Buying Glocks Online...Taxes?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying Glocks Online...Taxes?!

ArkinDomino
11-27-2007, 23:50
So I was searching far and wide to buy my first G19 and G21SF. I found that glockworld.com had the best prices but I still needed a FFL dealer our here in LA. Glockworld.com told me that I did not have to pay sales tax because they are selling me merchandise from Wisconsin. The FFLs dealers here quoted me nearly $85 of fees for DOJ/etc and CA sales tax. They directed me here (http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub79b.pdf). I called up more FFLs and they all told me the same thing. I guess Arnold has to have his share eh? :upeyes:

EAJuggalo
11-28-2007, 01:14
It is not sales tax, it is Use Tax. Most states have a certain threshold under which you do not have to pay Use Tax on anything, but if you go over that threshold in a calender year you must pay Use Tax on everything purchased and brought in from out of state. I don't know how the law is in CA but in MN and IN you are required to calculate and pay this Tax, the shipping agent or FFL is not. The FFL is only doing the state and federally mandated background checks, not making the sale, the sale still takes place at the sellers place of business.

ArkinDomino
11-28-2007, 02:57
It is not sales tax, it is Use Tax. Most states have a certain threshold under which you do not have to pay Use Tax on anything, but if you go over that threshold in a calender year you must pay Use Tax on everything purchased and brought in from out of state. I don't know how the law is in CA but in MN and IN you are required to calculate and pay this Tax, the shipping agent or FFL is not. The FFL is only doing the state and federally mandated background checks, not making the sale, the sale still takes place at the sellers place of business.

Thats what I thought so too but all these FFLs here insist that they would charge me the CA 8.25%!

EAJuggalo
11-28-2007, 11:21
Here is what I've found on the Board of Equalization website. It mentions nothing about anybody collecting Use Tax, only that it must be reported and paid on you're income tax return.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqusetax.htm

cgwahl
11-28-2007, 11:25
It may be an LA thing. It could be because they are afraid not to, just in case. It could also be they are just going to pocket it.

Technically you are supposed to pay sales tax on stuff bought out of state, but rarely does anyone do so.

When I bought a pistol online, had it mailed to FFL, etc...I only had to pay the FFL fee's, not sales tax.

What I would do is find a pawn shop and see what they charge.

ArkinDomino
11-28-2007, 13:55
It may be an LA thing. It could be because they are afraid not to, just in case. It could also be they are just going to pocket it.

Technically you are supposed to pay sales tax on stuff bought out of state, but rarely does anyone do so.

When I bought a pistol online, had it mailed to FFL, etc...I only had to pay the FFL fee's, not sales tax.

What I would do is find a pawn shop and see what they charge.

The funny thing is that I actually already did that. I found a pawn shop here called "Once A Pawn a Time" with some dear old lady named Sandra. I walked in to inquire about her transfer fees but she proceeded to show me her elaborate gun sale. She sold me my NIB G19 for about $595 out the door. Cheapest I found than anywhere else! My waiting period ends this Friday! Wooo! :woohoo::banana::rock::teddy::devildance:

cgwahl
11-28-2007, 15:48
The funny thing is that I actually already did that. I found a pawn shop here called "Once A Pawn a Time" with some dear old lady named Sandra. I walked in to inquire about her transfer fees but she proceeded to show me her elaborate gun sale. She sold me my NIB G19 for about $595 out the door. Cheapest I found than anywhere else! My waiting period ends this Friday! Wooo! :woohoo::banana::rock::teddy::devildance:

haha, nice