Gifts for the local FD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for the local FD

Glockenbang76
11-27-2007, 07:16
I live in South Florida and will be starting my application process after EMT class is over in December. There is this one department which I really want to work with. They don't have any sort of volunteer section, but I want to show my face and some how develop some sort of report with them. I was thinking about dropping cookie trays off at each of the stations on Christmas. Is there any sort of holiday related thing I could do for this fire department that would help me get my foot in the door with them?

This forum and its subscribers have helped me with so many other aspects of the academy, training, etc. Any ideas, I would love to hear.
Thanks

1985 4Runner
11-27-2007, 09:08
Just be yourself.

Stop by after 5pm & just ask for a few minutes to talk. Tell them that you want to work with them & you will probably get some good pointers.

D25
11-27-2007, 11:39
Just be yourself.

Stop by after 5pm & just ask for a few minutes to talk. Tell them that you want to work with them & you will probably get some good pointers.

+1.

Cookies work too. But it's most important to just be yourself.

waterman
11-27-2007, 21:21
Just ask if you can do a ride along.

Glockenbang76
11-28-2007, 08:41
I've already spoke to the department and know what they require and so forth (One of my EMT instructors works for the dept. I'm interested in). For insurance reasons, the dept. doesn't allow ride-alongs. I'm just looking to drop something off on Christmas and hopefully build some sort of report. I'm asking the GT community what item is always welcome. I know that for safety reasons, some departments will not take homemade items. I could go with cookies, but I think every Tom Dick and Harry will drop those off. I'd like to bring something unique.
Any ideas?

1985 4Runner
12-08-2007, 09:58
If you came by my station and brought cookies to go with the steaks you brought, now that would stand out.

Glockenbang76
12-11-2007, 08:23
I guess I'm going with cookies. Every FF I spoke to says, "We're not picky. Cookies would rock." What about bagels and cream cheese for a morning delivery? If you had a choice of a cookie platter or bagels and doughnuts, what would you choose?
I have this delusion that all FFs are super into healthy eating. However, the ones I spoke to, lit up when I mentioned cookies. With this in mind, I'm thinking that a platter of natural snacks from Whole Foods would make me look like some kind of fruit.
Time is ticking away. If something comes to mind, let me know.
Many Thanks,
T

swatmdc
12-14-2007, 10:33
If the department is of any decent size, then what you do along these lines really won't matter much. Most departments down here use several forms of screening to weed out potential candidates. The best thing you could do would be to complete as much schooling as you can and make yourself as competitive as possible, as well maintain a clean record. There are several departments around that will allow you to ride along, as well there are ways to volunteer and some areas have CERT programs. Do not think you will get a job right away, most departments are looking at laying off or eliminating positions in the upcoming year, and most are in freezes right now. We are having MAJOR issues with the property tax fiasco.

As a side note, since most departments are going to require you to become a paramedic before they are even willing to look at you, you may want to consider nursing school as an alternative. When you get your RN's license, you can also challenge your paramedic exam in Florida. So you spend the same amount of time in school, have less of a wait, and have a license that you can use to make $40-50 an hour while waiting for a job instead of $12 for an ambulance.

Glockenbang76
12-14-2007, 16:22
I was just asking about cookie trays, but thanks for the advice.

miked36258
12-14-2007, 22:43
dude if you brough cookies to the station we would probably laugh at you and talk about how dumb it was to bring cookies down to the station. i know this sounds mean but it is the truth. like the others have said you need to worry about your education. you may have your heart set on this particular department but in a field that is so competative you should take ANY opening you can get. dont waste your time with cookies, you will just get made fun of.

Glockenbang76
12-15-2007, 16:06
dude if you brough cookies to the station we would probably laugh at you and talk about how dumb it was to bring cookies down to the station. i know this sounds mean but it is the truth. like the others have said you need to worry about your education. you may have your heart set on this particular department but in a field that is so competative you should take ANY opening you can get. dont waste your time with cookies, you will just get made fun of.

I do appreciate the honesty, however your opinion is the first one out of the many I have received that has contraindicated this gesture. I have to ask, do you guys make fun of every civilian who drops off treats to your dept? You know what... screw it. From what I'm gathering, a thoughtful offering doesn't really help in this field. I will fore-go the cookies and just continue with my plan to apply to the county voli dept, apply for any paid openings, and start paramedic in May. Once again, GT has provided me with sound feedback.
Thanks,
T

miked36258
12-15-2007, 17:17

DScottHewitt
12-15-2007, 22:41
I do appreciate the honesty, however your opinion is the first one out of the many I have received that has contraindicated this gesture. I have to ask, do you guys make fun of every civilian who drops off treats to your dept? You know what... screw it. From what I'm gathering, a thoughtful offering doesn't really help in this field. I will fore-go the cookies and just continue with my plan to apply to the county voli dept, apply for any paid openings, and start paramedic in May. Once again, GT has provided me with sound feedback.
Thanks,
T

Apparently GT did NOT provide you with good feedback. At least not any you seemed to want to hear. Around these parts, I work with PARAMEDICS that make $14.50 an hour. RNs make like $40+. If you can do your RN in the same amount of time, and then challenge for Medic, you might wanna take the advice offered and do it that way.....

A second career to fall back on. Cross-training that would help if you decide to become a Flight Medic. Better pay to support you and a family while you are working into a FF job. But, your choice.....

Scott

DScottHewitt
12-15-2007, 22:41
I was just asking about cookie trays, but thanks for the advice.

Great advice gets a smarmy answer.....

Scott

Glockenbang76
12-16-2007, 20:11
Great advice gets a smarmy answer.....

Scott

Scott,
I meant nothing mean or rude by the answer. Sorry if I offended. Sometimes lack of inflection in emails can give the wrong vibe. I apologize.

nate94gt
12-17-2007, 14:58
its true. Cookies wont cut it. Wanna get in w/ a FD you gotta know the civil service board, the chief, and the city HR peeps. Good luck knowing all of them man, its a tough gig. Get as many certs (medic, inspector, investigator, etc).

DScottHewitt
12-27-2007, 11:16
Best thing to bring is YOU. Show up. Get to know the guys and gals. Volunteer, if they have volunteer members. Or join the auxillary. Be there and be good at what you do to help. Take all the classes you can. Around here, we have a LOT of classes on weekends. Little jewels like already having ICS up to 400 or so and NFA Safety Officer, NFA Arson Detection, EVOC, CPR, First Aid, First Responder, EMT-B, ARFF, Leadership I, II, III, et cetera can make you shine above applicants that just have the "basics" and did not show themselves to be dedicated by APPLYING themselves.

If you can get the minimums required to apply BEFORE the application cycle, this helps.....

Scott

Sucka
12-27-2007, 18:08
When we used to get ride-a-longs, or just someone wanting to stop by they would always bring donuts, or cookies (which is great, don't get me wrong) but our department was pretty health conscious. It's the thought that counts of course, but a lot of times we would just pick at it, then throw it out after they left. A few guys brought in a bag of coffee beans, with their name written on it, so everyday you would see the name, and think about whoever brought it in, that stood out to me. Just something to think about. When i was a medic for AMR working out of a fire station, they had one guy who would always be a dick if someone brought in donuts, so i've seen it happen...lol