Ford 5.4 Litre Triton V-8 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ford 5.4 Litre Triton V-8

LarryNC
11-19-2007, 20:53
Hello everyone. I just have a question regarding this particular engine. It comes in two different configurations that I am aware of. One is a regular gasoline engine and the other is a flex-fuel engine. I am wondering if the Flex-fuel engine is just another example of "just more to go wrong." Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience with this engine? I am thinking of an F-150 and was just wanting some feedback. Thanks in advance for any of your replies.

IslandHopper
11-20-2007, 15:11
I've the gasoline only version in my Excursion... It's been a fantastic engine for me.
I've done nothing but regular oil changes as the thing is still running strong 8 years later! It even gets decent (for it's size) mileage if you can keep your foot out of it :)... I get about 14mpg at 75mph, but if I can make myself throttle back to 60 it'll get almost 18! Pretty good for a truck that size.

I don't know that there is any "more" to go wrong with the flex-fuel version... it's MOSTLY just a different program for the engine control computer, and i suppose some different sensors... but not really any net increase in mechanical complexity.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. (I've also got the V-10 version in my RV ... same flawless performance, with half the mpg :) )

LarryNC
11-21-2007, 19:17
Thanks for the feedback IslandHopper. I do appreciate the information. I've been a Ford truck fan for a long time now.

Warp
11-30-2007, 21:18
Did you get a truck yet?

I havn't owned a 5.4L but from everything I have read and everyoen I have talked to it is a good engine. Be carefull changing the plugs, though....

walkin' trails
12-02-2007, 17:55
I didn't know that Ford offered a 5.4 flex fuel. I think all it amounts to is making the fuel pump and filter compatable with ethanol. I've got a 260 HP 5.4 in my 03 Expedition and it had performed reliably. With a K&N air filter, a Gibson cat-back exhaust, and 3.73 gears (its 4X4), I've even managed to get close to 19 mpg on the highway once or twice.

bps72
12-02-2007, 19:06
Hello everyone. I just have a question regarding this particular engine. It comes in two different configurations that I am aware of. One is a regular gasoline engine and the other is a flex-fuel engine. I am wondering if the Flex-fuel engine is just another example of "just more to go wrong." Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience with this engine? I am thinking of an F-150 and was just wanting some feedback. Thanks in advance for any of your replies.

The flex-fuel version is one more thing to go right, since the entire fuel system must be extra corrosion-resistant to cope with EtOH and the ECU program is pretty much just software. I'm not even sure there are any extra sensors involved, just how the computer interprets the existing data collection to decide what fuel it is burning.

Glock25
12-04-2007, 14:47
There are a bunch of flex fuel engines here in Brazil and I've never heard about problems with them. Ours are usually 1 to 2 liter 4 cyl, though.

streeter69
12-09-2007, 10:32
Don't worry about it flex fuel it is mainly a few componants added with an upgrade it the fuel seals and computer upgrades to burn differant fuels. As far as spark plugs are concerned do NOT worry as that problem was fixed back in late 1999/2000 range. I drive a mustang GT with minor mods and if I keep the car at 80 I pull down a good 25mpg:wow:

kat1950
12-18-2007, 19:04
Boy you guys got good milage, I had a 2005 150 4X4 FX with the 5.4 engine stock, and was lucky to get 11.8 miles to gallon with empty truck on the freeway at 75 miles per hour, I traded in on F350 diesel, just drove from Fort Myers to Orlando last night(about 225 miles) at 75 miles per hour and got 20.1 miles to gallon., thats what the computer was telling me, jived with the amount of fuel I used.

IslandHopper
12-18-2007, 20:52
Spinning the extra gearing associated with 4x4 (even with the xfer case in neutral) is bound to sap a couple mpg's. ... It's probably geared higher in the rear than my 2x4 also.

ms1600
12-21-2007, 11:55
I have a 1999 Expedition with the 5.4L. Spit out a spark plug last summer towing my camper. My mechanic was able to use a helicoil to fix it. Don't know anything about the flex fuel 5.4L. I think Ford fixed the problem in 2004. The newer trucks now have twice as long spark plugs.

LarryNC
12-22-2007, 08:41
Thanks for all the information and the feedback guys. No, I have not bought anything yet. Still researching for now.