Night Bass fishing.. Small ponds/farm ponds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Night Bass fishing.. Small ponds/farm ponds

MrMurphy
05-08-2002, 10:06
Anybody do it? Any advice? Guy I know has two ponds on/next to his property, he's never nightfished for anything but catfish, I've night-bass fished but only a few times. Tips, tricks, etc appreciated.

glockster96
05-08-2002, 10:10
Necessary Equipment:

Fishing Pole
Bait
Lots of Beer

Bait hook, cast out and prop pole up so it looks like your fishing. Drink beer. Repeat as needed. ;f ;c

MrMurphy
05-08-2002, 11:33
Serious advice only please. :) I do not need advice on how to get drunk.

flinch
05-08-2002, 11:36
1. Know the terrain and the water. Spend a few days scouting out likely spots and figure out your casting lanes.

2. Bug repellant.

3. If you use a flashlight, put on a red filter or turn away from the water.

4. Use something that generates a lot of noise. Ratt-L-Traps or spinner baits are good.

5. It's scary at night. I've been buzzed by a heron, and it scared the heck out of me.

6. Be prepared for some seriously large fish. My last night trip coughed up a 24" walleye. Next time, I'm hoping for some trout.

jame
05-08-2002, 12:10
Good surface baits like poppers or floating frogs will do well, also. Just make sure you know the terrain before you go. As previously mentioned, outdoors-night and outdoors-day are two completely different worlds.

Oh. The beer thing really is a good idea.;f

TheBigCA
05-08-2002, 12:19
Find a light emitting lure, or use Jitter Bugs. My dad and I caught record setting bass in upstate New York with the Jitter Bugs.

I think that in a pond, like you describe, the bass will attack anything and you'll probably be able to use a marshmallow.

If you're lucky, there might be a monster or two in the ponds.

Wish I could go with ya. :cool:

PieceBwithU
05-08-2002, 14:12
I'd try topwater baits, plastic frogs, lizards, etc.
I've had some success in the early evening with a medium sized buzz bait fished around some cover. Man ,I'd love to fish on a private pond at night, you just may land that LUNKER!
Good luck and let us know how you did!;)

BIG C IN BIG D
05-08-2002, 15:28
Bug repellant a chair a light a cooler some Bug repellant. A radio some more Bug repellant. Bait. Bug repellant. It's fine fishing especialy for Bass and other nocturnal things like Snakes. ;)

I love to bank fish at night it's cool and quiet I love it.

scoop
05-09-2002, 00:50
i fish a few irragation ponds here in N.C. but no way id fish em at night.too damm many snakes!

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-09-2002, 00:51
My best bass to date came at night, in a small pond.

I was using minnows.

It's nice to catch crappies and catfish while waiting on the bass.

PP

badbilly429
05-09-2002, 05:47
bass nail hula poppers all nite on my canal

MrMurphy
05-09-2002, 07:43
This advice wasn't for me, it was for the guy I work with. I was figuring plastic crawdads, worms on the bottom, frogs on topwater, funky "what the hell is it?" plastic wormlike lures, buzzbaits and spoons maybe. I wasn't too far off.

BLiTzNicK
05-14-2002, 15:04
I can only speak from my local experience.

1. Live crawdads (if you are a sissy you can tear the pinchers off)
2. Pole
3. Reel (optional)
4. Line (mono)
5. A nice lawn chair
6. Something that goes BOOM (read GLOCK) incase something other than the bass are biting
7. Beer (omit if you do 6)
8. Hooks
9. Egg sinkers
10. Blacklight

Turn the blacklight on, it will help you see while producing little light. It also helps the mono to glow(you can see your line)Rig the line with the egg sinker(clip on type) about a foot up from the hook. Run the hook through the crawdads tail. They swim backwards so this works quite nicely. Cast and wait. I've caught more than my fair share this way. Crawdads are, however, easy to catch here and the bass thrive on them. You should adapt your live bait to what you see swimming in the lakes, ponds, and streams in your area.