99 Dodge Minivan auto trans converter locking... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 99 Dodge Minivan auto trans converter locking...

G30Big
11-19-2007, 21:13
I was driving along tonight and felt kind of a small shudder when the van upshifted. I was going 45mph and wasn't sure what had happenned. I would find out soon. As I approached a light the car did not coast... my torque converter was locked-up.

I drove a few more miles to my destination and could not get the car to start when time to head home. I would slip it into "D" or "R" and the van would stall. I finally got it going forward and had to drive in first with flashers to get home (10 miles through neighborhoods).

Symptoms: torque converter seems locked up. When I put it in gear at a stop the engine stalls. It happens for forward and reverse. When I slow down the engine starts to buck like a stick shift at 15 miles per hour in high gear.

Other info: 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L engine, auto trans, 190k miles, everything works well and no leaks or noises (until tonight).

How do I fix this? My crummy manual mentions a torque converter lockup soleniod.

thanks in advance...

AutomotiveTech
12-06-2007, 17:23
The only cause I have seen for what you describe is the torque converter mechanically failed. Unfortunately, the fix is a new torque converter.