Bags under the eyes.. how do I fix them? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bags under the eyes.. how do I fix them?

mike253
11-25-2007, 21:39
Ok, I give up..

I've had bags under my eyes since I can remember (it's a family thing, can't fix that) but for the last few years, I've had dark circles to go with them. I look exhausted all the time regardless of how much sleep I get :(

Is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

SouthernGal
11-26-2007, 07:54
I've been using MaryKay's TimeWise® Targeted-Action™ Eye Revitalizer for a few months now and it seems to have cut down on any dark appearance I have under my eyes. I'm over 35 and I don't use concealer because I don't have to.

...but, I'm a chick. I realize some guys might think that using such a product forfeits your man card.

You could always try it for 3 or 4 weeks and see if it works. Mary Kay offers a money back guarantee on all their skin products.

AV1911
11-26-2007, 10:54
There are many fade creams on the market that should work quite well and can be bought at any CVS, Rite Aid, etc. for under $10.00. Just check to make sure that they are safe for the eye area.

MB-G26
11-27-2007, 00:01
Do you know whether you may have an underactive thryoid? Two of the symptoms are the dark circles 24/7, along w/constant feeling of exhaustion despite getting plenty of restful sleep. You mentioned "looking" exhausted - but do you often "feel" that way as well?

As for the puffiness, wet regular tea bags and smush so they are saturated but not dripping all over the place, then apply to the bags under your eyes while laying down (for several obvious reasons, including gravity ;) )

There's also a quite a few 'gel' products which claim to reduce eye bags - usually these are a clear gel rather than an opaque cream. Sally Hansen makes one, I think. There's several types/brands I've seen OTC @ Walgreens, just for example. Avon used to have one which worked pretty well, I thought, and didn't have the extreme drying effect that one product (forget the name) which I tried did.

mike253
11-27-2007, 13:05
Thanks for all of the help ladies. I'd read about the various creams but figured the ads were just BS. I'll have to try one (that is NOT made by Mary Kay:).

No underactive thyroid for me, the dark circles and puffyness seem to kinda run in the family :(

MB-G26
11-27-2007, 17:30
No underactive thyroid for me, the dark circles and puffyness seem to kinda run in the family :(

Hum. You can also try ensuring that your head is comfortably elevated in bed when you go to sleep, and worst case scenario 1st thing in the morning when confronted with unwanted 'eye bags' - dampen a wash cloth, then on one side place one ice cube spaced to touch your left, and then one for your right, eyes, fold one thickness of wash cloth over the ice, and apply - giving the ice a few minutes to reduce the puffiness.

Similarly, slices of COLD cucumber, only sans the washcloth. I don't know that there's any active substance in cukes - maybe this reportedly works because it functions as a 'cold compress'. It's the tanic acid in the regular tea bags that does the trick, btw.

(I'm one of those poor souls that can't "cry gracefully" and look human afterward, for example. Instead, crying - although I do try to avoid doing so - swells my upper and lower lids up like somebody that's just liberally applied pepper spray. Thereafter, tea bags at least manage to return my eyes to something resembling a human being.)

Do you "retain water" (no PMS jokes, Dears....) some people do, especially as a side effect of certain meds, irrespective of gender. If so (ever have puffy hands, fingers, feet, ankles?) this might be something to discuss w/a medical practitioner.

Allergies possibly aggravating the problem?

coastalcop
11-28-2007, 03:48
Just tattoo "samsonite" or "Tourister" on them and call it the new plastic surgery. Seriously though, I use a wet hot compress (to open pores and get blood flowing, followed by very cold one ( to tighten the skin), while it doesnt fix it all the way or all the time, it works better than nothing and it low time/ cost investment.

and yeah I still got my man card, I just keep it in the War Departments purse cause I want to lol

Lynn D
11-28-2007, 07:20
Lots of good advice here....

I throw this one out there though. I know that there are folks out there with dark circles caused by untreated allergies. Usually environmental ones. Might be something to look into. Just a thought.

Best of luck.

Patricia
11-30-2007, 06:41
I love Mary Kay's products but have not tried their under eye stuff yet. I do use Avon's Anew Alternative Intensive Eye Cream and have had great results with it. It is a wonderful moisturizer and helps with dark circles.

I work for a dermatologist's office and we carry the Kinerase line. I tried their intensive eye cream and I didn't like it near as much as Avon's (and it is a LOT more expensive, even with my employee discount).

Mrs. VR
11-30-2007, 14:09
it runs in our family too, even the kids have them. I don't even notice them on myself even though i have them, because it's just part of who we are. Mary Kay stuff is very good though, I know from their other products I use.

d3athp3nguin
12-02-2007, 01:49
I'm on computers all the time, I stay up late, and i have allergies, so my baggy eyes are well-earned. I never thought about trying to reduce them though; I might try some of the suggestions on this board...

digitsmaw
12-02-2007, 18:51
And then there's the "secret" that the movie stars use all the time... just the tiniest bit of Preparation H being carefull not to get it INTO your eyes. A touch before bed and a touch in the AM will have you luggage free in no time. Oh and this is supposed to be a temporary fix even if all the medical reasons above apply to you.