Cold weather got you down? Ride WARM! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather got you down? Ride WARM!

MCPreacher
11-23-2007, 08:39
I commute on my bike all year long and the cold has always been an issue when riding.

I know, you idiots in the yankee frozen North are shaking your head and saying to yourselves, "What the heck is that pansy whining about? We got 10,000 feet of snow!"

Before you start whining, just think about 3 months with temps of over 100 degrees. You yankees would be dropping in the street. It's all about what you are used to...

Anyway....

Last winter it got down to 13 degrees for my morning ride and I vowed to find something that would be:

A) Warm
B) At least water resistant
C) Not so bulky it makes riding difficult
D) Would not melt on the hot cases
E) Abrasion resistance so if you do lose it on an ice patch you are sucking.

I think I found the right setup, finally. Not perfect, but if I wanted to be totally separated from the elements I would drive my car (or a Goldwing)

I went riding this morning with temps at a crisp 34 degrees and was comfortable at 80mph on the freeway.

Jeans
Long-sleeve T-shirt
Carhartt "Extremes Arctic Quilt Lined Coveralls" ($150 on line)
Waterproof boots
Gauntlet Gloves
Glove liners
Scarf
3/4 helmet

I have tried several types of coveralls and these are the first, non-ski-suit-melt-to-the-pipes-and-your-leg coveralls I have found that are windproof. There was a little bit of leakage at the chest where the slipstream coming over the top of the bars hits me, and a little bit at the leg cuffs, but not bad at all, though the cuffs could have been because I did not snap the bottom snap.

The boots are just generic water-proog rancher-style boots that I wear all the time and the gauntlets are some cheapy lined ones I picked up a long time ago at a show for $20. The scarf keeps the cold air from coming up under the face shield on the 3/4 helmet.

The only bad thing is that it was warming up rapidly this morning. By the time I got back, it was between 40 and 45 and I would start to sweat at stoplights. This is NOT a suit you want to wear unless it is really cold out!

codivecop
11-23-2007, 11:01
The Carharts were actually recommended to me last year by the VERY CUTE sales lady at the Harley shop. I was looking for something for a long, cold ride. We knelt down and she said, "None of the guys in the back wear this (pointing at the chaps and pants) stuff. They all wear Carhart insulated coveralls."

After thanking her for her time, I went to the local Murdocks and bought a black set of coveralls.

In Mar '06 I rode from Denver to Pheonix via I-70 to Moab then south. Needless to say, it was COLD. But I faired OK with my heated gloves and coveralls. I do wish I had a heated jacket liner and maybe pants liner for the 8-10'ish hours of sub-freezing temps BEFORE windchill was figued in.

Since I am doing the ride again this year, I may get some heaters.

MCPreacher
11-23-2007, 12:45
I love Carhartt and have several jackets and even some insulated overalls, but most of their stuff is not windproof. As far as I can tell, just thier arctic stuff is guaranteed windproof and it was worth the extra money!

fnfalman
11-24-2007, 03:18
With all the riding gears out there ranging in colors from commando black to clown neon yellow and that are practically Mother Nature proof not to mention armored and abrasion resistant, why do you guys wear clothes that are made for construction work?

MCPreacher
11-24-2007, 05:38
With all the riding gears out there ranging in colors from commando black to clown neon yellow and that are practically Mother Nature proof not to mention armored and abrasion resistant, why do you guys wear clothes that are made for construction work?

Because I just didn't want to spend 2 or 3 times the money for cold weather motorcycle gear for the 6 or 7 days a year I will actually need it here in NC.

Although I ride all winter long, I am in North Carolina and not Maine. ;)

Rikki
11-24-2007, 07:32
Just yesterday I went to local Go Kart shop- they got driving suits- about 110-180 bucks-very windproof...

norton
11-26-2007, 16:22
I highly recommend electric riding gear, especially electric vests. They work like nothing else I have ever tried. I always had trouble with my fingertips and then my feet getting cold, even with thick insulated gloves. Keeping the center mass of your body warm, keeps the blood flowing to the extremities.

wolfy692005
12-04-2007, 15:59
I highly recommend electric riding gear, especially electric vests. They work like nothing else I have ever tried. I always had trouble with my fingertips and then my feet getting cold, even with thick insulated gloves. Keeping the center mass of your body warm, keeps the blood flowing to the extremities.

Living in Fl now, i for sure do not need heaters... hell its 80 something outside right now.:) but coming from St. Louis i know cold. I never had a problem with it personally. sweat shirt under leather jacket.. i think i wore chaps once. Fingers got cold, if i were there i would do something for good gloves. Riding through the moutains in VA. last year in Feb i wish i has decent gloves.. I will be doing that ride again but it will be in may i thinkg this year.
Good riding to all
Wolfy
\

xrmattaz
12-06-2007, 07:33
:faint:Rode up and around Flagstaff, AZ yesterday morning, with temps in the low 20's.

Wearing my new Gerbings heated liner under the Aerostich Roadcrafter....combined with Warm and Safe heated gloves. Kept having to turn the heat DOWN, as I was getting TOO warm......

I like 'lectrics!

Thorazine
12-24-2007, 03:33
One benefit of Florida. =)

Perfect riding weather today and tomorrow and the day after that...

Not so perfect during the super hot summer [sizzle sizzle].

codivecop
12-27-2007, 16:25

To answer your question---$$$$$$$$

The Carharts work well and were 1/2 the cost of other gear. And I really only wear it when it is below freezing and I am riding for over an hour. The cold doesn't stop me here, the ice on the road does however!:upeyes:

But to each his own. I would rather see someone riding with "construction" clothing than parking the bike because they can't afford insulated "riding gear"

White Buffalo
12-30-2007, 02:53
Honestly, I think your sig line says it all... It works just as well (for the most part) and I don't have to dress up like a power ranger... and the cost is most certainly a factor when all things considered.

desmo
12-30-2007, 23:54
if he was to go down in all that cold weather gear. it would probably hold up better than some of the lower end full leathers, and most of the cold weather suits. i say wear what works for you.

MatGlock
12-31-2007, 22:16
You will never regret buying decent motorcycle-specific riding year.....I love to listen to guys who won't flinch at paying $15-$20K for a cycle, but won't spend more that $100 on a helmet or $250 on riding gear.

Buy the best riding gear you can afford. If you can afford to spend more than $3000 on a bike you can afford to spend $1000 on riding gear.

beemerphile
12-31-2007, 23:33
Gerbings heated clothing under an Aeostich down to 30 degrees, and Gerbings under a Hein Gericke Tuareg suit below that. Both with an Arai full face helmet and mountaineering mittens.

ndbullet500
01-08-2008, 04:57

I second that, or as they say, "+1".

I have a Widder vest, it wasn't that expensive, maybe $150 but that's just a guess and I'm too lazy to Google it. Even though I don't use it that often, I am glad I have it for the times I do. Good gloves, even if non-heated, are a big difference maker too. Cold hands are not a good thing on a MC.

MCPreacher
01-08-2008, 05:14
As a follow-up...

I rode last week for a couple of days in 11F temps and all I had to wear under this suit was a wind-proof vest (there is a little air leakage at the chest zipper). At freeway speeds, with wind chill down in the negative 30's, I was snug as a bug in a rug (do people still say that?)

HammboneG19
01-08-2008, 23:26
may i also suggest the following thermal gear. GI Extreme Cold Weather Poly Pro Thermal... about 45 bucks shipped...

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/subcat/322/GI_Extreme_Cold_PolyPro_Thermals

let me tell you... these thermals are awsome. they are the only thermals that i have found that you don't have to be moving alot in order to stay warm. if you ride alot of interstate (which i hate doing... too straight if you know what i mean) then you aren't moving around much or not enough to generate alot of body heat. these work perfect and you don't have to wear so much clothing that you feel like the michelin man while riding. lol also heated grips are easy to install and are well worth it if you ride when it is cold. i have a 05 Honda CBR 600 RR and it only took me about an hour from start to finish. it is a great mod to do if you are planning to install new grips soon.