.

On my little slice of heaven, I have deer, turkey, bobcat, coyote, beaver, geese, ducks, grouse, squirrel, and rabbit. A bear wouldn't surprise me because they've been sighted not too away.

kshutt
05-13-2002, 10:13
Originally posted by sooner pete
Theres nothing in Oklahoma to hunt or fish for,so you might as well try some where else. :rolleyes:

That's nonsense! I took nice 8 pt. and 10 pt. bucks during deer season, and just finished turkey season with 3 toms!

glockfoo2u
05-13-2002, 10:50
I live in the foot hills of the north cascades here in washington .I've hunted since Iwas 11 and fished since I was old enough to walk . Even thiuogh I can see the changes due to the population I still get a deer when and can be picky about it. I am 10 minutes from fishing three decint lakes and 1/2 hour from quiet a few others . I see elk and bear on a regular basis and can fish fresh or salt water any old time .You all can say wht you want but I 'll stay here.

J.P.
05-13-2002, 13:04
KSHUTT,
WAKE UP!
He's tying to keep everyone outtta' here.....more for us.;)

J. Parker
05-14-2002, 07:53
Central Washington State has some great bass and trout fishing. The entire state is good for camping, hiking, and general woods bumming.
Almost everybody in Idaho is an outdoor person of some kind. Idaho is very ATV and gun friendly. Best, John

BLiTzNicK
05-14-2002, 14:53
I'm quite fond of KY. You can find it all here. I am more of a small game hunter. I like to hunt rabbit (barbecue), and tree rats. I am also fond of bird hunting, though I seldom go. There are plenty of deer here, but I don't like the mess of cleaning them and such. I just bum deer meat from everyone else. On the opening day of deer season it sounds like WWIII at my parents place. They let everyone and their friends hunt there. BOOM BOOM BOOM, you can get quite good at 100 yd running shots where they live(joking).

Fishing is top notch as well. We've got bass, crappie, sunfish, cats, muskie, you name it, it's here. Some of our lakes have gotten bad with skiers and the like, but there's always a quite fishing hole to be had.

Oh, wait, nevermind. I made all this up, DO NOT COME HERE, we don't want to be infiltrated buy any pinko, commie, nipple tweakers.;f

forthehalibut
05-16-2002, 15:30
Originally posted by flinch
Utah has the best fishing in the West, Wyoming is pretty darned close, but it's far harder to make a living in the Cowboy State). I never made it out to Idaho, but I've heard of some fantastic lake fishing down in the southern part of the state.

(Ignore the 2002 Olympics. It was all broadcast from a secret Hollywood location using digital manipulation. Nothing but deserts and Mormons here. Why don't you go to Colorado?)

Colorado is trying very hard to destroy the outdoor sports. In 2003, the state can't stock WD-exposed fish anywhere in the mountains, and they've only cleaned up one or two hatcheries. There's nothing like trying to catch trout in a jet-ski infested lake on the Front Range :rolleyes:. We've also discovered Chronic Wasting Disease in one of the key migratory areas on the Western Slope.

And skiing? It's combat skiing on the weekends. Next year, I think I'm going to pack a scattergun loaded with rubber buckshot.

I agree with you about what they are doing here in Colorado. There is a lot of great hunting/fishing here, though. Go up around Dinosaur and you can't help but run into herds of deer and elk. It is really sad about the Cronic Wasting Disease--is really hurting the deer population. Other states, and even Canadian people are coming here, because the guys dealing with CWD here are considered the "experts" due to them dealing with so many for so long.

IMHO, I believe Alaska would be the best for hunting and fishing (would love to catch one of them King Salmon).;a ;a

ATL Peach Girl
05-16-2002, 17:51
By all means ANY of the western states!!!!

Colorado
Wyoming
Idaho
Utah
Montana

I have been to all of them, and NOTHING out east here compares!!!Great camping, hiking, trout fishing, skiing abound in all listed!!

steelerfan
05-18-2002, 00:28
West Virginia........Almost Heaven.

smeet5150
05-20-2002, 15:17
The Commonwealth of KENTUCKY is heaven on earth. best multi-use state in the good ole United States.

Fly2stsumwhere
05-21-2002, 21:22
I must second the KENTUCKY boys opinions. Especially WESTERN
KY. I have a home on beautiful KY Lake (2300 miles of shoreline
and the best crappie fishing in America) and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING!!!!! It's where I go almost every weekend and on all my vacations. Just can't get enough of it. Heaven on Earth......

Check out www.lbl.org and also do a search for "Kentucky Lake" and check out all the beauty.

BTW we also have some of the very best gun laws in America.

Born and raised there, will retire and die there........

Sharker
05-23-2002, 07:58
I am amazed that no one said alaska... I have never been but plan to go this summer. It is supposed to be one of those places you go to then never come back. I live in Florida and can attest to the fishing... AWESOME>>> But as far as hunting goes not only is it aweful, You are considered a BEAST for killing an animal by the liberals. I hunt every year in Maine. Its awesome deer hunting.. very challenging, but I really want to hunt in Wyoming or Colorado for some elk. Moose are to dumb to be a challenge in Maine so I will wait till I get to Alaska to try them out this year. Where ever you go be sure to get some local knowledge... Thats the biggest problem I have... finding someone willing to point me in the right direction.
Oh and someday i will be after a Griz.

Grey Wolf
05-26-2002, 02:46
Originally posted by BuckeyePPC

What the best way to start hunting in Texas.

Buckeye,
I would say the best way to start here is get a second job just for the licenses and other costs. Seems to me like your have to pay out the ***** to hunt anywhere here in Texas. Whether it is for a lease or license. Then it is damn near impossible to find anything
worth hunting on public land.. least ways around here.

On the other hand there are a lot of species open to hunting. Year round hog hunting will be missed once I leave.

Can't wait to get back to Michigan.. the Sportsman's Paradise(where $14 and you'll get some change back from your deer permit!)

Later

Grey Wolf

G36's Rule
05-26-2002, 03:10
Originally posted by Grey Wolf

Buckeye,
I would say the best way to start here is get a second job just for the licenses and other costs. Seems to me like your have to pay out the ***** to hunt anywhere here in Texas. Whether it is for a lease or license. Then it is damn near impossible to find anything
worth hunting on public land.. least ways around here.

On the other hand there are a lot of species open to hunting. Year round hog hunting will be missed once I leave.

Can't wait to get back to Michigan.. the Sportsman's Paradise(where $14 and you'll get some change back from your deer permit!)

Later

Grey Wolf

You are joking, right???

$19 in Texas will get you your Resident Hunting License. With that, you kill 5 deer, 2 Javelina, 2 Mule Deer, 4 turkey (with $8 stamp). You can hunt Quail, Mourning dove, squirrel, rabbit and all the varmints you want. Plus all the hogs you want.

For $49, you can get all the appropriate stamps, except federal migratory waterfowl, your hunting license and fishing license all rolled into one. That is dirt cheap and we have liberal limits compared to most other states. Plus our deer season last 2 1/2 months in some counties.

Texas is about 95% private land, so you will have to get a lease if you want to do any serious hunting. But that has its own advantages too. I've hunted in other states with a lot of public land. They will pay as much as I do for a resident license, and it will only be good in certain units for a short time for one animal.

My uncle lives in Florida, and he hunts on the public land sometimes. He much prefers to come to Texas, pay the lease and out of state license fee ($250) and do some real hunting.

forthehalibut
05-26-2002, 09:50
Originally posted by Sharker
I am amazed that no one said alaska... I have never been but plan to go this summer. It is supposed to be one of those places you go to then never come back. I live in Florida and can attest to the fishing... AWESOME>>> But as far as hunting goes not only is it aweful, You are considered a BEAST for killing an animal by the liberals. I hunt every year in Maine. Its awesome deer hunting.. very challenging, but I really want to hunt in Wyoming or Colorado for some elk. Moose are to dumb to be a challenge in Maine so I will wait till I get to Alaska to try them out this year. Where ever you go be sure to get some local knowledge... Thats the biggest problem I have... finding someone willing to point me in the right direction.
Oh and someday i will be after a Griz.

I did mention Alaska- in my previous post to this thread.

I am looking forward to gettting a griz myself someday soon.:D

ErictheWiseman
05-26-2002, 10:22
I am from Wisconsin (19 years), it is absolutley beautiful...great fishing from bass to muskie to all sorts of panfish. Great for camping and hiking. The winters are very harsh though, but once you get used to them you can have just as much fun in the white stuff as the hot summer days. Great hunting, very large trophy deer, black bear, etc. I lived in Wsshington state for 3.5 years...and this state is absolutely beautiful. Great for all sorts of hunting, fishing, any out door activity. I went camping in Port Angelas, WA with a bunch of Army buddies and it was by far the most beautiful scenery I have ever scene out over the ocean. I love Wshington and trying to decide if I want to live their or Wisconsin...I love them both. I am currently in the state of Kentucky (Middle to Western area), I agree with the above comments about Kentucky great for just about everything. These are my favorite but I have been in most of the 50 states and IMO these are the best.

05-26-2002, 11:03
West by god Virginia!!! Lots of opportunity for outdoorsmen.

05-28-2002, 02:01
North Carolina isn't too bad.

rfb45colt
06-03-2002, 10:17
There's lots of rumors about my state (WI) having good fishing. They say there are muskies over 60lbs, and in my county there are 1,400 lakes to fish in (and only 19,000 full time residents). Not true. No fish. No walleyes. No pike. No bass. Don't come here.... please.

There's rumors about the hunting too. Hogwash. Don't believe a word when you hear that in the 2000 deer season, we killed almost 700,000 deer (I only got 4 with a handgun and 1 with a bow... see what I mean?), an all time record for the whole USA. Garbage. There's no deer here!!! Stay away. No ducks either, and that crap about WI having the most members in DU is bunk. No geese either. When the sun gets blotted out in Horican Marsh, it's from the clouds, not the birds. Stay away... don't waste your time coming here. Just because 75% of the land north of highway 8 (about the northern 1/4 of the state) is open to public hunting, fishing, camping, hiking... that doesn't mean there's room for you all!!! It's ours... keep out. ;f

The winters are brutal. Snow up to your arse. Those 50,000 miles of groomed snowmobile trails are just an illusion. They're really not there.
Go somewhere else. ;f

Rob19
06-04-2002, 09:46
Originally posted by shrpshtr
armadillos
.....sportman's paradise
hmmm...never thought about hunting an armadillo...sounds interesting.
Indiana is ok, but you have to drive a ways if you live in Indianapolis.