Engine additive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Engine additive

Clyde in CO
11-19-2007, 16:36
So my car burns oil. Not badly and not all the time, it just throws some smoke when I start it up.

What is the GT recommended fuel additive to combat smoke?

I did some searching but there are a million brands on the market, so tell me if there's that has worked for you.

(insert obligatory jambog apology here)

end of line

mitchshrader
11-19-2007, 16:44
how many miles on what kind of motor?

when did you change your oil last and what kind is it?

how hot is it where you are?

in the winter, a new multi-grade oil is fine. 10-40 or maybe 15-50 if you've got a real BAD smoker (but you may need to use a block heater to keep it startable) ..

in the summer 20-50 if you're religious about changing it for winter and it's real warm where you are..

the right oil matters. don't fuss about with additives unless it's Really Bad. just make sure you have a heavy multigrade for the application (temp) and change it when it breaks. (2000-3000 miles maybe for conventional multigrade oils) You can tell when it starts to smoke again. if it's just got carboned valves you might can clean it out a bit, but what sort of motor, what age & technology, matters.

motor flush (kerosene) before changing the oil helps cut varnish and get it clean clean.. worth doing every couple years maybe..

beemerphile
11-19-2007, 19:28
No fuel additive is likely to help oil burning at start-up. Normally oil burning at start-up is worn valve guides. Oil burning under load is usually rings. Oil smoke out the breather (or through the PCV valve into the engine) is usually worn bottom end (bearings). Sometimes valve guides can be replaced without removing the heads by holding the valve up with compressed air through the spark plug hole while you do the surgery topside.

Pour stuff in the gas if you wish, but don't expect much more than a lighter wallet. If instead of oil burning, if it is carbon build-up as one poster opined, you might try some Techron additive. But Techron (or the others) won't do squat if it is oil past the valve guides) - Lee

cs133atom
11-19-2007, 19:45
Religiously use BG44K by BG Products. Give it a shot.

Craig

Clem Eastwood
11-20-2007, 03:15
probably needs valve seals and/or valveguides. just fix it or keep adding oil, additives can cause more problems then they solve, if they solve the problem at all.

G30Big
11-20-2007, 05:19
No doubt it's smoking because seals are deteriorating or parts are worn. Oil smoke at startup is usually due to oil leaking down the valve seals after the car is shut down.

I would do the following:
1) change the oil and filter with a good quality dino oil like Valvoline 10-40 all climate. This oil has excellent additives for keeping the engine clean and healthy.

2) add an oil additive "stop leak" product from a major company - the local auto parts store can recommend one based on what is available in your area. This is a pint-sized additive that will help to refresh your seals and soften them up a little bit in case they are becoming brittle.

3) drive the car for a few weeks and keep checking your oil level and watch for smoking. This may help solve the problem, but if not then I would go to step 4...

4) if you are using dino oil I would add one can of STP oil treatment to my oil at every oil change. This stuff is magic in that it will help your oil seal better and help your seals.

5) If none of this has helped, I would try one more thing... going to synthetic oil. I would use Rotella Synthetic which is available at Wal-Mart and costs about $16 per gallon. Change the filter too. This stuff works great and may solve the problem or at least slow down on the amount of smoke.

Let us know if any of this works....good luck