11-21-07 -- Site Upgrade Progress Report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 11-21-07 -- Site Upgrade Progress Report

Eric
11-21-2007, 19:19
Folks, as I said in my last update, GT's new database server was damaged by a power surge, when a contractor at my hosting facility inadvertently cut power to my cabinet. I am having trouble transferring GT onto the servers I have available to me, so I can repair the primary box. Of the boxes that were running GT before the upgrade that are powerful enough to serve as temporary boxes, one is now running the firewall and the other is in pieces, being rebuild. Of the new servers bought to replace the old stuff, the primary box is damaged, neither of the other two is powerful enough to host the site by itself and I am having trouble making them work together in a front-end/back-end config. Plus, neither has the HD speed and throughput to easily handle the database functions.

I have been working on the problem for a couple of weeks now and I think I have a temporary setup ready that will handle the load of the site. I will most likely change things over tomorrow, while everyone is eating Turkey and watching football. Then, I will go down Friday and repair and rebuild the RAID array and OS on the new primary box. I will then transfer the flag back over to the new primary box over the weekend, if everything goes according to plan. This whole situation is a curve-ball that I didn't and could not have predicted before it occurred, but I am doing my best to work through the situation as quickly as possible.

Sometimes this sort of work is so damned frustrating. It must be even more frustrating for all of you, who don't always have up-to-date info on what is going on, or any power to do anything about it. I am sorry for the trouble folks. I am also sorry I haven't worked harder to keep you all in the loop on what was happening. In my defense, this has been the most stressful and frustrating time I have ever experienced. AS SOON AS I get this server repair behind me, I will get the paid tier finished. The hard part is already behind us. The rest of the work is actually the kind of stuff I really enjoy doing and it will sure as hell be good to get everything online.

You have all been very patient and I won't you to know how much I appreciate that. If everything goes smoothly, we will be back on the primary equipment by next Tuesday or Weds. Once that is done, I am going to start on the new site front page, followed by the gallery system and classified ads software. I will post updates when the server situation is completed and as each of the new systems come online. Once the main systems are up, I am going to concentrate on getting the new membership tier added to the site and getting everyone who has bought a membership sorted into their levels. At that point, the membership icons will come online and people will start having access to the first of the new paid features. It might not seem like it, but we are almost there. Bear with me a little longer. thanks again to everyone. Eric

TBO
11-21-2007, 21:03
Eric,

Please make sure you have time to partake in some turkey/family time yourself.
I'll never claim to be a "tek guy", but am the go-to-guy at my work place. While I use to enjoy computers/tech, I now have no problem telling people "I hate computers".

Happy Holidays

TBO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/cheers2.gif

Bogey
11-21-2007, 21:31
What TBO said.

Thanks for the update, and I hope you are doing well.

Happy Thanksgiving.

intheburbs
11-21-2007, 21:37
Make sure you take at least a little time to eat, drink and be merry.

We appreciate your Herculean effort.

m2hmghb
11-22-2007, 08:02
Thanks for all the hard work you've been doing Eric, and thank you for the update. Don't stress yourself out or work too hard, it will get done when it's ready and not a moment sooner.

sx-al
11-22-2007, 12:05
Thank you Eric for busting your rear on Thanksgiving. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well.

Al

9mm Luger
11-22-2007, 13:31
Thanks for the update and all of your hard work.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Glockdude1
11-22-2007, 16:56
Happy Thanksgiving Eric!!!

HerrGlock
11-22-2007, 17:11
I know ENTIRELY too well.

What should take 10 minutes takes 3 weeks. What should take a week takes 3 months. The easiest thing ends up being a weekend project from hell.

Do what needs done and we'll be here (and probably grumbling) when it comes back up :)

Take time to rest up too.

Alan Antopol
11-22-2007, 18:01
Eric,

Thanks for the update! Hope your health is good!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Alan

RussP
11-22-2007, 20:47
Thank you, sir!

IndyGunFreak
11-23-2007, 01:25
As someone who had to work all day on Thanksgiving...

WORK YOUR FINGERS TO THE BONE! ;)

Take it easy Eric, even with the problems(which I've hardly noticed), GT is still "home". Hope all goes well and you can get to the things you enjoy doing quickly!

Thanks Eric!

IGF

ander
11-23-2007, 11:59
Thanks Eric, we will still be here. Take a break and enjoy time with your family.

Gary

Jake44460
11-23-2007, 18:20
Dittos on what everyone has all ready said regarding your efforts.

I suppose that mechanical problems may be a reason for my email notifications still not working??

Hope all is running again soon.

Thanks again!

ps.

I think I see a piece of leftover pie in your fridge...you better get it before I do!

Norman
11-23-2007, 22:22
Thanks for the update. I admit, I was just now wondering when GT was going to get back to normal. However, you need to enjoy your priorities first too, just like we all do.

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for this place.

Gallium
11-24-2007, 06:06
fix the damn boat already.

I'm working up the nerve to tell my wife I want one.

:)

What everyone else said. Put a little LESS wear and tear on your body, huh?

'Drew

crazy
11-24-2007, 06:18
I have only been here a short time, but look forward to GT every day.....as others have noted don't stress it, things will sort out in their due time

novaDAK
11-26-2007, 01:42
keep up the good work Eric, everyone here I'm sure definately appreciates it :)

Take it easy and don't work too hard :D

TBO
11-26-2007, 18:38
Smilies are up! :snoopy:

sdsnet
11-26-2007, 19:35
Thanks for everything Eric. Having been in the IT industry for 20 years I know how it goes. You really have done a great job keeping the site running even though a major event occurred. We really appreciate it.

Blitzer
11-28-2007, 13:36
Two thumbs up Eric!

:thumbsup: :number1::perfect10:

Too bad I couldn't lend you a hand me being a hardware and software remediation kind of guy.

;)

I would have folded my hand, and sat in the corner sucking my thumb by now, if I were alone on the quest!

:crazy:

SomeDay
11-28-2007, 21:48
Good work Eric and thanks for the update.

Glolt20-91
12-01-2007, 23:33
Take care Eric, give these Glockers time enough to recuperate from the virtues of the 1911. :supergrin:

Bob :cowboy:

EASTTEXGLOCKER
11-22-2009, 13:30
Eric you are appreciated so much for all that you do and have done. Just remember we are all here on this old earth for a short time . So take time out to enjoy family and friends this thanksgiving.

Gallium
11-22-2009, 15:41
And a big thank you to EastTexasGlocker for the brand spanking new to me heart attack! :)
:wavey::supergrin:

'Drew

Glockdude1
11-22-2009, 16:55
And a big thank you to EastTexasGlocker for the brand spanking new to me heart attack! :)
:wavey::supergrin:

'Drew

You eating a bacon cheeseburger from the http://www.heartattackgrill.com ?

:tongueout:

Glock-it-to-me
02-14-2010, 02:32
http://images1.cafepress.com/product/362020221v3_225x225_Front.jpg