Need advice on Wii accesories..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Wii accesories.....

lwt210
11-20-2007, 11:35
Okay, my eight year old has been wanting a Wii since before last Christmas. I was in Walmart one day and walked by the aisle where they are always sold out and found five of them. One credit card swipe later and I had it in my possession. It's hiding in the closet till Santa can wrap it and throw it under the tree.

My problem is I haven't got a clue what to get him accessory wise. I need recommendations bad. I figured on getting him an additional controler for two player action but don't konw if I need both the regular controller and a nunchuck or just the one.

He is also wanting the new Need for Speed so I was thinking of getting the little steering wheel that the remote clips onto if they are any good.

He has a Gamecube and about 10 or 11 games that he is planning on playing on the Wii. He has one memory card for the gamecube. Will it work on the Wii or do I need to go ahead and get a memory card for the Wii (assuming it doesn't come with one).

Basically, I am clueless with this one. I am also under the assumption that the wireless controller that he has for his GameCube will work on the Wii but just on GC games.

Correct me and lead me down this path if needed.

Thanks in advance.

insanity.
11-21-2007, 00:17
You should get him a game called Wii Play, it comes with an extra controller and a game with a few mini games on it that are quite fun. You would also have to get a extra nunchuck to have a complete extra controller system.

I have never used the steering wheel thing but have played a racing game and the steering wheel in my opinion looks like it would be worthless. In excite truck you didnt steer the controller like a car but lifted one edge in the opposite way you wanted to steer.. kind of like \ to steer right.

Did the wireless gamecube controller come with a thing that plugs into the game cube slot for it to connect or how did that work out? There are slots on top of the Wii for game cube controllers and memory cards to plug in to. The Wii system has its own memory and has a place for SD cards to plug in if you just wanted to save the stuff on it.

gr81disp
11-21-2007, 05:27
1. Wii Play and an extra nunchuck.

2. The rechargable batteries and charger (about $30)

3. The Wave Bird (wireless GC controller) and memory card will work, they plug into slots on top of the Wii hidden under hinged covers.

4. Buy Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, decide it is too mature for him (it isn't) and play it yourself wasting hours.

gr81disp
11-21-2007, 05:28
Go to http://wii.ign.com for game reviews and ideas on what to buy.

Roro
11-22-2007, 13:05
lets go shopping! I know you're a little old for knowing what's what in gaming but I can help. :)

you might even get some exercise while Wiing

insanity.
11-22-2007, 13:12
you might even get some exercise while Wiing

Play that boxing game that comes with it for about 30 minutes or so... dead arms!

Scottsdale Thug
11-23-2007, 23:04
+1 for the Wii Play. It is $10 more than a Wii-mote by itself and you get 9 Mini games with it sooo.... If you have to buy another controller you might as well get this and get the 9 games for $10
Nunchuck? Sure.. why not? There are games out there that you MUST have one for so if you are getting an extra Wii-mote why not get an extra Nunchuck so you have a complete pair.
Need For Steering? The Wii-mote is motion sensitive. Like insanity. said, you hold the Wii-mote in your hands sideways like and steer it that way. The only reason for the steering wheel is to give the controller a little bulk and round it out so it feels more realistic. It all comes down to personal preference.... if you think he'll like it, get it.
What was I talking about?You will need a Game Cube Memory Card to store Game Cube game save data. The console comes with 512MB internal flash memory, however you MUST have the GC memory card to save GC data. There are 2 GC memory card slots and 4 GC controller ports.

If he is into his media (I know he is 8 but these days...) you might want to consider purchasing an extra memory card for the Wii. The Wii supports both digital photos and digital music that will fill up his 512 internal real quick. The Wii accepts the "SD" type flash memory card. This is the same type that some digital cameras use. Nintendo makes a 1gig card for $35 and a 2gig for $49 but you can use any "SD" type card so shop around. Again he does not need this for regular gaming, only for photos, music or "Virtual Console" downloads. VC=Classic Nintendo, Super NES and N64 games can be downloaded from the Wii Marketplace
Hhhhhmmmmmmmm........ what else?GameStop has a package with Link's Crossbow Training (http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/linkscrossbowtraining/review.html?page=1&sid=6183202&part=rss&subj=6183202) (Shooting Game) and a Wii Zapper (http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/13/wii-zapper-hands-on/). I think it is the better of the two "light guns" made for the Wii's controllers.
The Zapper can be used for other games like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Medal of Honor Heroes 2. (For the older crowd but...)

They make controller "skins" and "gloves" that you put on the controllers to tell them apart (different colors/designs).

That's about all that I can think of. There is alot of accessories out there.... some of them are pretty cool and others are crap. Ask your friendly Game Adviser for their thoughts on a particular item that you are interested in or... I'm always happy with a gift card.

Hope that helps
_Scottsdale

Scottsdale Thug
11-23-2007, 23:07
It's late and I'm tired

If any of the above does not make sense feel free to PM (http://glocktalk.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=78839) me.

jason10mm
11-26-2007, 08:45
There is an "accessories pack" out there that has a lot of plastic shells for the wii-mote. Stuff like a tennis racket, golf club, etc. These do NOTHING other than increase the immersion when playing specific games. But since they are just shells they are pretty cheap and your kid might enjoy having a prop more realistic than the wii-mote.

The zapper is also just a shell, but it is cheap and comes with a decent game, so why not? Alas it works rather poorly as a firearm. I'm hoping someone makes a Time Crisis game for the wii with a real gun shell (or even better, a MP-5 shell for that submachine gun time crisis style game!). But since the wii-mote uses the IR sensor to predict your aim rather than actual screen sampling, I'm not sure how precise it can really be.

edcrosbys
11-27-2007, 19:30
I have a 4 yr old and a 9 yr old. Here is the order I would get some things:

Wii Play Bundle (with extra wiimote) - awesome games and makes things 2 player
Wiimote jackets (free) - keeps them from breaking when dropped
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/jacket/jacketrequest.jsp
Some Wii Points - to download a few old school mario games (internet access required)

My girls like Cooking Mama Cook off ALOT, but I don't know if your nephew would. We spend most of the time playing Mario, Bowling, Golf or Tennis (3 of 4 in WiiPlay). The GC controller will work on the Wii.

malkore
12-26-2007, 17:46
I got the classic controller, since a lot of Wii downloads don't work right with Gamecube controller.