5 day waiting period w/ CPL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 5 day waiting period w/ CPL?

mattyk6
11-21-2007, 08:38
If you have a concealed pistol license, do you still have to wait the 5 business days to leave the store w/ a pistol?

Thanks!

PaulBk
11-21-2007, 08:58
No, your CPL 'supercedes' the 5 day wait. You still have to pass the 'instant check' though.

-Paul

mattyk6
11-21-2007, 09:18
Thanks.

Matt

nwsalmon
11-23-2007, 08:11
I have a CPL and have had to wait 5 days for the last two handguns I've purchased. For some reason I didn't pass the instant check. My dealer says it may be because I purchased both handguns within one month.

MCPreacher
11-23-2007, 08:12
That sucks... just because you bought 2 in a month? Glad we don't have to put up with that down here.

nwsalmon
11-23-2007, 08:18
I agree...it does suck. I had bought some upgrades for my last purchase...a G26...and was hoping to do the upgrades this weekend since I'm off for a few days. Looks like I'm not getting the gun until Tuesday now...bummer.

PaulBk
11-23-2007, 14:09
My dealer says it may be because I purchased both handguns within one month.

AFAIK, that shouldn't trigger a rejection.

That sucks... just because you bought 2 in a month? Glad we don't have to put up with that down here.

Ah, but you do. The 'instant check' is federal, isn't it?

-Paul

MCPreacher
11-23-2007, 15:11
AFAIK, that shouldn't trigger a rejection.

Ah, but you do. The 'instant check' is federal, isn't it?

-Paul

From the NC.GOV website's "North Carolina Firearms Laws" publication:

On February 28, 1994, the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act became law. The Brady Law established numerous procedures to govern purchases of firearms from federally licensed firearms dealers. On November 30, 1998, the permanent provisions of the Brady Law took effect. The permanent provisions of the Brady Law provide for the establishment of a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) that federally licensed firearms dealers must contact before transferring any firearm (handgun or long gun) to individuals. 28 CFR 25.1 The NICS system is operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Prior to the sale taking place, the firearm’s dealer will have the purchaser complete and sign BATF Form 4473, Firearms Transactions Record. 27 CFR 478.124(a) The dealer will then verify the identity of the purchaser by examining a government issued photo identification card (for example, a driver’s license). 27 CFR 478.124(c)(3)(I) The dealer will then contact NICS. The NICS Center will respond to the dealer with either a “proceed,” “denied” or “delayed” response. If a “denied” response is received, the dealer will provide the person with literature on their appellate rights. If a “delayed” response is received and there is no additional response from the system, the sale can take place after three (3) business days have elapsed. 27 CFR 478.102(a)(1) Federal Firearms Licensees’ (FFLs) must keep a copy of each BATF 4473 for which a NICS check has been initiated, regardless
of whether the transfer of the firearm was completed. If the transfer is not completed, the FFL must keep the Form 4473 for five (5) years after the date of the NICS inquiry. If the transfer is completed, the FFL must keep the Form 4473 for 20 years after the date of the sale or disposition. 27 CFR 478.129(b)

North Carolina's pistol permitting and concealed carry permit laws qualify as an alternative to the requirements of the Brady Law. Therefore, when a person desires to purchase a handgun from a federally-licensed dealer, the person needs to comply solely with North Carolina's pistol permit laws, and present a valid permit to purchase a handgun or valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit.

So... Yes but no.

Yes, the permanant provisions of the Brady laws created the NICS, a federally mandated program.

But, if the state has procedures in place that meet or better the existing legislation, they can dispense with the NICS provision.

No, in that NC has such provisions in place and any legitimate holder of a Pistol Purchase Permit OR a CCW (since they have already gone through the checks) can purchase and take home any weapon they can legally own without going through a NICS check at the point of sale.

PaulBk
11-23-2007, 16:26
Ok, just so I understand, in N.C. the holder of a valid CCP undergoes no additional check prior to purchase? If so, bravo. but that is something I didn't know...

-Paul

MCPreacher
11-23-2007, 16:33
Ok, just so I understand, in N.C. the holder of a valid CCP undergoes no additional check prior to purchase? If so, bravo. but that is something I didn't know...

-Paul

Correct sir. NC has a pretty cool system worked out (it is not what I consider ideal, it is still better than others). CCW holders can walk in, fill out the papers, pay and walk out with no other hoops.

They also have a purchase permit system. You get your purchase permit ahead of time and go through NICS at the Sheriff's office, up to three at once, and they are good for a year. Any time during that year you can go an pick your pistol(s) of choice and go, no more hoops.

Microbomb
12-06-2007, 23:48
Yep. I have bought more than 1 pistol in a month and never have had to wait the 5 days in WA. Having to wait twice seems really strange. Maybe you are on the "watch list"?

cimpala
12-11-2007, 20:34
i got six purchase permits at one time good for five years

ICHI
12-11-2007, 20:44
my first gun purchase in WA took about 30 min? with a WA CPL with no wait. comming from CA I was in shock walking out the door with my new pistol that day

Glockster_James
04-07-2008, 17:31
Yep. I have bought more than 1 pistol in a month and never have had to wait the 5 days in WA. Having to wait twice seems really strange. Maybe you are on the "watch list"?

I agree that the person maybe on a watch list or something. Or perhaps not providing a social security number or something which is delaying them.

Either way I know its not the number of guns being purchased. I've purchased 5 handguns in less than 7 days and not once been delayed. And best of all...I'm in and out of the dealer in under 15 minutes if I want. :)