What type of dept do you work for? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What type of dept do you work for?

jdfire43
11-20-2007, 09:43
Private, county, fire/ems, just ems? Have you worked at more than one, if so which do you like better?

I've been with a county fire/rescue dept. for almost 6 years now. I started out in the county next to me that was also a county dept., but it was just an ems service. I worked there for 3 years. I love the fire/rescue service.

Not sure if it belongs in the same thread, but is your dept union or non-union? We are union.

lomfs24
11-20-2007, 10:30
I currently belong to three departments.
1). My real job is a private fire department in a private community. We have a 7 man shift, and we work 48 hrs on and 4 days off. It's a pretty sweet schedule. We do fire/EMS/hazmat. We have virtually no backup. The closest department will come help if the right people are on shift there and if they aren't busy.
2). I am on a small rural volunteer fire department. We do fire and some basic level EMS. We have a rig we call a QRU (quick response unit) It will do light fire work, has a mounted hydraulic unit for the jaws and is outfitted with EMS supplies.
3). I am on an ambulance service in the next town over. Also a volunteer service. Usually we will pick someone up, transport to the local hospital, they will get stabilized there and then transported to a larger regional hospital an hour+ away.

DepChief
11-21-2007, 17:36
I work fulltime for a County EMS system that provides just EMS service. I volunteer for one of the 15 Fire Departments in our county that is a combination dept that provides ALS first response. All patient transport is done by the county ambulances.

RyanNREMTP
11-21-2007, 18:09
I work full time for a hospital based system that bidded out and now runs most of the county I live in.

DaleGribble
11-21-2007, 18:21
I work full time for a county run EMS service. All we do is 911 EMS calls. We don't do fire and we don't do non-emergent granny runs.

I don't volunteer anywhere and I don't have a second job.

D25
11-21-2007, 21:05
I started out on a vollie Fire/ EMS department.

Then I worked full time at a combination Fire/ EMS department with 6 paid guys and around 30 volunteers. I still cover a shift there from time to time.

Now I work for a private company that does ground and air, and am on a SAR team.

I enjoy each and every one, but my current place is my favorite. It is a higher call volume, and very rural, so you are on your own, plus the flying is very rewarding- both financially and the fact that those patients are typically quite FUBARd. Granny doesn't get to go via air for a UTI. I do miss the fires, but SAR keeps the rescue juices flowing.

hotpig
11-21-2007, 22:36
Full time job. Combination Fire Protection District with 7 career 25 volunteers. The county has a total of 32 fire departments counting industrial fire departments. I'm assigned to the ATF Metro Arson Task Force when needed.

Three cities are all career and Olin/Winchester has a career Department.

There is one poc airport fire brigade, two oil refineries and one steel mill fire brigade.

Seven combination departments and 17 volunteer departments.

I work part time at a County funded, hospital based career ALS Ambulance Service. We also run ALS Intercept to the neighboring Counties volunteer BLS Ambulances.

I also work as a Auxiliary Police Officer in a neighboring County.

miked36258
11-21-2007, 23:19

eng23ine
11-22-2007, 16:41
I work at a career city fire dept, we do fire, first responder(emt-b), hazmat, and usar. 24\48 shift.

I volunteer at a small rural FD which does fire and first responder.

I also help out at the local rescue squad when they need me.

pulaskipusher
11-22-2007, 16:54
My dept is %100 volunteer We have a paid administrative Chief who also volunteers for fires. We are small and rural, two stations built with a third on the way, both stations are under some sort of construction, my station being almost completed (still need trim and finishing touchs), and station 1 being expanded by 2000-2500? Sq Ft. We have 13 active volunteers, three tenders, three engines, one support, one brush truck, and the chief's rig. No EMS on our Dept, the county runs that, I'll be driving for them in the Spring and should be an EMT for them next summer.
There are 5 departments in my county including city, all and all I believe there are 2-3 paid officers on call, everyone else is on a points system.
EMS runs 2 ambulances out of the city, one ambulance stationed out of town on the northside, and a light rescue truck.

paramediclane
12-01-2007, 07:23
I am the Training Officer for a county based ems service. we have 30 employees and run 4 full time als units at all times. we are also a training facility for several of the colleges in our area. we work 24/48 shifts.

Fireman1291
12-01-2007, 09:53
I volunteered for 3 years for a county Fire/EMS and then once my schooling was done I was hired by the county for carrer FF/EMT. The county is 745sq mi large with 25 stations and more on the way, we have over 400 field FF/EMT-medics. 3 shifts A,B,C working 24/48's. Union local 4420.

Forgot to add Im also a member of SERT. A high angle and confined space team for the county.

www.pascocountyfire.com

mtncat
12-01-2007, 17:53
All volunteer. We run fire/rescue/basic EMS. The majority of our runs are EMS and rescue(low/high angle rescue, MVA's etc) we also do "paid" fire work during the wildland season as needed with the USFS and State Forestry.
Have 4 stations, run a total of 14 various units.

rk246
12-02-2007, 21:34
Full time paid, Fire department, we do run medicals but only from trucks and engines, we don't transport nor do we want to. I transported for awhile with a couple other places, it is nice to leave the call and go back to bed.

lthrbound
12-02-2007, 22:52
Private ambulance, 911 and crappy granny runs. I fortunatly work for a city that has all volly/BLS fire. And have a modified kelly's at a 911 only station, lucky you could say. Part time EMS for hospital based system, only 911.

kc4zgk
12-04-2007, 08:20
I work for a very unique department. The city of Roswell, Georgia in Fulton county has a population of 95,000. The department has full time administrative staff which includes the Chief and 4 assistants as well as a fire marshals department with 6 inspectors / arson investigators. Our department runs all ALS apparatus ( all Supthen ) which includes ( 2 ) Sutphen105 towers, ( 1 ) 75 Quint, ( 7 ) engines. We also run a Hazmat unit, as well a Special Operations truck , ( 2 ) Air and Light units, 1 Tanker, 1 Brush Truck and ( 4 ) ALS rescues. Now here is the unique part we have 145 Fire Fighters from first responders to EMT-P and we are ALL part time paid. The department allows you to work up to ( 18 ) 12 hour shifts $ 13.85 per hour with time and a half on holidays. We schedule ourselves the month before and rotate between our 6 stations. The majority of our personnel are City of Atlanta and DeKalb County Fire Fighters. There are about 20 of us who work a 8-5 elsewhere, myself included. We are also paid on call by the hour for the duration of a call if we respond P.O.V. ( red light permit issued by the state ). This arrangement saves the taxpayers a great deal of money due to no benefits other than life and disability as well as workers comp. as well as providing us with a very nice second income. Stay safe!!!

Ed FF / EMT-I

kc4zgk
12-04-2007, 08:21
Sorry, I double posted and am not sure how to delete!!!

1985 4Runner
12-04-2007, 20:48
Full-time paid Fire Dept.
Fire/Medics but we do not transport medicals.

Very aggressive Dept., lots of training, good equipment, great people & job. I love it.

Bravo6
12-10-2007, 23:08
I work for a private ambulance service. We do run 911 calls but I spend a lot of time GOMER toting as well. Trying to get into a medic program around here, and also trying to get assigned to one of our dedicated county 911 BLS units...

DScottHewitt
12-15-2007, 22:51
Private ambulance service for pay.
Volunteer at a fire ONLY department. Do EMS at our neighboring volunteer department.....

Scott

Thaibeard
12-20-2007, 05:56
ER nurse. So technically we're a front line provider though not in the field.

Like in the field, we don't know too much about the patient so we're continually exposed to outgassing, contageous diseases, etc. before the patient is worked up and has labs run.

We get all the front line provider meds and immunizations and provisions are made for our families to get meds as well.

As learned in the Katrina situtation. Front line guys may opt to not respond because their first inclinations may be to take care of family first, then job second.

Knowing this our employer has provisions for families, so we can do our jobs.

Stopdropnroll
12-23-2007, 18:03
I am a career Firefighter Paramedic for a small combination department (9 career, 25 vols, 3 stations, 65 sq. miles)

We are a remote rural fire protection district along Highway 26 going up to Mt. Hood's Ski Resorts, in Oregon. Our station is staffed by 3-4 career staff 6:30am to 6:30pm and is all volunteer after 6:30pm. We run about 700 calls a a year.

I love this place.

sandhiller
12-23-2007, 22:29
I belong to an all volunteer fire dept. We have 25 active members. Two are EMS. I am the sec / treas / truck fabricator. A core group of us either enjoy the hard work, time involved and camraderie (sp?) or feel more of a responsibility to protect life and property. I do not know which. I know us vollie's are looked down upon by the full time guys but that is okay. We are what we are and are not looking for praise. When we have a fire or MVA in our district or are mutual aided to a surrounding district we are needed and are glad to be able to help. Up until this last spring I drove my own personal pickup with 425 gal skid unit to fires (as 5 others still do). I was able to build a 6x6 we acquired from the Forest Service and that really helps as it is damn hard on outfits here. Well, didn't mean any disrespect or rant, nor am I looking for sympathy, sometimes just wonder if it is worth it. Tomorrow I will go on and pray we don't get called out, but know if we do, we will drop what we are doing and respond to the best of our ability.

pulaskipusher
12-24-2007, 00:02
sandhiller I feel your pain brother, us vollies will always catch flak from the full timers. But hey if we were in it for glory we are in the wrong dept :) For me it's about helping out others and the camraderie, plain and simple.

DScottHewitt
12-27-2007, 11:08
Career Firefighter Paramedic for a small combination department (9 career, 25 vols, 3 stations, 65 sq. miles)

We are a remote rural fire protection district along Highway 26 going up to Mt. Hood's Ski Resorts, in Oregon.

Nice ride.

Our new tanker:

Sucka
12-27-2007, 14:20
I worked for AMR (private) which was pretty bad. Pay was awful, and moral was always low.

I then worked for City Fire/EMS. It is a good department, good group of guys. 4 engines, 1 truck company, 3 medic units. All ALS, 3 FF per engine. Everyone full time "professional firefighters" or whatever you want to call them.

Stopdropnroll
12-27-2007, 16:12
Scott,

Good looking rig, Good to see fire rated pumps and even a cross lay or two... but a deck gun? Was this designed by committee? :supergrin:

miked36258
12-27-2007, 20:14

abrogan
12-28-2007, 11:51
I work full time as a FF/Medic for a city FD, population of about 24,000 & there's close to 800 businesses. We have 30 FT and around 30 PT. All FT are FF/Medics at the minimum, while PT can be fire only, EMS only, or a combo of the two. Our department is Union and we are working towards an all FT department.

MedivacRN
01-06-2008, 01:39
I work for a private air ambulance company. This is my first post, but I've been lurking around the site for a while now.

IAFirNaTine
01-06-2008, 12:52
Work for a Fire based EMS. Town of about 25,000 . 1 station staff two engines 1 truck and 2 ALS ambulances. Avg about 16 runs a day. 3 battalions with 13 a piece. Work the California swing shift. ( work a day, off a day, work a day, off a day, work a day, off for 4 days). Love it. Do alot of distance transfers on our days off so lots of overtime :)

Short Bus
01-15-2008, 20:11
I work for a county based EMS. Full time, we run 8 trucks around the clock, and Monday through Friday 9-5 we put on 3 slug buggies and 1 more ALS truck. Several QRVs for the supervisors and training officers and such. I also am a HazMat tech and a Rescue Tech. I have done vol Fire Rescue work and been an Asst Chief on rescue. Do Ski patrol in the winters as well. Part time I work in an urgent care.

1bamashooter
01-15-2008, 20:29
I work for Emergystat Ambulance (private) in a rural area of Alabama. We have 911 in Perry Co. Al, we run 2 24 hr ALS trucks averaging 200 calls a month. The company sux little pay and poor equipment but I get off when I want and we don't run many calls.

frankiefire
01-19-2008, 06:44
I am a Philadelphia Firefighter. I am an ARFF firefighter at Philadelphia International Airport. We have have 4 oshkosh crash trucks, one of them being the Stryker 3000. We also have a KME quint and a Seagrave Ford f550 with a 300 gallon pump. We also have a cheif and medic unit.

fjnardo
01-22-2008, 19:45
Fulltime with 51 Firefighter/Paramedics out of 3 stations

Run about 4500 calls a year

huskerbuttons
01-25-2008, 12:29
We are a county 3rd service, Paramedic only, ALS tiered response department. We use SUV's to respond to ALS only calls with the local BLS FD's. We transport with the BLS department to the hospital. We have the most aggresive protocols in our area and our Medical Director is out there running calls with us. This is the best job I have ever had!

T_TownGLOCK22
01-25-2008, 19:52
Full time paid FF. 400+ FF's Medic tx's only no bls transports. we have private ambulance for that

Sucka
01-25-2008, 23:16
We are a county 3rd service, Paramedic only, ALS tiered response department. We use SUV's to respond to ALS only calls with the local BLS FD's. We transport with the BLS department to the hospital. We have the most aggresive protocols in our area and our Medical Director is out there running calls with us. This is the best job I have ever had!

That sounds awsome. Why do you say good protocols though? Where i come from, i felt we had our hands tied as most of our protocols were BH/BHPO orders, that changed over a year ago when most protocols went to SO which was great. One of the most important parts of my job was being a good/having your partner be a good radio man, which sucked. Nothing worse than being on scene and having one of the medics tied up on the radio. I'm just curious what you mean by that.

huskerbuttons
01-26-2008, 22:31
Our region had a very restricted protocol and the medics were limited in what they could do without calling for an order. They had to call for an Albuterol treatment!! Right before I came to work here our department changed Medical Directors and he put forth an aggresive SO protocol. We have RSI, CPAP, Adult IO, 12 Lead transmit, etc. This was unheard of in the region where I work. Now most of the region is up to the same level. By the way, we are by ourself in the SUV, no partner. We have divided the district up in to 4 sectors, with one medic in each sector. When a call comes out the 2 closest medics respond, each in their suv, to the call. If we need both medics on the call, they will transport in with the BLS crew. If only one is needed the the other goes back in service. We are stationed at the local FD's. We run about 2500 ALS calls a year and we are in a semi rural area.

ashtxsniper
01-28-2008, 11:40
I work county Fire/Rescue and am currently going through the LEO academy.

mlanush
01-28-2008, 14:05
all volunteer, I think 150+, city only, we run everything except EMS, 9 stations usually 2-3 apparatus per station, we only have a paid chief............

lvfcfirefighter
02-05-2008, 16:53
Our Fire Dept is 100% volunteer. We are in Pittsburgh PA. I also work in the communications center for a major air medical service in our area. Also a casual EMT for a private ambulance service.

ZootTX
02-05-2008, 21:35
Work for a career FD, we also run ALS EMS.
Before that I ran private EMS and volunteered at the FD

Stinkyrat
02-14-2008, 08:45
We used to be a County station doing fire/rescue but just this last year we integrated in with the city to form KVFR here in the Kittitas valley.

Fun stuff!

Stinkyrat